Northern Region - New Name Suggestions!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:35:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northern Region - New Name Suggestions!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Northern Region - New Name Suggestions!  (Read 3295 times)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2017, 02:46:27 PM »

Hello my fellow Northerners,

In accordance with the Regional Name Act, citizens of the North must begin suggestions for a new regional name. The thread will be closed when 10 names or 72 hours have passed. The assembly will then convene to select three names, and the voters will choose their favorite name next month during the February regional elections.

I'd like to begin with a suggestion of my own--the Atlantic Union Region.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 03:30:31 PM »

Here are the ones I introduced in the Regional Governments thread:

Lots of names I(RC) came up with, not all of them serious:

Minypa
Welland
The Eastern Seaboard
Atlantic
Metro
New York and Friends
Why Isn't Minnesota Here
New Canada
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 03:35:06 PM »

I'll repeat my suggestions of Lincoln and Mason.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 04:02:09 PM »

The bill says
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Is it to have another name with North still being a name associated with the region or to totally replace North.

The constitutional committee of the region settled on a name six months ago. I don't see the reason for changing it again especially if it is to choose a name that doesn't help to locate the region on a map.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »

The bill says

Is it to have another name with North still being a name associated with the region or to totally replace North.

The constitutional committee of the region settled on a name six months ago. I don't see the reason for changing it again especially if it is to choose a name that doesn't help to locate the region on a map.

It is to totally replace the name "North"

These concerns were raised during the debate in the assembly, and Fremont Governor Truman reminded us that names other than "North" were considered during the Constitutional committee's proceedings. Truman also reminded us that Fremont's name does not correspond to its place on a map, yet there is no trouble understanding its place in Atlasia.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 04:25:13 PM »

The bill says

These concerns were raised during the debate in the assembly, and Fremont Governor Truman reminded us that names other than "North" were considered during the Constitutional committee's proceedings. Truman also reminded us that Fremont's name does not correspond to its place on a map, yet there is no trouble understanding its place in Atlasia.

I'll also add that the South is considering changing their regional name to Jefferson. They're also considering changing their state borders, but I won't go that far.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 04:38:05 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2017, 04:47:49 PM by Governor Truman »

Quite so. I would remind everyone that exactly four of the real-life U.S. states are named based on their geographical position, yet nobody seems to have any trouble finding the other 46. I have enough faith in the intellectual capacity of future Atlasians to trust they will be able to look at a map and understand that the green states are in the north-eastern part of the country without our clubbing them over the head with the information.

Anyways, as a native son of the North and the former chairman of the Legislative Committee that wrote this region's Constitution, I encourage my neighbors in the East to take a risk and choose a name worth having. Of those that have been proposed, I'm particularly fond of "Franklin" (my original proposal), "Lincoln," and "the Atlantic Union." "Tecumseh" would be an interesting choice if y'all are looking for something less traditional.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 04:42:04 PM »

Quite so. I would remind everyone that exactly four of the real-life U.S. states are named based on their geographical position, yet nobody seems to have any trouble finding the other 46. I have enough faith in the intellectual capacity of future Atlasians to trust they will be able to look at a map and understand that the green states are in the north-eastern part of the country without our clubbing them over the head with the information.

I can think of at least five... Tongue
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »

I can think of at least five... Tongue
Ach, I forgot West Virginia. Still, that leaves 45 states (90%) that aren't named for their cardinal position.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 05:09:29 PM »

The bill says

Different names were considered by the constitutional committee and they have made a choice.

Maybe this is what people find fun, constantly keep rebooting Atlasia.

Maybe I am ignorant but I could not locate Fremont on a blank map. I have never heard of Fremont. I know it's the region out west by deduction from regions with descriptive name.
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: 0.43

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 05:53:40 PM »

Great Lakes

vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 06:05:13 PM »

Black Hawk or Blackhawk

Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 06:10:15 PM »

That's a good idea. I'd personally rather have us choose the name of one of the lakes. Perhaps the largest one - Superior.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 06:16:09 PM »

That's a good idea. I'd personally rather have us choose the name of one of the lakes. Perhaps the largest one - Superior.

I don't know how it would go over to have ourselves called the "Superior Region" Tongue
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 07:09:57 PM »

I don't know how it would go over to have ourselves called the "Superior Region" Tongue

It's okay to have regional pride Cheesy

How about "New England and Rust"
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 07:12:53 PM »

Huron would be a good name - history and geography combined in one!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 07:16:18 PM »

I was always against the rather bland 'North' and actually wanted to keep the short lived named we had- Franklin (after Benjamin Franklin/FDR) I'd lend my full support as an ex-president to bringing back the name of franklin
vote for pedro
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 07:19:54 PM »

I like Huron.

"Saint Lawrence" or "St. Lawrence" is another suggestion. 
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 07:42:17 PM »

I suggest The Northern Kingdom, Jefferson, and New America.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 07:51:09 PM »

Names proposed so far:

Atlantic
Atlantic Union
Black Hawk
Eastern Seaboard
Franklin
Great Lakes
Huron
Jefferson
Lincoln
Mason
Metro
Minypa
New America
New Canada
New England and Rust
New York and Friends*
Northern Kingdom
St. Lawrence
Superior
Tecumseh
Welland
Why Isn't Minnesota Here*

*Presumably jokes
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 08:30:50 PM »

Isn't the South about to start using that? I mean, I assume it's non-binding until the SCTF gets its work to the Governor, but still.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 08:37:22 PM »

I'm very in favor of Franklin, Huron, and Atlantic (Union)
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 08:43:10 PM »

Isn't the South about to start using that? I mean, I assume it's non-binding until the SCTF gets its work to the Governor, but still.

They are?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 08:47:09 PM »

They are?
Yep. Seeing as Jefferson was from Virginia, it seems to me they should have first dibs on that name.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 09:15:04 PM »

They are?
Yep. Seeing as Jefferson was from Virginia, it seems to me they should have first dibs on that name.

Huh? Alright, I withdraw Jefferson from consideration.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies