Collection of Interesting Historical Opinion Polling
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:46:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Collection of Interesting Historical Opinion Polling
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Collection of Interesting Historical Opinion Polling  (Read 1802 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2017, 10:22:46 PM »

Hopefully this leads to a lot of cool posts!  I was reading a very, very good book (one of my favorites) called Republicans and Race: The GOP's Frayed Relationship With African Americans, 1945-1974, and I found this passage super interesting, and possibly enlightening to many.  It is speaking of an opinion poll released before the 1956 elections ... keep in mind, Eisenhower had compiled a pretty impressive (on paper) civil rights record by this point, and even Truman's crowning civil rights achievement (desegregating the military) was really effectively implemented by the Eisenhower Administration.  Anyway:

"Asked which party had done the most for blacks over the previous decade, 67 percent of African Americans identified the Democrats, and just 16 percent chose the Republicans" (pg. 73).

This is right after Brown v. Board, Ike's executive order 10590 and after Democrats picked an open segregationist as VP on their ticket to aggressively keep Southern support.  I think it really shows how much of "civil rights" was actually viewed - at least by the Black community - as aggressive economic initiatives that would result in Blacks holding a more equal financial standing in society.  This, IMO, explains why the GOP "gave up" on civil rights (to the extent that they did) ... they'd support the obvious measures like the CRA and VRA no problem, but they simply weren't willing to go against what their OWN constituents wanted, and that wasn't economic progressivism.

What interesting opinion polls have you come across that people might not have seen before?? Smiley
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 12:27:09 AM »

Economic Progressivism, helped black people so they voted for the democrats. More than the half-teppid+1 support for civil rights by the republicans, and the half-teppid civil rights support for the democrats. When the democrats became actual strong supporters of civil rights, blacks had no reason to be republicans, and shifted to 90+% republicans.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 04:48:49 PM »

Most blacks were effectively prevented from voting before the 1960s.

I do wonder what would have happened if a Dixiecrat had won the Democratic nomination in the '50s or '60s.  Would black voting patterns have returned to pre-Depression levels?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies