How confident are you in the existence of a Supernatural Power?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:15:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  How confident are you in the existence of a Supernatural Power?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: How confident are you in the existence of a Supernatural Power? And how often do you meditate/pray?
1 - Absolutely confident

2 - Somewhat confident

3 - Not Sure

4 - Somewhat doubt

5 - Absolutely doubt

1 - Daily

2 - Weekly

3 - Monthly or less

4 - Never, but want to

5 - Never, don't want to

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: How confident are you in the existence of a Supernatural Power?  (Read 1671 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2017, 04:25:27 AM »
« edited: January 19, 2017, 04:27:24 AM by Jacobin American »

For me, I answered 3 and 5. I really don't know whether there exists a supernatural power or not, although I do tend to believe at least in the existence of some supernatural forces (such as spirits). Whether a supernatural power exists or not, I am pretty confident that it is not what's described in common interpretations of any religious text (such as the Bible or Quran). While I can appreciate their complex philosophy and the severity of minds that have held these faiths dear; I cannot concur with them, but merely assert that, should some higher force exist, the best way of understanding it is through the overlapping elements of the world's faiths and personal exploration.

As for meditation/prayer, while I've read there are some positive health benefits that can be derived from it, I simply am not interested in spending time meditating or praying. I find it rather uninteresting.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 12:05:33 PM »

If I'm defining what it is, I choose Option 2.  If I'm just using the umbrella term "higher consciousness of some sort" as a synonym for "God," then Option 1 (possibly 1.5).

As for the second thing, I tend to pray about once a week, usually for older family members, thinking (using some real mental gymnastics) that maybe because they definitely pray a lot it's more meaningful if I pray for them.  I was doing a lot of praying during the MLB Playoffs, LOL (REALLY wanted my very old grandpa to see them win it once and people who didn't get how serious this was for Cubs families could  right the hell off!).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 01:36:57 PM »

4/4
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 04:37:29 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2017, 04:39:50 PM by Blue3 »

I don't believe God is supernatural.

But I believe in trinity of God, Jesus as the incarnation, and the Holy Spirit within and binding us all. As well as the physical resurrection of Jesus, and Heaven.

I'm pretty confident.

And I don't think Christians should abuse "prayer" for selfish desires. It should be more focused on thanks, maybe a plea for understanding. Perhaps, rarely, for well-being. We should accept the will of God.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 04:21:37 AM »

4/1 (anxious Kierkegaardian subject, abnormal).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 07:05:14 AM »

4/5
Deism doesn't bother me (and deism by strict definition wouldn't) as a metaphysical concept. Applying theism does (see discussions passim)

I found, even when I did pray, it unhelpful. As a 7 year old I used to peek at everyone else and think I was doing it wrong. Never felt anything and felt that it did nothing either for me or as an 'effect' on people or issues outside of me. Got into an Aspergers obsessive routine to try and 'get' it as a result that took a decade to overcome. Even joined the choir to approach it at a different musically 'transcendent' level. Good way to meet boys though.

Quaker service almost got me somewhere but by then I'd started to move on.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 09:11:39 AM »

5/5
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 11:39:01 AM »

But I believe in trinity of God, Jesus as the incarnation, and the Holy Spirit within and binding us all. As well as the physical resurrection of Jesus, and Heaven.

I'm pretty confident.

And I don't think Christians should abuse "prayer" for selfish desires. It should be more focused on thanks, maybe a plea for understanding. Perhaps, rarely, for well-being. We should accept the will of God.

How could a God that created the natural world, by definition, not be "supernatural"?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 01:30:16 PM »

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 01:59:59 PM »

I'm pretty confident.

How could a God that created the natural world, by definition, not be "supernatural"?
Both God and the universe are eternal, but God caused the Big Bang that began time/space/matter/energy. God is the first "element" of the universe, before time/space/matter/energy and after them.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 02:06:18 PM »

I'm pretty confident.

Both God and the universe are eternal, but God caused the Big Bang that began time/space/matter/energy. God is the first "element" of the universe, before time/space/matter/energy and after them.

The Big Bang ushered in the existence of the dimension we know as time, so I'd argue logic dictates that anything before it (assuming there was anything) HAD to be eternal (the entire concept of a beginning had, by definition, not been created yet) and anything after it that resides within the confines of time (as the physical Universe does) HAS to be finite.  So, I'm not sure both could be eternal.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 08:25:06 PM »

Doesn't matter. God either is, or isn't there; regardless of what we believe or how often we pray. God help us all.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 09:08:10 PM »

I'm actually increasingly tempted to disagree with this statement.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 09:52:11 PM »

Some terrifying middle ground!?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 10:02:53 PM »

I wouldn't call it a "middle ground". I'm saying that the statements "God exists" and "God does not exist" - along with a variety of other seemingly mutually exclusive metaphysical statements - might simultaneously be true.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 10:16:23 PM »

I wouldn't call it a "middle ground". I'm saying that the statements "God exists" and "God does not exist" - along with a variety of other seemingly mutually exclusive metaphysical statements - might simultaneously be true.

Given that my conceptualization of God is not as something that would be by human standards "empirically measurable", I would have to begrudgingly concur, though in no meaningful sense. That said, my main point--that whatever the facts may be, they are not affected by our beliefs--I believe holds true. Even if God exists for some and not for others, we are hardly in a position to decide that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 10:32:22 PM »

That said, my main point--that whatever the facts may be, they are not affected by our beliefs--I believe holds true. Even if God exists for some and not for others, we are hardly in a position to decide that.

I agree. I wasn't trying to say something like "God exists if you believe in Him": I know it would come across as insulting to many believers, and it's also far too individualistic for my own sensibilities.

What I mean is an elaboration on your point: that the realm of metaphysics, being not only "beyond nature" but also beyond human logic, could encompass propositions that we think of as contradictory. I think that IS meaningful. I think debates on religion would change a lot if people on both "sides" took this idea seriously.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 11:07:43 PM »

3/1.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 12:59:53 AM »

1/1 on the shorthand.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2017, 07:43:33 AM »

4/5.  I chose somewhat doubt, but the better answer for me is strongly doubt. But it would be silly for me to say that I know for sure. How could one say that?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 10:23:25 AM »

1/1, largely due to the phrasing of the question. I've had my doubts about the nature of God, but I've never doubted God in the sense of a first mover.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 10:42:58 AM »

1.5/1.5
Like RINO Tom and DC Al Fine, I'm confident the Divine exists, less so that my understanding of the One is correct. Also while I do meditate/pray several times a week, I wouldn't say I do that daily.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 05:38:50 PM »

1.3/1.8

I definitely think He exists, but I don't spend as much time as I think I should praying.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 09:28:42 PM »

4.5/5
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix