The Trumps and Camelot
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:18:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Trumps and Camelot
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Trumps and Camelot  (Read 745 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2017, 05:11:46 PM »

Is the arrival of the Trumps in DC, attractive, wealthy, intelligent, accomplished, the dawning of the new age of Camelot in America?

Please discuss.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 05:13:19 PM »

Lol
Fusionmunster

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 05:13:30 PM »

The Trump family would actually have to be popular, which they're not.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 05:15:42 PM »

Camelot is dead and it won't be coming back.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 05:20:20 PM »

Is the arrival of the Trumps in DC, attractive, wealthy, intelligent, accomplished, the dawning of the new age of Camelot in America?

Please discuss.

Please don't conveniently forget what a piggish personality D Trump has. Please don't forget all the awful things he said during the campaign, the way he belittles people, the way he gets his fragile ego hurt so easily, the frauds, the cons, the stiffing of workers....

Camelot did not contain a "King" who displayed such ignorance and stupidity and moronic behavior.

I'll give him that he has an attractive family.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 05:33:52 PM »

Please, don't ever compare Trump to any good story.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 05:39:11 PM »

Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 05:49:37 PM »

Pussygrabber... I knew Jack Kennedy, Jack Kennedy was a good friend of mine...pussygrabber...your no John Kennedy

you're*
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 05:56:38 PM »

Please discuss.
LOL! Don't ever stop being you.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 06:13:42 PM »

I have no doubt that some effort will be made--whether by the media, the White House itself, etc.--to portray this imitation of detached aristocracy as some sort of national symbol. If I had to guess, however, I'd say that such efforts will only appear grimly ironic in the years to come.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 07:45:52 PM »

Please discuss.

possibly.

There was a previous thread asking whether Trump would be our first dictator.  Clearly he will not be.  There were many others before him, depending upon your definition of that word.  

But Camelot implies a dictatorial phenomenon more dramatic.  It refers to the castle and court from the legend of Arthur, king of either the saxons, or some very early norman peoples, or even a pre-saxon roman or celtic or brit king, depending upon whose history you prefer.  

Unlike the Chinese, the Mexicans, the Germans, the French, etc., the USA never had a king.  (Any king that was the king of Cleveland was the King of France; any king that was the King of Boston was the King of England; any king that was the king of Texas was the King of Spain.  The USA, which didn't exist until 1787 when the constitution was ratified, never had a king, although George Washington was pressured to take that title but refused.)  That we never had a king means that we never had princes, princesses, royalty, castles, and the like, so our vision of such things is a bit warped, in some sense (although not in the greater sense, since the Rest Of The World, namely all those other places, most of which did have kings at least at some point, has started to watch too many Disney movies and other imports of Americana and now the idea of a Princess as Disney version has displaced what had existed originally.)  

Camelot, to us, in our shallow, fast-food, internet way, implies a court of really, really rich and fashionable people.  (Jack and Jackie had a "court" known as Camelot in the early 1960s, and the University of Kentucky basketball team was known as Camelot.  These are very US-centric uses of the word Camelot, but I think that's the usage you're asking about.)  It is possible that the Trumps, being incredibly rich--at least on paper--and genuinely unorthodox--meaning potentially fashionable, both morally and physically--will create a fantasy, Disney version of reality to which many Americans will aspire, and many will swoon and sigh in the presence of the Trumps.  Most of all, Trump emphasizes winning.  ("you'll get tired of winning..."  Very Camelot, in the American sense.)  Winning is what Arthur is all about, and it is one of the central tenets on which the legend of Camelot is built.

Also, it's worth noting that Arthurian Camelot and its castle high above a river and bordering a dense forest was the gaudy face of brutality.  The castle and its gardens amounted to a pseudo-religious center filled with men who consumed a great amount of red meat with their fingers, didn't bother to wipe the blood from their clothes, and never apologized for anything, probably because they felt that they never did anything wrong.  It was a place of romance in the classical sense:  no man's wife was off limits, as long as she was beautiful, and gold was the ultimate aphrodisiac.  It was a place where might makes right, and where weak men are never mentioned in the histories, presumably because they were killed off very young and never really got in the way of the exploits of machismo and brutishness.  In that sense, Trump's white house, and Trump's America, might very well mimic Camelot in more than just a few superficial aspects.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 07:53:42 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2017, 09:47:45 AM by Torie »

I'd describe the Obamas as attractive, intelligent,  and accomplished. [second sentence censored by Torie as a personal attack]
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 09:43:48 PM »

Interesting theory, but I have a different one. I think Trump's arrival is a little more like the Great Mighty Poo's entrance in Conker's Bad Fur Day. I think there's a pretty strong physical resemblance, at least.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 09:50:18 AM »

Cut out the personal attacks please. I was constrained to become a weapon of mass destruction on this thread. Thank you.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2017, 01:45:35 PM by publicunofficial »

Cut out the personal attacks please. I was constrained to become a weapon of mass destruction on this thread. Thank you.

Lol

Edit this: Eat s**t, Torie
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 04:03:51 PM »

Lol

Edit this: Eat s**t, Torie

LOL. I'm not into that actually. Even I have limits.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 07:05:02 PM »

For those people who enjoy vomit for lunch, who think that the uglier and more used a prostitute is - the prettier, whose idea of romance is rape, whose idear of intelligence is being able to read at second-grade level by the age of 55, who admire thieves and murderers: yes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies