FE 8:Fremont Abortion Regulation act (vetoed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:22:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FE 8:Fremont Abortion Regulation act (vetoed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FE 8:Fremont Abortion Regulation act (vetoed)  (Read 1064 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2017, 11:26:09 PM »
« edited: January 29, 2017, 09:24:54 PM by Speaker 1184AZ »

Sponsor 1184AZ Federalist
-------------
48 hours for debate.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 01:01:05 AM »

I support any and all restrictions on abortion, but the penalty for illegal abortions is far too lenient.  The medical certificate should be immediately revoked and a manslaughter charge, at a minimum, ought to be imposed. 

These are changes I would like to the bill, at the very minimum.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 01:11:14 AM »

I support any and all restrictions on abortion, but the penalty for illegal abortions is far too lenient.  The medical certificate should be immediately revoked and a manslaughter charge, at a minimum, ought to be imposed. 

I think the aim of this bill is not just to restrict abortion, but to regulate it. The sponsor is obviously not opposed to abortion, he wants it to take place in a framework that both provides the health of the mother and the dignity of human life as soon as we are able to talk about a human life. I don't see your point.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 03:10:49 AM »

I think the aim of this bill is not just to restrict abortion, but to regulate it. The sponsor is obviously not opposed to abortion, he wants it to take place in a framework that both provides the health of the mother and the dignity of human life as soon as we are able to talk about a human life. I don't see your point.

If someone acknowledges that it is wrong for late-term abortions, it seems to follow that it would be based on the dignity of human life, and I think that dignity is worth far more than $50,000.  If we're being intellectually consistent here, the penalty needs to be higher, I'd assert.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 12:04:37 PM »

Too be honest, I thought you were referring to the 24 mark, sorry about that. Yes, considering that logic, you are right. I strongly support a woman's right to decide for herself what to do with her body, but at some point of time, we have to admit that we are talking about removing a sensitive human being (that - in some cases - would even be able to survive on its own.)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 09:00:54 PM »

What kind of alternate penalty are your wanting, because $50,000 is already a significant fine. Like I am open if you want to introduce a small jail sentence as a potential penalty, but I think the fine is reasonable enough where it is.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:24:05 PM »

I think some jail time is necessary at a minimum - most states would have at least 1 year penalty for manslaughter.  I would put the advisory sentence at 3-5 years at a minimum, but any time is better than nothing.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 07:26:25 PM »

I will extend debate for 24 hours on this bill.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 05:23:36 PM »

bump, their seems to be some interest in an amendment to this bill.  Could someone please propose one if they would like to amend the bill, or else I will open this up for a final vote tonight.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 03:37:33 AM »

I think you mean "No medical facility or medical professional in Fremont  may preform an Abortion after 24 weeks with the acceptation exception of saving the life of the mother."
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 04:08:04 PM »

I offer the following amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The singular purpose of this amendment is to correct some ambiguous language and minor grammatical errors in the original draft of the bill (my thanks to Representative Goldwater for his assistance). It does not alter the substance of the proposal at hand. That said, I would be interested to see an amendment along the lines of that discussed by Legislators Simossad and RFayette. Personally, I'm of the opinion that medical licenses ought to be revoked, or at least suspended, after the first infraction - it seems odd to me that a doctor could twice violate regional law and be allowed to continue practicing medicine as if nothing had happened.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 04:27:08 PM »

Amendment is friendly
---------
Ammendment has been adopted,I will extend debate an additional 24 hours on this bill.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 04:35:32 PM »

I propose an amendment to add a 3-5 year advisory sentence for each illegal abortion procured.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 07:30:36 PM »

The singular purpose of this amendment is to correct some ambiguous language and minor grammatical errors in the original draft of the bill (my thanks to Representative Goldwater for his assistance). It does not alter the substance of the proposal at hand. That said, I would be interested to see an amendment along the lines of that discussed by Legislators Simossad and RFayette. Personally, I'm of the opinion that medical licenses ought to be revoked, or at least suspended, after the first infraction - it seems odd to me that a doctor could twice violate regional law and be allowed to continue practicing medicine as if nothing had happened.
Is this good RFayette.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 09:10:13 PM »

Is this good RFayette.
Suggestion: 3.1 should probably read "a three (3) to five (5) year jail sentence."
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 09:12:43 PM »

Is this good RFayette.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 10:44:52 PM »

I like this change and would vote aye on it.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 05:45:37 PM »

I will now put this proposed bill up for a 24 hour final vote. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain on this bill.
--------------
Aye
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »

Aye.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 12:47:28 AM »

This bill passes with 2 ayes and 1 not voting, and goes to the Govrenors desk for his signature or veto.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 05:58:36 PM »

Right, one question:

Is this a typo, or did the sponsor actually mean to write "procured?" I cannot support any legislation that would sentence a person to 5 years in prison for receiving an abortion.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 06:14:48 PM »

Right, one question:

Is this a typo, or did the sponsor actually mean to write "procured?" I cannot support any legislation that would sentence a person to 5 years in prison for receiving an abortion.
Thanks for catching that, I just put in what RFayette wanted to place in the bill as an amendment.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 07:34:08 PM »

While in favor of the provisions set forth in Section 2, the prescribed jail sentence set forth by Section 3, clause i of this bill is poorly worded and could conceivably be construed as to mandate the imprisonment of women who seek illegal abortions. Under no circumstances will I support such a policy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies