Prescription drug prices and generic drug law
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:19:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Prescription drug prices and generic drug law
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Prescription drug prices and generic drug law  (Read 240 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2017, 04:58:38 PM »

So today I was diagnosed with type 2 bipolar, and prescribed Abilify. Something interesting happened when I went to fill the prescription. Name-brand Abilify without insurance is $1,070 for a 30-day supply, versus $966 for generic. With my insurance, I could have paid $332 for the generic, or used the "Abilify savings card" to pay $5 a month for name-brand Abilify, versus around $580 a month with insurance.

I have a feeling this is a game they're playing to get around the generic drug laws enacted in the 1980s. They're billing your insurance for $490 for a medication that probably costs a few cents per pill to make, and with that markup, they can afford to take a bath on the rest by eating the rest, less the $5 you pay each month.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »

I like that Bernie is on this issue and he probably won't let go until the day he dies.

Go Bernie!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 06:00:15 PM »

So today I was diagnosed with type 2 bipolar, and prescribed Abilify. Something interesting happened when I went to fill the prescription. Name-brand Abilify without insurance is $1,070 for a 30-day supply, versus $966 for generic. With my insurance, I could have paid $332 for the generic, or used the "Abilify savings card" to pay $5 a month for name-brand Abilify, versus around $580 a month with insurance.

I have a feeling this is a game they're playing to get around the generic drug laws enacted in the 1980s. They're billing your insurance for $490 for a medication that probably costs a few cents per pill to make, and with that markup, they can afford to take a bath on the rest by eating the rest, less the $5 you pay each month.

That's really weird how the generic isn't any less expensive than that.   

But yes, if it were up to makers of brand name drugs, the insurance would cover everything and there'd be no copays. They're willing to give out cards and coupons a lot of the time to cover the copay, if it means people are taking the drug.

Also, your insurance only pays for half the cost of the medication?  Ugh.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 07:30:21 PM »

But yes, if it were up to makers of brand name drugs, the insurance would cover everything and there'd be no copays. They're willing to give out cards and coupons a lot of the time to cover the copay, if it means people are taking the drug.

Also, your insurance only pays for half the cost of the medication?  Ugh.

I've been on a medication merry-go-round the last month. When I took Wellbutrin, it was about $70 market price, and with insurance it was about $12. When I was on Brintellix, it was around $330 market price, down to $65 with insurance, and the coupon got it to $10.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 02:59:45 AM »

Not really.  Some drugs are going to be expensive to make, no matter who makes them, if the quality control is good.  I have a family member who is on several medicines, all generic, and the cost of them without insurance would range anywhere from $15 to $600.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 03:01:54 AM »

Not really.  Some drugs are going to be expensive to make, no matter who makes them, if the quality control is good.  I have a family member who is on several medicines, all generic, and the cost of them without insurance would range anywhere from $15 to $600.

The small difference between brand name and generic is what I meant. but I guess once the generic is available the brand name medicines tend to go down a lot in price.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies