DNC Chair Poll & 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:07:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  DNC Chair Poll & 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who impressed you at the DNC Chair Debate? (for those who watched or read about it)
Pete Buttigieg

Keith Ellison

Jehmu Greene

Jamie Harrison

Tom Perez

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: DNC Chair Poll & 2020  (Read 2255 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2017, 06:40:44 PM »
« edited: January 19, 2017, 06:46:26 PM by SCNCmod »

For those who watched or read about it (I think its on Youtube if you're interested in viewing)....

1.  Who impressed you at the DNC Chair Debate?  
2.  And who would be most effective at providing Dems with the infrastructure needed for a successful 2020?
SCNCmod

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 06:43:44 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2017, 08:09:45 PM by SCNCmod »

I  was Very Impressed with Pete Buttigieg (and he may be a good fit in that he didn't take sides with Clinton or Sanders in 2016).  

Also:  Afghanistan Veteran, Harvard (magna cum laude), Rhodes Scholar (Oxford... degree in Philosophy, Politics, & Economics), lives in Rust Belt, enjoys Deer Hunting,  just turned 35 yrs old (millennial), Mayor working to revitalize advanced Manufacturing in his city (he's been Mayor of South Bend, Indiana for 5 years now.. & 2013 he tied with Mike Bloomberg for US Mayor of the Year), and has worked on Congressional & Gubernatorial campaigns.
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 06:58:37 PM »

I didn't watch it, but Pete Buttigieg seems like a very interesting guy. Also from his wikipedia page :

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He ticks all the boxes for being the future of the Democratic Party ! He really looks like a great candidate, but I'm afraid he doesn't have enough experience to be DNC chair. Ellison is probably way more qualified.

Also I'm afraid Buttigieg would have to quit his Mayor gig. He should rather run for national office in the next years in Indiana. He can be the gay Barack Obama, but this time with actual change.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 07:06:51 PM »

For now Ellison. Buttigieg seems OK, but I don't know if he has the experience.
SCNCmod

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:07:56 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2017, 07:46:24 PM by SCNCmod »

I disagree regarding lacking experience needed.  Military + 5 years as Mayor .. are more executive experience than congressman.

Buttigieg seems to have a strong grasp on what it takes to get out a message to win back (previous) Dem voters.  And he has the intelligence to get the systems in place logistically to make it happen.  Regarding his future... DNC chair would really elevate his profile and I'm not sure how he would fair at a run for state-wide office in the next 4 years in Indiana. (and if he is successful & Dems pick up a lot of congressional seats & elected offices in general over the next 4 years... he would gain even more credibility).

Also- If not Buttigieg ... I would pick Perez.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 07:20:18 PM »

I think the next DNC chairman should not be from the establishment, which might be another thing that hurt Hillary Clinton in the general election and could have resulted to the fact that some hardcore progressive voters stayed home instead of voting because Bernie Sanders brought more enthusiasm among millenials than Clinton.

So I believe the election of Keith Ellison will be another step to victory against Donald Trump in 2020 through mobolization of more millenials andn hardcore liberal and progressive voters.
SCNCmod

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 07:28:29 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2017, 07:49:00 PM by SCNCmod »

I think the next DNC chairman should not be from the establishment, which might be another thing that hurt Hillary Clinton in the general election and could have resulted to the fact that some hardcore progressive voters stayed home instead of voting because Bernie Sanders brought more enthusiasm among millenials than Clinton.

So I believe the election of Keith Ellison will be another step to victory against Donald Trump in 2020 through mobolization of more millenials andn hardcore liberal and progressive voters.

Do you really think Ellison would motivate millennials more than Buttigieg?  (I think the reverse... Buttigieg actually is a millennial himself).  

Also, there is a logistical sort of aspect to the DNC Chair's job regarding getting the best infrastructure in place, to promote successful nationwide victories.... Which I think Buttigieg would be extremely effective at (in addition to the right message).  

Maybe as important... Buttigieg could uniquely unite Sanders & Clinton wings of the party (or at least he could start with the confidence and support of both sides).
SCNCmod

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 10:32:17 PM »

Link to the debate Video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dnc-debate-livestream_us_587fed6ce4b02c1837e990af
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 11:03:00 PM »

I don't even consider myself a part of the left and I think Keith Ellison is a no-brainer here.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 12:58:23 AM »

Although I liked all of them (except the White woman, whoever she was), my support switched from Ellison to Buttiglieg. I think he has tremendous opportunity and is exactly what the Democratic Party needs at this moment. Honestly, I couldn't think of anyone better. What I'd like to see is Ellison promoted to Nancy Pelosi's current position in the House.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 02:20:18 AM »

You have to be really delusional to think millennials will vote millennials over older people? Why did Sanders sweep the young vote.

Having a military experience is no qualification for a DNC Chair IMO. Okay so he is mayor which is good but Ellison is a strong progressive, a Congressman & had chair of Congressional Progressive Caucus. I know people like the new kid rising up & give them a pass for everything, but it is time for Ellison.

People like the new shiny toy. I liked Buttiglieg a lot & with some experience, would like to see him run again in 2020.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 06:32:45 AM »

You have to be really delusional to think millennials will vote millennials over older people? Why did Sanders sweep the young vote.

Having a military experience is no qualification for a DNC Chair IMO. Okay so he is mayor which is good but Ellison is a strong progressive, a Congressman & had chair of Congressional Progressive Caucus. I know people like the new kid rising up & give them a pass for everything, but it is time for Ellison.

People like the new shiny toy. I liked Buttiglieg a lot & with some experience, would like to see him run again in 2020.

And yet Bernie Sanders excited a massive number of millenials despite being 75 years old.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 08:09:42 AM »

BTW I am not happy with Ellison, he has gone out of his way to be to be the center left establishment candidate.

He didn't think the DNC tried to influence the Dem primary with all the smear campaign against bernie, questions leaked & all. He turned away from his lobbyist ban saying he will consult with DNC members. He said he will ask Bernie to give away his list of supporters. Ellison has been meeting donors & Brock's people too.

Anyways the other Indiana guy should 1st get to Congress or be a Governor of sorts. You can't select a DNC Chair just because you have a young eloquent guy. I think Ellison will be doing the best job even though I am not very happy with him moving to the center.

I hope he appoints some people Raul G. & other strong progressives with him as Vice Chairs. If he is surrounded by people like the coal lobbyist in the DNC Debate then he will soon lose track.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 09:06:46 AM »

Buttigieg has won me over.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 09:17:02 AM »

I'm still in the tank for Ellison, but Buttigieg really impressed me. I don't think DNC Chair is the right position for him, but I could totally see him becoming Governor of Indiana in the near future. Hell, he could become a potential presidential candidate someday.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 10:28:59 AM »

Buttigieg's a sharp guy and he impressed me a lot, but at this point, anyone other than Ellison winning would be a disaster on the party unity front.
SCNCmod

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 03:31:31 PM »

And yet Bernie Sanders excited a massive number of millenials despite being 75 years old.

It always sort of drives me nuts when.. "Sanders got the youth vote" ... is immediately used to argue against the notion that younger candidates tend to appeal more to Under 30 voters.   Sanders obviously appealed to Under 30s... but I think its fair to say that a 75 year old energizing under 30s ... is the exception- not the Rule.  Under 30s ... in general ... naturally tend to identify more with younger candidates.  And Younger Candidates...in general... naturally tend to care more about issues that Under 30s care about.   Obviously this does not mean that there is never an exception to this general principle. 

The part regarding military, hunter, etc ... was just to say that it may be harder for red state dems to put Buttigieg in a box on certain issues... or it may make him more identifiable to rural voters (which is where Dems have been destroyed lately (i actually feel Hillary lost more with "Rural Voters" than with WWC). 

But also- I think DNC need to be a close to a full time job as possible (like when Howard Dean was chair).  Ellison being a congressman limits his ability to treat it as a full time job which is needed to set up the nationwide infrastructure needed to win again (DNC Chair is not a Policy position... but rather a logistical and structural implementer).
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 03:36:58 PM »

But also- I think DNC need to be a close to a full time job as possible (like when Howard Dean was chair).  Ellison being a congressman limits his ability to treat it as a full time job which is needed to set up the nationwide infrastructure needed to win again (DNC Chair is not a Policy position... but rather a logistical and structural implementer).

Ellison plans to resign his seat if he wins.
SCNCmod

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 03:39:29 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2017, 03:43:46 PM by SCNCmod »

I think Buttigieg has the perfect experience... Because
Dems are losing rural voters in towns that have been decimated by many factors.  Buttigieg took over as Mayor when South Bend (Indiana's 4th largest City) was ranked in the 10 worse cities in this regard... Now 5 years later, he has created a massive turnaround story and South Bend is almost seen as the poster child for Revitalization.  

He has proven he is more than just a Brilliant Rhodes Scholar who graduated near the top of his class at Harvard... Het has proven he can actually apply that intelligence to get results.  He also knows how to talk to people in diminishing rural communities that Dems are losing. And he can speak from a position "Not in Washington" and "not in Congress"
SCNCmod

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 03:42:40 PM »

Ellison plans to resign his seat if he wins.

I didn't realize that... It makes me feel a lot better about Ellison if he win the Chairmanship  (Although I still think Buttigieg is the better candidate for the message needed & for party unity)...
SCNCmod

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 12:16:02 AM »

Did anything happen at the DNC Chair forum tonight?  .. or any noteworthy developments?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 12:26:23 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2017, 12:31:52 AM by publicunofficial »

I'm still in the tank for Ellison, but Buttigieg really impressed me. I don't think DNC Chair is the right position for him, but I could totally see him becoming Governor of Indiana in the near future. Hell, he could become a potential presidential candidate someday.

My feelings exactly. Buttigieg has impressed me so much that I kinda feel like he should do something more important than DNC Chair.

Even before the debate, the fact that Buttigieg had the sense to be at the Women's March instead of wining-and-dining David Brock really really impressed me. I think the job is still Ellison's to lose, and I think Ellison will do a good job, but he's now a distant second in my heart.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 03:50:58 AM »

I like Tom Perez, even helped him at a restaurant I work at in LA, he was meeting with people. He's done a lot for the Labor movement, even if people want to combat him on policy. But seeing him on Bill Maher, not a great speaker, seems nervous and won't inspire the grassroots. I went with Ellison cause he does inspire the grassroots, I'm not a big fan of identity politics because you have to have substance in your policies and Ellison champions Progressive policy and right now people feel that they aren't with Trump because his rhetoric is attacking their identity and that works in the oppositions favor. If the Progressive wing party is behind him, I am too.
SCNCmod

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 08:09:22 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2017, 08:38:49 AM by SCNCmod »

My feelings exactly. Buttigieg has impressed me so much that I kinda feel like he should do something more important than DNC Chair.

Even before the debate, the fact that Buttigieg had the sense to be at the Women's March instead of wining-and-dining David Brock really really impressed me. I think the job is still Ellison's to lose, and I think Ellison will do a good job, but he's now a distant second in my heart.

Other DNC Chairs have been a pathway to Governor (Terry McAuliffe-  VA Gov) ... and I don't know if Buttigieg would be able to win statewide office in Indiana in the next 4 years.   (where as DNC Chair would give him a lot of name ID... and additional accomplishments).   

......I originally was for Dean (since he was a success in the position before).  Then I thought I would be for Perez... But I've become convinced that Buttigieg is absolutely the best choice... He is always on point & sharp as a tack (and he was the demeanor to give policy stances without coming across as overly partisan), he didn't wade into the Hillary/Bernie debate, He's been Hugely successful turning around a failing MidWest City...   And Most importantly - I think he has the sheer intellect & capability to successfully put together the infrastructure and game plan in place to allow Dems to win back elections across the country.

Buttigieg just seems to over-achieved & succeed in everything he's ever done... In High School- he won the JFK Profiles in Courage Essay (writing an essay about Bernie Sanders Courage), was Valedictorian & President of his High School......... Then Graduated with Honor from Harvard & was President of the Harvard Institute of Politics Student Advisory Committee..... Then went to Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar earning a degree in Philosophy, Politics and Economics.... Was elected Mayor of his home town of South Bend at age 29 (the youngest 100k+ population mayor at the time) ... and have more than succeeded in completely Turning around  a failing City.  I can't see him not being just as successful in the role of DNC Chair & helping Dems start winning elections again.
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »

non if anyone of these guys win they most likely end up screwing you guys they all anti white racist.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies