AZ-Global Strategy Group (D): Flake +3 over Generic Democrat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:39:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AZ-Global Strategy Group (D): Flake +3 over Generic Democrat
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AZ-Global Strategy Group (D): Flake +3 over Generic Democrat  (Read 3156 times)
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2017, 08:00:34 PM »

Link.

Didn't see this posted yet. This poll appears to be conducted on behalf of Planned Parenthood, so yeah. Also it was conducted back in December, so take it with an even finer grain of salt.

Flake - 36%
Generic D - 33%

Personally I think it's highly unlikely that Flake loses if he gets to the general, but that last part is a big question mark for now.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 08:41:06 PM »

Honestly, I think Flake is a terrible Senator and I hope he loses the primary, but I think the GOP will hold the seat in the end (probably not by much, though).

We need as many Mormons in government as possible. And I see nothing wrong with being slightly moderate. It is just an atlas fantasy that all senators of the same party will agree on every single issue.

What makes Flake so terrible?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 08:53:23 PM »

From the standpoint of the other poster here? That he has morals, of course.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 09:10:36 PM »

Flake is a terrible fit for his state and way too liberal for my taste. But whatever.

Yep, he is liberal, though not in the usual US sense of the word. And you are illiberal. That is, exactly, what I said before.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 09:13:33 PM »

Yep, he is liberal, though not in the usual US sense of the word. And you are illiberal. That is, exactly, what I said before.

I don't care that he refused to support Trump, he's just terrible in general.

Lmao

Flake is a member of the LDS Church. He is an excellent public servant and has good moral values.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 09:21:21 PM »

I don't think Flake is that vulnerable unless Trump is historically unpopular.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 09:49:34 PM »

Where did I use the word "Trump"?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 10:31:28 PM »

Jeff Flake is one of the Senate's staunchest fiscal conservatives. He's not a moderate
R/H
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 10:57:39 PM »

If Republicans are narrowly leading in the 2018 Arizona Senate race, then I think Democrats should target Arizona in 2018 in addition of at least Nevada.

If Democrats are able to keep all their battleground seats (MT, ND, WI, MO, OH, etc.) and to get AZ and NV, then they would get at least 50 seats, which would be a blow for Donald Trump.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 11:09:51 PM »

I don't think Flake is that vulnerable unless Trump is historically unpopular.

He's had terrible approval ratings for his entire term, and they only got worse last year, so... I'd even say he's more vulnerable at the moment than Heller.

On the other hand, plenty of unpopular incumbents have won re-election. Arizona remains a tough state for Democrats, much more so than Nevada.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 11:14:34 PM »

Jeff Flake is one of the Senate's staunchest fiscal conservatives. He's not a moderate
He IS a moderate on a lot of things, but he is a very fiscally responsible character. He is actually a very good fit for Arizona and I think he is one of the most electable Republicans in office.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 03:51:23 AM »

The 2018 midterms will likely be bad for the GOP despite the good map as Trump's unpopularity will cancel it out. He is already at 40% approval and this is his honeymoon, after two years of his disastrous 'leadership' it will probably be lower and the Democrats will do well(not sure if they can gain either house though). Could go differently but this us the most likely scenario.
Klartext89

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 07:04:44 AM »

What is "moral" for the one, is immoral for the other one.

I also hope that Flake goes down in a Primary cause he would have prefered the destruction of the US by Hillary Clinton instead of making America great again.
Klartext89

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 07:05:37 AM »

Lmao

Flake is a member of the LDS Church. He is an excellent public servant and has good moral values.

Well, doesn't it tell the whole story that he is praised by Democrats here? ;-)
Klartext89

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 07:09:54 AM »

The 2018 midterms will likely be bad for the GOP despite the good map as Trump's unpopularity will cancel it out. He is already at 40% approval and this is his honeymoon, after two years of his disastrous 'leadership' it will probably be lower and the Democrats will do well(not sure if they can gain either house though). Could go differently but this us the most likely scenario.

I doubt he has a 40% approval rating among the midterm electorate in states like Missouri, Indiana, Montana, North Dakota, West Virginia, Ohio. Maybe he has a 40% approval rating with the whole size of the American people, but only a third will go to the polls in a midterm and having an approval rating of 10% in California, Massachusetts or Illinois won't be a problem in terms of Senate control.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 08:02:31 AM »

I mean, Trump carried this state by 4 points.

Lean republican
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 12:28:41 PM »

I doubt he has a 40% approval rating among the midterm electorate in states like Missouri, Indiana, Montana, North Dakota, West Virginia, Ohio. Maybe he has a 40% approval rating with the whole size of the American people, but only a third will go to the polls in a midterm and having an approval rating of 10% in California, Massachusetts or Illinois won't be a problem in terms of Senate control.
In 2010 the tea party wave won a senate seat in Massachusetts where Obama was popular in 2006 the dems won house seats in deep red areas were Bush was still popular when there is a mood in the country that always causes a swing
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »

How elastic is Arizona? That might be a better indicator of how strong a prospect it'll be for Dems in 2018, rather than who won it last year
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 03:13:53 PM »

How elastic is Arizona? That might be a better indicator of how strong a prospect it'll be for Dems in 2018, rather than who won it last year

I think its decently elastic.

The important thing about this poll is the 31% undecided margin.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 07:48:06 PM »

This. Remember all those states that Bush and Obama won in 2004 and 2008 by double digits that ended up electing opposite party senators? Lol

And remember that every state last year voted for the same party in both the presidential and the Senate race? Assuming people like Heitkamp and Donnelly will easily cruise to reelection just because TRUMP!!!1! is a dangerous assumption and shows how overconfident Democrats are again.

Democrats can be overconfident but it feels like whenever a Red Avatar expresses anything but abject despair, you're there to jump down their throats about it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies