Describe a Dewey 1944/JFK 1960/Goldwater 1964/Humphrey 1968/Ford 1976 voter...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:42:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Describe a Dewey 1944/JFK 1960/Goldwater 1964/Humphrey 1968/Ford 1976 voter...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a Dewey 1944/JFK 1960/Goldwater 1964/Humphrey 1968/Ford 1976 voter...  (Read 1096 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2017, 05:59:19 PM »

And who else they voted for in 1952, 1956, 1972, and any other election you think they would be able to vote in.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:18:05 PM »

White, probably.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 07:26:11 PM »

1944: Dewey
1948: Truman
1952: Stevenson
1956: Stevenson
1960: JFK
1964: Goldwater
1968: Humphrey
1972: Nixon
1976: Ford
1980: Reagan
1984: Reagan
1988: Bush
1992: Clinton
1996: Clinton
2000: Gore
2004: Bush
2008: McCain

Hawkish anti-communist Democrat from New England or the midwest generally liberal and pro-labor on domestic issues but hardline on foreign policy. Voted for Dewey in 44 because said voter felt they would do a better job of confronting the Soviet Union and handling the post-war world then FDR who they saw as inexperienced at that point. Voted Truman in 48 due to being impressed with his foreign policy and generally agreeing on domestic issues. In 1952 was undecided at first and liked both Stevenson and Eisenhower but ended up going with Stevenson because even though said voter was a supporter of McCarthyism didn't see Eisenhower as committed enough to outweigh all other domestic concerns. Continued voting Democrat until 64 when after the bay of pigs he was even more radicalized and voted for Goldwater who he saw as taking the hardest line against the Soviet Union. Voted Humphrey in 68 who said voter generally agreed with and didn't see enough difference between him and Nixon on Vietnam to really prefer either. Nixon in 72 for obvious reasons, Ford in 76 due to a personal dislike of Carter and southern Democrats, voted Republican at the presidential level in the 80s then switched back to Democrats in the postwar world, Bush in 04 and McCain in 08 due to being hawkish on the war on terror before dying in 2010.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 08:15:14 PM »

Were there any Goldwater-Humphrey voters?
Kantakouzenos
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »

It looks like there were many in the deep south. 
Eharding

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 01:57:26 PM »

-Goldwater-Wallace voters were not in any sense Goldwater-Humphrey voters.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 04:11:36 PM »

I've yet to see any compelling evidence that Wallace voters favored Nixon by any significant margin over Humphrey as their second choice, honestly.  I'd be willing to believe a well-researched case for such, but all I ever hear now is, well, people's opinions.
Eharding

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »

I've yet to see any compelling evidence that Wallace voters favored Nixon by any significant margin over Humphrey as their second choice, honestly.  I'd be willing to believe a well-researched case for such, but all I ever hear now is, well, people's opinions.

-1972 was not enough for you? Compare the vote in various MI counties, 1960 and 1968. Macomb Wallace voters broke for Kennedy in 1960; Livingston and Oakland Wallace voters broke for Nixon in 1960. There were many more of the latter type than the former. Both the Wallace counties in Oklahoma went for Nixon in 1960. And Humphrey was tarnished in the South by Johnson's civil rights record; not so for JFK.

Have you seriously not read The Emerging Republican Majority?
Chinggis
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 12:24:19 AM »

And who else they voted for in 1952, 1956, 1972, and any other election you think they would be able to vote in.

This is so weirdly specific I feel like taking a stab at it. Is it someone you know? (just curious, feel free to disregard)

German-American farmer (or entrepreneur connected to farming in a tangible way), somewhere on the northern Plains... probably in one of the Dakotas. Devout Catholic. Very proud of their German heritage, probably bilingual or even speaking German as a first language. Sensitive to perceived discrimination and vulnerable to market swings. Populist authoritarian with a judgemental, moralistic streak at times; registered Republican who despises Wall Street.

1940 (first eligible election): Willkie
1944: Dewey
1948: Dewey (liked Truman though)
1952: Eisenhower (of course)
1956: Eisenhower (was tempted to vote Stevenson or leave the ballot blank but... it was Ike!)
1960: Kennedy (half-ashamed and half-proud, to vote for this Democrat who was also a Catholic)
1964: Goldwater (people said he was crazy but he talked about the banks)
1968: Humphrey (had some wacky liberal ideas but was a good Midwestern guy, good for the farmers)
1972: McGovern (see above)
1976: Ford (didn't trust that hypocrite Carter with his Playboy moralizing)
1980: Reagan (knew something was up with Carter and sure enough, he destroyed the Plains economy)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 07:15:27 AM »

The counties that shifted from Goldwater to Humphrey can probably be explained by an increase in the black vote from 1964 to 1968.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 12:48:32 PM »

-1972 was not enough for you? Compare the vote in various MI counties, 1960 and 1968. Macomb Wallace voters broke for Kennedy in 1960; Livingston and Oakland Wallace voters broke for Nixon in 1960. There were many more of the latter type than the former. Both the Wallace counties in Oklahoma went for Nixon in 1960. And Humphrey was tarnished in the South by Johnson's civil rights record; not so for JFK.

Nixon won EVERYWHERE in 1968.  Were the voters of Vermont voting as a backlash against civil rights?  It almost sounds like you're PROUD of some supposed anti-civil rights ploy by the GOP.
Eharding

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 01:41:03 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2017, 01:47:51 PM by Eharding »

I've yet to see any compelling evidence that Wallace voters favored Nixon by any significant margin over Humphrey as their second choice, honestly.  I'd be willing to believe a well-researched case for such, but all I ever hear now is, well, people's opinions.

Nixon won EVERYWHERE in 1968.  Were the voters of Vermont voting as a backlash against civil rights?  It almost sounds like you're PROUD of some supposed anti-civil rights ploy by the GOP.

-Nixon had no anti-civil-rights ploys; that's why Wallace ran in the first place. Nixon always used a fifty-state strategy, which often meant ignoring local issues. Nixon's base in 1968 was mostly just a reduced Nixon 1960 base. Read what I write. In any case, it is a certainty that after 1964, no northern Democrat could ever win the vote in the Deep South. And Humphrey was very much a northern Democrat.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 07:08:08 AM »

I've yet to see any compelling evidence that Wallace voters favored Nixon by any significant margin over Humphrey as their second choice, honestly.  I'd be willing to believe a well-researched case for such, but all I ever hear now is, well, people's opinions.

Nixon won EVERYWHERE in 1968.  Were the voters of Vermont voting as a backlash against civil rights?  It almost sounds like you're PROUD of some supposed anti-civil rights ploy by the GOP.

-Nixon had no anti-civil-rights ploys; that's why Wallace ran in the first place. Nixon always used a fifty-state strategy, which often meant ignoring local issues. Nixon's base in 1968 was mostly just a reduced Nixon 1960 base. Read what I write. In any case, it is a certainty that after 1964, no northern Democrat could ever win the vote in the Deep South. And Humphrey was very much a northern Democrat.

Well by '68, most of the liberals had gone Democratic. A liberal had no chance of winning southern electoral votes. Heck, even Carter was largely a moderate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies