Russia set to decriminalize domestic violence
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:13:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia set to decriminalize domestic violence
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Russia set to decriminalize domestic violence  (Read 2885 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 04:45:49 PM »

Tell me again how this isn't a terrible country.

Russia is a great country and a great people but with a terrible political tradition and history that has left it at the mercy of nutcases.

+100. I say that as Russian by origin and presently living in Russia (Moscow)

When your country has been ruled by varying degrees of strongmen since time immemorial, it's a tough mold to break out of. I like quite a bit about Russia, but its political paradigm strikes me as quite corrupt and authoritarian.

There is an old Russian saying: "do not bet against prison or begging". Alas, these days it is something Americans may have to learn as well.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 12:17:50 AM »

Tell me again how this isn't a terrible country.

Russia is a great country and a great people but with a terrible political tradition and history that has left it at the mercy of nutcases.

+100. I say that as Russian by origin and presently living in Russia (Moscow)

When your country has been ruled by varying degrees of strongmen since time immemorial, it's a tough mold to break out of. I like quite a bit about Russia, but its political paradigm strikes me as quite corrupt and authoritarian.

It is. And was for centuries. With, essentially, no exceptions. That's why it's naive to expect a "developed Democracy" in Russia in the near future - it will take considerable time to change a mentality not only of "ruling class", but general people as well. It took centuries in England , France and US, so it will take a comparable time in Russia....
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 01:15:49 AM »

Introduced by a member of the "Social Democratic" opposition.

Yeah, I saw that before.  Controlled opposition, much?  Is the "left wing" in Russia all like that?

Most of Russia's "left wing" is pretty brown-shirted. Basically, to be a Communist in Russia these days means to be a rabid nationalist, anti-semite, and in cahoots with the Church (then, again, the Patriarch is planning a special liturgy to commemorate the glorious October Revolution - it goes both ways).

But, then, Mme Mizulina is not, even a "leftist" in that sense. She was a Communist party member only until the end of the old regime, at which point she joined the left-of-center liberal Yabloko, from which she jumped to the righ-liberal Union of the Rightist Forces from which she moved on to the servile pseudo-vaguely-leftish Just Russia (the main point of the party program being that it is more pro-Putin than the governing United Russia).  Now, it seems, she is leaving the JR - likely to move to the UR. There is a name for people like that, but I might be accused of misoginy here if I use it (though I would not hesitate to apply the same word to a man).

Thanks for the info.  I read a little bit about the Russian Communist Party a few days ago and what I got out of it was that its leaders (or one of its former leaders) are pretty generally anti-West and wanted to revive the USSR.  I didn't know that the rest of the left basically acted as a fodder for what is essentially a one-party (one-dictator?) state.

Now you probably understand why most of us (Russians by origin, writing here) are almost rabidly anti-left)))))

To me, it's difficult to understand Russian politics from a binary left-right perspective.  I don't view Putin as an ideologue much as someone who simply loves being in power and building his empire, and the only way he can maintain his popular support is by pandering to people and places of high influence, like the Russian Orthodox Church, by embracing socially conservative and reactionary initiatives.  Any "opposition" to Putin within the country is effectively neutered.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 04:26:28 AM »

Yeah, I saw that before.  Controlled opposition, much?  Is the "left wing" in Russia all like that?

Most of Russia's "left wing" is pretty brown-shirted. Basically, to be a Communist in Russia these days means to be a rabid nationalist, anti-semite, and in cahoots with the Church (then, again, the Patriarch is planning a special liturgy to commemorate the glorious October Revolution - it goes both ways).

But, then, Mme Mizulina is not, even a "leftist" in that sense. She was a Communist party member only until the end of the old regime, at which point she joined the left-of-center liberal Yabloko, from which she jumped to the righ-liberal Union of the Rightist Forces from which she moved on to the servile pseudo-vaguely-leftish Just Russia (the main point of the party program being that it is more pro-Putin than the governing United Russia).  Now, it seems, she is leaving the JR - likely to move to the UR. There is a name for people like that, but I might be accused of misoginy here if I use it (though I would not hesitate to apply the same word to a man).

Thanks for the info.  I read a little bit about the Russian Communist Party a few days ago and what I got out of it was that its leaders (or one of its former leaders) are pretty generally anti-West and wanted to revive the USSR.  I didn't know that the rest of the left basically acted as a fodder for what is essentially a one-party (one-dictator?) state.

Now you probably understand why most of us (Russians by origin, writing here) are almost rabidly anti-left)))))

To me, it's difficult to understand Russian politics from a binary left-right perspective.  I don't view Putin as an ideologue much as someone who simply loves being in power and building his empire, and the only way he can maintain his popular support is by pandering to people and places of high influence, like the Russian Orthodox Church, by embracing socially conservative and reactionary initiatives.  Any "opposition" to Putin within the country is effectively neutered.

You are basically (IMHO, of course, as usual) correct. But i meant Russia-born people, who spent at least part of their life inthe West, and can compare first hand.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »

Yeah, I saw that before.  Controlled opposition, much?  Is the "left wing" in Russia all like that?

But, then, Mme Mizulina is not, even a "leftist" in that sense. She was a Communist party member only until the end of the old regime, at which point she joined the left-of-center liberal Yabloko, from which she jumped to the righ-liberal Union of the Rightist Forces from which she moved on to the servile pseudo-vaguely-leftish Just Russia (the main point of the party program being that it is more pro-Putin than the governing United Russia).  Now, it seems, she is leaving the JR - likely to move to the UR. There is a name for people like that, but I might be accused of misoginy here if I use it (though I would not hesitate to apply the same word to a man).

Thanks for the info.  I read a little bit about the Russian Communist Party a few days ago and what I got out of it was that its leaders (or one of its former leaders) are pretty generally anti-West and wanted to revive the USSR.  I didn't know that the rest of the left basically acted as a fodder for what is essentially a one-party (one-dictator?) state.

To me, it's difficult to understand Russian politics from a binary left-right perspective.  

You should never try to understand things in this when talking about the politics in a country and age you do not know very well. Even if you do, you should always keep in mind that left and right mean different things at different times and places. Russians make the same mistake.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 02:01:00 AM »

^ Russian political landscape is a good example. Communist party leaders reconciled himself with notion of private property only in 1990s...... So, they are "far left"? Not so quick, on almost all social issues they are to the right of Santorum and Huckaby. And Russian "Liberal Democratic party", as everyone knows, is neither liberal, nor democratic (on the contrary - there are, probably, no more authoritarian party in Russia). Politics of other states may be fundamentally different from European-American "norm", and vice versa...
Firestorm
Rookie

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 07:17:34 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2017, 09:01:26 AM by Firestorm »

But Atlas told me A Just Russia were FFs!
Why can't Westerners realize that at least half of the Russians who don't like Putin are the kind of people who think he doesn't take patriarchal conservatism far enough?

Anyway, another poster was right about it being part a broad move towards lighter sentences for what we Americans would call misdemeanor battery. If you only do 15 days in jail for slapping someone on a subway, you probably shouldn't spend 2 years in prison (Russian prison, no less) for going home and giving your kid a spanking (seems like that was the main concern of the bill's sponsor; not wife-beating).

I trolled a couple of doofuses on facebook yesterday who literally thought that any legislative body in the world would vote 380-3 to let men beat their wives. Just how evil are we supposed to think the Russians really are?
Firestorm
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 07:23:13 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2017, 07:49:48 AM by Firestorm »

Saudi Arabia might come close to being that unanimous. Iran? Not a chance.

http://www.womeninparliaments.org/parliament/russian-federation-state-duma/

There are currently 61 women on the Russian State Duma. Assuming all the opposition voters were women, that means that 95% of Russian female deputies of the State Duma actively support misogyny.

AND NO ONE THOUGHT THAT MIGHT BE JUST A LITTLE BIT UNLIKELY!?
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2017, 07:57:26 AM »

There are currently 61 women on the Russian State Duma. Assuming all the opposition voters were women, that means that 95% of Russian female deputies of the State Duma actively support misogyny.

No, this is a mysognist bill, and the victims of this bill won't be the women who support such a bill.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »
« Edited: January 29, 2017, 12:53:13 AM by smoltchanov »

No, this is a mysognist bill, and the victims of this bill won't be the women who support such a bill.

PROVE it. So far i hear an empty statements from "bona-fide progressives"....

BTW, you will not believe, but old russian saying says "If he (man, who heads a family) doesn't beat - he doesn't loves..."
Firestorm
Rookie

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »

Oh really?

(Assuming here that Senator Schaefer was indeed killed by her husband and not by Georgia Defax. My mom still thinks they did it, and she used to work for them.)
Firestorm
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2017, 10:56:59 AM »

PROVE it. So far i hear an empty statements from "bona-fide progressives"....

BTW, you will not believe, but old russian saying says "If he (man, who heads a family) deosn't beat - he doesn't loves..."
"Spare the rod, spoil the child."

Considering Proverbs 13:24, I'd say that most Christian cultures have sayings to that affect.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2017, 12:50:15 PM »

As you can see, he is full of charisma. Actually, his complete lack of appeal is why the government does everything it can to prevent any challenge to him from inside the party.

That man would not look out of place in a Red Square review stand.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2017, 02:03:55 PM »

As you can see, he is full of charisma. Actually, his complete lack of appeal is why the government does everything it can to prevent any challenge to him from inside the party.

That man would not look out of place in a Red Square review stand.

Actually, even by the standards of that crowd he was too stupid to make it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2017, 08:58:43 PM »

But Atlas told me A Just Russia were FFs!
Why can't Westerners realize that at least half of the Russians who don't like Putin are the kind of people who think he doesn't take patriarchal conservatism far enough?

Anyway, another poster was right about it being part a broad move towards lighter sentences for what we Americans would call misdemeanor battery. If you only do 15 days in jail for slapping someone on a subway, you probably shouldn't spend 2 years in prison (Russian prison, no less) for going home and giving your kid a spanking (seems like that was the main concern of the bill's sponsor; not wife-beating).

I trolled a couple of doofuses on facebook yesterday who literally thought that any legislative body in the world would vote 380-3 to let men beat their wives. Just how evil are we supposed to think the Russians really are?

People are ridiculously gullible when it comes to claims about the political positions of an Other. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies