Why are most Democrats in the Atlas forum community staunch progressives?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:55:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why are most Democrats in the Atlas forum community staunch progressives?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why are most Democrats in the Atlas forum community staunch progressives?  (Read 2100 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 08:54:45 PM »
« edited: January 20, 2017, 09:00:18 PM by Frodo »

I notice most Atlas forum Democrats are firebrand progressives. Why is that? Most of my friends and relatives are the establishment neoliberal variety who live in CA-18, CA-47, CA-48, and CA-45, in Orange, Los Angeles, and Santa Clara counties, all districts and counties Bernie Sanders lost the primary. I also have a few relatives in Indiana who supported Clinton in the primary. Why are these Democrats almost nonexistent in the Atlas community? What background do a lot of forum community members come from?

Frodo from Virginia is very Blue Dog Democrat.
That is true, but Frodo seems to be an exception to the rule. Why is that. Even my relatives in Indiana (which Sanders won) supported Clinton. Most of my relatives are from middle-class backgrounds. Why is it that a large majority (but not all) forum Democrats are progressives?

I'm in my thirties, I have a full time job, I file my taxes every year...so in a way I just have a perspective that is much more reflective of the outside world, one in which the idealism of my youth has been tempered by life. And I am therefore much more concerned with how my tax dollars are spent.  For me, that's my hard-earned money that I am not eager to see misspent on some idealistic crusade.  

Which is why I favor moderate New Democrats like my congressman Don Beyer, or my senators Mark Warner and Tim Kaine over more leftist candidates.

Most here are high school or college students.  So I am not surprised they have such an overwhelming presence here.  They have time to spend here that I no longer have.

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 10:58:49 PM »

Because the patriotic Democrats became Republicans.

The Democrats on Atlas are a pretty good reflection of today's Democratic Party, sad to say.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2017, 08:33:55 AM »

You're ignoring Me, SouthernGothic, Smilo, Frodo, Nathan, dar (?), and Tony (?), most of whom are moderates/populists with social scores of under -3.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2017, 03:44:31 PM »

You're ignoring Me, SouthernGothic, Smilo, Frodo, Nathan, dar (?), and Tony (?), most of whom are moderates/populists with social scores of under -3.

I wouldn't call myself a "moderate" by any stretch (I don't object to "populist" per se, but only because it's a fundamentally meaningless term). In fact, I would argue that all my objections to the modern ALATT dogma (including on issues where I'm nominally "on the right", like drugs or prostitution) are from the left.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2017, 04:02:20 PM »

That contingent punches above its weight, but they're a pretty minority of Democrats here.

I wouldn't call myself a "moderate" by any stretch (I don't object to "populist" per se, but only because it's a fundamentally meaningless term). In fact, I would argue that all my objections to the modern ALATT dogma (including on issues where I'm nominally "on the right", like drugs or prostitution) are from the left.

It's a sad reflection on the state of forum left that Antonio V is confused for a centrist because he doesn't subscribe to one kind of social liberalism uber alles.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2017, 08:38:08 PM »

I wouldn't really call them "progressives". This is a forum full of mostly young, well-off, White latte-liberal men from the suburbs who supported Hillary Clinton in the primary and of course the general.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 05:48:34 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2017, 05:51:50 AM by Kingpoleon, Never The Best/Worst Poster »

Besides afleitch, Gustaf, True Federalist, Frodo, Torie, L. D. Smith, Beet, TDAS04, NeverAgain, Southern Gothic, Somenamelessfool, LLR, Crumpets, Maxwell, heatcharger, smilo, Boris, Wyman/Parrotguy, Intell, 1184AZ, Confused Democrat, and Jimmie, basically all major Democratic posters are staunch progressives.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 08:34:25 PM »

This forum is overwhelmingly younger, wealthier, whiter, and more male-dominated than the population as a whole.  It's pretty simple.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies