Will Arnold Schwatzenegger get re-elected?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:15:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Arnold Schwatzenegger get re-elected?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Will Arnold Schwatzenegger get re-elected?  (Read 38596 times)
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2004, 06:57:28 PM »

Today Schwarzenegger won another big victory.  The state assembly just approved his plan to reform the worker's comp system.  Add that to his bond and spending cap victories and his triumph in the illegal alien drivers license issue and the Govenator has established quite an amazing record.

If he keeps it up he should coast to reelection.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2004, 05:58:03 AM »

Arnold is a god.  I am so proud to have voted for him.  He has been a wonderful governor.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2004, 11:51:46 AM »

Hear hear!
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2004, 10:27:53 PM »

We agree!

I think Schwarzenegger has put to rest any doubts that anybody had about his capability to lead.  He's single handedly revived the republican party, demolished the dems, and prevented California from falling into fiscal disaster.  Kudos to the govenator!
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2004, 10:28:33 PM »

Arnold is a god.  I am so proud to have voted for him.  He has been a wonderful governor.

I only wish I could've had the opportunity to vote for Schwarzenegger.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2004, 07:04:27 AM »

Without being too cynical... I think that Davis would have done the same as Swazchanazi Swastiengger Shchwartysnegger Schwartzengerr Arnie is doing... but with less style... so he'd still be hated.
Style is all...
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2004, 01:14:45 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2004, 01:15:17 PM by htmldon »

Davis would have just gone along with what the corrupt Dems in Sacremento wanted to do.  The situation would have just gotten worse and worse... now its starting to look up for California.

StevenNick - You like Arnold??  I thought all us moderates were dying out?  Didn't that "base" that you guys keep talking about support McClintock? Smiley  

California is so fortunate to have been given a second chance after the disasterous choice of Bill Simon over Dick Riordan.  Kansas and Oregon got no such second chance.  If Pennsylvania makes the same mistake and supports Toomey, it will not get a second chance either after Hoffel is elected.

I'm glad you are fond of Arnold. him and hope that you will vote for him if he runs for re-election... not just in the general, but in the Primary as well.  Certainly some loose cannon "conservative" will come out of the woodwork and say that we need to "get this pro-gay RINO out of office" and some Simon/McClintockites will go along with it.

The #1 way to keep a Republican from getting elected in California is to have a Republican Primary.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2004, 02:53:30 PM »

Davis would have just gone along with what the corrupt Dems in Sacremento wanted to do.  The situation would have just gotten worse and worse... now its starting to look up for California.

StevenNick - You like Arnold??  I thought all us moderates were dying out?  Didn't that "base" that you guys keep talking about support McClintock? Smiley  

California is so fortunate to have been given a second chance after the disasterous choice of Bill Simon over Dick Riordan.  Kansas and Oregon got no such second chance.  If Pennsylvania makes the same mistake and supports Toomey, it will not get a second chance either after Hoffel is elected.

I'm glad you are fond of Arnold. him and hope that you will vote for him if he runs for re-election... not just in the general, but in the Primary as well.  Certainly some loose cannon "conservative" will come out of the woodwork and say that we need to "get this pro-gay RINO out of office" and some Simon/McClintockites will go along with it.

The #1 way to keep a Republican from getting elected in California is to have a Republican Primary.

I don't dislike moderates!  I never said I disliked moderates.  I just think that the republican party as a whole is moving to the right (the dems are moving to the left, too).  Arnold will help move California to the right so that maybe in a decade or so, people like McClintock can get elected statewide.

I don't think the comparison between Toomey/Specter and Simon/Riordan is valid, though.  For one thing, Pennsylvania and California are completely different states.  California just doesn't elect hard-core conservatives.  Pennsylvania is considerably more open to conservatives.  Plus, there's a difference between a candidate for governor and one for senate.  Social issues don't play as much of a role in a gubernatorial election as they do in a senate election.  I disagree with Arnold on abortion, for example, but there's not a whole lot he's going to be able to do about abortion as a governor anyway.  I wouldn't have any problem supporting a "moderate" for governor.  With a senate seat, I'm more likely to support someone like Toomey, who agrees me on a wider range of issues, because those issues are more likely to be adressed at the national level than at the state level.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense to you, but it seems sensible in my head.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2004, 04:57:49 PM »

It does make sense, at least from your ideological perspective.   Some of us are working to make the country more center-right than right so I guess I wouldn't personally understand where you are coming from.  Personally I want to just nudge Cali a little the right so that moderate Republicans can take over the state legislature and the state will elect more people like Arnold - and never have to dabble around with the Tom McClintocks, Gray Davises, and Cruz Bustamentes ever again.  That having been said, due to my partisan persuasions, I think electing a Republican is more important than anything else so whatever happens that helps elect Republicans is fine with me.  My personal preference is just more centrist than yours.

I applaud you for thinking strategically though and actually being more concerned with getting people of like mind elected rather than the emotional nonsense that so many on the right use to guide them in elections.

I suspect that in Indiana you would join me in support of Mitch Daniels for Governor over Eric Miller.  Daniels is very much a conservative... but of course, you can never be conservative enough for the religious right.  So they've put up Miller to challenge Daniels but I don't think its going anywhere.. at least I hope not.  But of course you have the Millerites running around saying that Daniels is "too moderate" and that "the base" will stay home if he is nominated, blah blah blah.  (Keeping in mind that Daniels is probably more conservative than McClintock and Toomey combined)

The far right will never be satisfied and this is why I caution my friends here who are moderate-conservatives not to give in on the issue of Specter.  Sure all of us agree that Specter is not perfect.  We would all like him to be more conservative on things.  But he is a symbol of the ideological diversity that we need to have in our Party.  If we let him get trampled on - don't surprised if you or someone you support is next on the hit list.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2004, 05:07:47 PM »

It does make sense, at least from your ideological perspective.   Some of us are working to make the country more center-right than right so I guess I wouldn't personally understand where you are coming from.  Personally I want to just nudge Cali a little the right so that moderate Republicans can take over the state legislature and the state will elect more people like Arnold - and never have to dabble around with the Tom McClintocks, Gray Davises, and Cruz Bustamentes ever again.  That having been said, due to my partisan persuasions, I think electing a Republican is more important than anything else so whatever happens that helps elect Republicans is fine with me.  My personal preference is just more centrist than yours.

I applaud you for thinking strategically though and actually being more concerned with getting people of like mind elected rather than the emotional nonsense that so many on the right use to guide them in elections.

I suspect that in Indiana you would join me in support of Mitch Daniels for Governor over Eric Miller.  Daniels is very much a conservative... but of course, you can never be conservative enough for the religious right.  So they've put up Miller to challenge Daniels but I don't think its going anywhere.. at least I hope not.  But of course you have the Millerites running around saying that Daniels is "too moderate" and that "the base" will stay home if he is nominated, blah blah blah.  (Keeping in mind that Daniels is probably more conservative than McClintock and Toomey combined)

The far right will never be satisfied and this is why I caution my friends here who are moderate-conservatives not to give in on the issue of Specter.  Sure all of us agree that Specter is not perfect.  We would all like him to be more conservative on things.  But he is a symbol of the ideological diversity that we need to have in our Party.  If we let him get trampled on - don't surprised if you or someone you support is next on the hit list.

I think in primary elections, there's nothing wrong with voting for the candidate that best suits one's ideology.  However, in a state like California that is so completely dominated by democrats (and liberal one's at that) it's important to think strategically and vote for someone who can successful nudge the state at least a little further to the right.

The difference between Schwarzenegger and Specter is that Schwarzenegger, although liberal on some social issues, is true-blue when it comes to economic issues whereas Specter doesn't really deliver on any front.  Being against tax cuts is acceptable if you favor balanced budgets.  But Specter votes against tax cuts and the balanced budget amendment and for spending increases and pork.  

Voinovich is an example of someone who was wary of tax cuts, but only because he favors balanced budgets.  That's an understandable, reasonable position (and a fairly conservative one).

I don't know if that helps to clarify my position any.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2004, 05:54:18 AM »

Schwarzenegger is presently on course for a solid re-election, if things continue to go this well it could be a landslide… unless Feinstein runs the Democrats really don’t have a viable candidate who can win… Cruz Bustmante would probably be the likeliest choice of the prominent democrats in the state at the moment; I doubt there would be many prominent democrats from the state house of senate who would run against Arnie as they have benefited so much from working with him and have made some very public by partisan efforts though… Arnie’s biggest problem as far as re-election is concerned is a conservative primary challenger (and there will almost certainly be one), would the primary be open or closed?, however Arnie should weather that fairly easily I mean he has given the GOP in CA power and that should win him sufficient conservative supporters…      
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2004, 10:34:05 AM »

I'm assuming that a scandel will sink him sooner or later...
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2004, 09:01:53 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2004, 07:17:04 AM by Ben »

I'm assuming that a scandel will sink him sooner or later...

I think the guy's teflon... didnt hurt him in the recall, hell it didnt hurt Clinton that much in 1992 or the late 90's in the end...had he run in 2000 Clinton would have won solidly...

But I'm pretty sure that Arnie will win again, moderate republicans need him to stay around... I have a feeling that what ever happens in November 2004 is going to be one hell of a primary battle for the republicans....      
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2004, 09:07:08 AM »

We desperately need him around.

We will walk to California if we have to, from every state in the union, to help his cause.  We will crawl across shards of broken glass or jump through rings of hot scalding fire to defend him from the extremes.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2004, 07:21:08 AM »

We desperately need him around.

We will walk to California if we have to, from every state in the union, to help his cause.  We will crawl across shards of broken glass or jump through rings of hot scalding fire to defend him from the extremes.

Same attitude I have toward moderate democrats... good to see the moderate wing of the GOP is gearing up to take on the extremist... I really think that a battle is brewing for the 2008 nomination, someone on the board said (who?) that the Santorum wing of the party will take on the Owens/spectre wing of the party for the nomination in 2008... just hope we can settle on a candidate quickly so that a bloody republican fight gets the media attention Cheesy … but good luck man, same battle keeps getting fought in both party’s and probably will be for some time…      
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies