Multiple Sources: IN Republicans Propose Bill Making It Legal for Police to Kill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:36:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Multiple Sources: IN Republicans Propose Bill Making It Legal for Police to Kill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Multiple Sources: IN Republicans Propose Bill Making It Legal for Police to Kill  (Read 1936 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 06:49:05 PM »

Both sides are. Peacefully protest, but once you block the roads where working people have to head home, don't expect not to be in grave danger. Simple. Blocking roads can only tick people off even more than they are already.
Is that the hardcore centrism you believe in?

F**k, you'd allow a genocide if it got rid of an inconvenience for you.

I am a hardcore centrist, but you don't make like miserable for people who have nothing to do with the protests. It's simple. Protest in the parks. People are in no mood for BS when coming home from work to be blocked for hours for a political protest.

1) You are no centrist
2) That discomfort is the point since it makes you temporarily feel the powerlessness the protesters feel perennially
1. How am I not a centrist? I call out both parties.
2. They can get a job, an education, quit moaning if they want to make their lives better.

Explain to me how "getting a job, an education," etc. helped MLK Jr., Rosa Parks, and others accomplish what they did? These are institutional problems they are protesting. The "get in line" approach is literally what they shouldn't be doing if they want change.

They are more opportunities now than they were in the 50s and 60s. Now, these protesters want to blame white people for every part of their miserable, gutless lives. Not every white person will take it lightly. They will only push people to the extreme limit. Both sides need to cool it, or else, it's Civil War II.

No, there aren't. Do you understand what a systematic institutional civil right issue is? It's because they have no other options that they have to resort to this.

As long as you keep perceiving it as nuisance because you're white, and not because you're NOT marginalized, you will continue to struggle to understand the problem.

They chose to drop out of high school. Don't tell me that there is no opportunities. BS. You have accomplished entertainers like LeBron James, Oprah, Jennifer Lopez. Don't give me this oppression BS, Arch. Look at the broader picture. People choose what type of life they want to have.

So you have to be at the level of millionaire celebrity to escape those issues or what? This has ZERO to do with high school or education for that matter. There are institutional problems in this country, ranging from the treatment of Blacks by police officers, to the treatment of rural dialect speakers by elitists in job opportunities, and more.

Don't stand there and tell me everything is fine and that "a little effort" will help you because it really doesn't.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »

Here's a more informative article
http://www.nuvo.net/indianapolis/why-was-there-a-protest-about-protests-at-the-indiana-statehouse/Content?oid=4522381

the current state of things:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 06:49:58 PM »

Anyways, lets get back on topic.

This proposed bill is immoral and just ain't normal. Why in the hell do some Republicans think this is okay then use the bible to explain such atrocity?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 06:50:41 PM »

Both sides are. Peacefully protest, but once you block the roads where working people have to head home, don't expect not to be in grave danger. Simple. Blocking roads can only tick people off even more than they are already.

I am a hardcore centrist, but you don't make like miserable for people who have nothing to do with the protests. It's simple. Protest in the parks. People are in no mood for BS when coming home from work to be blocked for hours for a political protest.

1) You are no centrist
2) That discomfort is the point since it makes you temporarily feel the powerlessness the protesters feel perennially
2. They can get a job, an education, quit moaning if they want to make their lives better.

Explain to me how "getting a job, an education," etc. helped MLK Jr., Rosa Parks, and others accomplish what they did? These are institutional problems they are protesting. The "get in line" approach is literally what they shouldn't be doing if they want change.

They are more opportunities now than they were in the 50s and 60s. Now, these protesters want to blame white people for every part of their miserable, gutless lives. Not every white person will take it lightly. They will only push people to the extreme limit. Both sides need to cool it, or else, it's Civil War II.

No, there aren't. Do you understand what a systematic institutional civil right issue is? It's because they have no other options that they have to resort to this.

As long as you keep perceiving it as nuisance because you're white, and not because you're NOT marginalized, you will continue to struggle to understand the problem.

They chose to drop out of high school. Don't tell me that there is no opportunities. BS. You have accomplished entertainers like LeBron James, Oprah, Jennifer Lopez. Don't give me this oppression BS, Arch. Look at the broader picture. People choose what type of life they want to have.

So you have to be at the level of millionaire celebrity to escape those issues or what? This has ZERO to do with high school or education for that matter. There are institutional problems in this country, ranging from the treatment of Blacks by police officers, to the treatment of rural dialect speakers by elitists in job opportunities, and more.

Don't stand there and tell me everything is fine and that "a little effort" will help you because it really doesn't.

What is your solution, Arch?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2017, 06:53:13 PM »

1) You are no centrist

I understand the pain of real, legitimate protests. Not anarchy.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 06:56:25 PM »

1) You are no centrist

The first and foremost solution is to stop viewing this as solely a race issue (even though race fundamentally underlies some of these), and finding ways to communicating to everyone that this is about treating each other more humanly for a better society.

White vs Everything else has to stop.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 06:57:33 PM »

Disturbing stuff, but I'm not sure that the person who drafted the bill exactly did so with "letting the police gun people down in cold blood" in mind. Do not attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity.
DK_Mo82
Rookie
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 07:08:12 PM »

Disturbing stuff, but I'm not sure that the person who drafted the bill exactly did so with "letting the police gun people down in cold blood" in mind. Do not attribute to malice what can be attributed to stupidity.

This is copycat of North Dakota Bill written in response to #DAPL.  Like 5 state GOPs have propsed it.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 07:19:06 PM »

1) You are no centrist

The first and foremost solution is to stop viewing this as solely a race issue (even though race fundamentally underlies some of these), and finding ways to communicating to everyone that this is about treating each other more humanly for a better society.

White vs Everything else has to stop.

Everyone will have to give and take, lest we want Das Capital to play out over the course of the rest of our lives.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 07:27:08 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2017, 07:29:20 PM by Jacobin American »

"According to The Guardian, Tomes has a history of introducing draconian right-wing legislation, including bills that call for incarcerating transgender people for up to a year not using the bathroom associated with the gender on their birth certificate. Sue Ellen Braunlin, who is the co-president of the Indiana Religious Coalition for Reproductive Justice, called Tomes’ bill the “Block Traffic and You Die bill.”"

This guy is undoubtedly a fanatic and quite unhinged to suggest that any road obstruction composed of 10 or more people should be cleared "by any means necessary." However, as noted in the bold, he has quite a history of introducing right-wing legislation. Unfortunately for him, his track record of having his legislation pass isn't very good. I'd suggest that, unless this passes the Indiana State Senate without being amended, nobody read too much into the actions of one lone state senator.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 07:29:43 PM »

But guyz we need to give this New World Order a chance, and have an opun mind and not judge too soonz. Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 07:30:03 PM »

This is copycat of North Dakota Bill written in response to #DAPL.  Like 5 state GOPs have propsed it.

I would have guessed it had more to do with anti-Trump protests. Regardless, groupthink of that sort is an excellent means to spread nonsense. Everything sounds better when proposed by someone else on your side.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 07:43:47 PM »

The people who need to get an education are those Trump supporters who sit around waiting to get paid $50 an hour to glue parts to something and blame minorities for those jobs going away. Let's be real about who is sitting around blaming other people for their own failings.

fyck off.

Stop.

No wonder, the democrats lost, with elitists like yourselves.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 07:49:26 PM »

The people who need to get an education are those Trump supporters who sit around waiting to get paid $50 an hour to glue parts to something and blame minorities for those jobs going away. Let's be real about who is sitting around blaming other people for their own failings.

From one Democratic elite to another: f[inks]k you.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 07:58:38 PM »

fyck off.

Stop.

No wonder, the democrats lost, with elitists like yourselves.

It always makes me laugh when the 'elitists' are so far from elite.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 08:01:47 PM »

"According to The Guardian, Tomes has a history of introducing draconian right-wing legislation, including bills that call for incarcerating transgender people for up to a year not using the bathroom associated with the gender on their birth certificate. Sue Ellen Braunlin, who is the co-president of the Indiana Religious Coalition for Reproductive Justice, called Tomes’ bill the “Block Traffic and You Die bill.”"

This guy is undoubtedly a fanatic and quite unhinged to suggest that any road obstruction composed of 10 or more people should be cleared "by any means necessary." However, as noted in the bold, he has quite a history of introducing right-wing legislation. Unfortunately for him, his track record of having his legislation pass isn't very good. I'd suggest that, unless this passes the Indiana State Senate without being amended, nobody read too much into the actions of one lone state senator.

Thank you! My thoughts exactly.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 08:07:03 PM »

bronz A+, sometimes I feel like you are the only one who gets me. The northern strategy is working. 100% behind this.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2017, 03:18:32 AM »

Deadly force is not a solution for blocked roads. If you want to murder someone for blocking the road, then you are a scary individual.

Where in this bill is there any authorization to use deadly force?  If anything, having dead bodies in the roadway is going to increase the blockage, not decrease it.  You'd have to be an idiot to think "by any means necessary" means "Break out the machine gun, boys. It's protestor season and there's no bag limit."  Granted, the bill could be better written to assuage panicky people.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2017, 03:37:34 AM »

Deadly force is not a solution for blocked roads. If you want to murder someone for blocking the road, then you are a scary individual.

Where in this bill is there any authorization to use deadly force?  If anything, having dead bodies in the roadway is going to increase the blockage, not decrease it.  You'd have to be an idiot to think "by any means necessary" means "Break out the machine gun, boys. It's protestor season and there's no bag limit."  Granted, the bill could be better written to assuage panicky people.

At best, this doesn't mean anything at all as written.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2017, 06:09:00 AM »

The Trump presidency is going to be the ultimate test for american institutions. If they fail, western democracy fails and we're all screwed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies