Question to Trump supporters, how are you ok with this tax return thing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:07:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Question to Trump supporters, how are you ok with this tax return thing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question to Trump supporters, how are you ok with this tax return thing?  (Read 751 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2017, 12:17:51 PM »

During the election I heard so much about "Crooked Hillary", "Clinton Foundation", and "I'm sick of politicians lying to us". So how can any of you be ok with how Trump is handling his tax returns? He contradicts himself and flat out lies about why he can't release his tax returns with Kellyanne coming out and flat out saying he won't release them. So why after all this talk of corruption are you ok with Trump acting corrupt?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:21:59 PM »

I never once clicked on or read an article that had anything to do with any President's release of their tax returns, because I couldn't care less what these riches made in private or public life,  so I really don't care if Trump releases his or not. 

I don't see the harm in releasing the returns, but it's not required so it's his call. 

Frankly, the fallout for this will be far less than his other doozies.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:22:27 PM »

I don't care, and I don't care about the Clinton Foundation either.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:25:24 PM »

During the election I heard so much about "Crooked Hillary", "Clinton Foundation", and "I'm sick of politicians lying to us". So how can any of you be ok with how Trump is handling his tax returns? He contradicts himself and flat out lies about why he can't release his tax returns with Kellyanne coming out and flat out saying he won't release them. So why after all this talk of corruption are you ok with Trump acting corrupt?

All the "Crooked Hillary" and "Clinton Foundation" stuff was a crock of shyte. It was just a cover to hide that they didn't like her because she was a woman.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »

I think it's really simple: Trump supporters are amazingly stupid.  Not an "I don't agree with them" stupid. And not  just "not that smart" or "missing some education stupid". They have a sort of aggressive, willful stupid that is only possible with real effort. And  I think the cause is fear and cognitive dissonance.

Things are bad for a lot of people in the US. And they're also deeply challenging and uncomfortable to a lot of people, often the same people. And they're not going to get better, or go back to being the way they were without change that doesn't seem really possible right now. Including from Trump. But they've already bit on the Trump bait. Admitting that he's the pinnacle of Dunning-Kruger would be both admitting how screwed they are, both ideologically and economically, AND it would be a huge blow to their self esteem because they'd need to acknowledge just how stupid they've been. And they'd rather die or kill than do that.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 01:43:48 PM »

I think it's really simple: Trump supporters are amazingly stupid.  Not an "I don't agree with them" stupid. And not  just "not that smart" or "missing some education stupid". They have a sort of aggressive, willful stupid that is only possible with real effort. And  I think the cause is fear and cognitive dissonance.

Things are bad for a lot of people in the US. And they're also deeply challenging and uncomfortable to a lot of people, often the same people. And they're not going to get better, or go back to being the way they were without change that doesn't seem really possible right now. Including from Trump. But they've already bit on the Trump bait. Admitting that he's the pinnacle of Dunning-Kruger would be both admitting how screwed they are, both ideologically and economically, AND it would be a huge blow to their self esteem because they'd need to acknowledge just how stupid they've been. And they'd rather die or kill than do that.

You're an Atlas treasure, my libtard friend.  Smiley
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 02:03:15 PM »

I don't care, and I don't care about the Clinton Foundation either.

congratulations for intellectual integrity.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 03:33:02 PM »

Some blue avatars may call Runeghost mean-spirited and stupid, but really he's just telling it like it is! Don't the PC police stop you!
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 03:37:41 PM »

I never once clicked on or read an article that had anything to do with any President's release of their tax returns, because I couldn't care less what these riches made in private or public life,  so I really don't care if Trump releases his or not. 

I don't see the harm in releasing the returns, but it's not required so it's his call. 

Frankly, the fallout for this will be far less than his other doozies.

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 05:44:19 PM »

The tax returns are basically a red herring; if there were anything damning in there I'm pretty sure the IRS would be on it. If we're drawing a comparison to the Clinton Foundation kerfuffle, the accusations of Russia influencing Trump would be a more relevant point.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 09:50:06 PM »

The tax returns are basically a red herring; if there were anything damning in there I'm pretty sure the IRS would be on it.
Not necessarily.  The IRS are by law supposed to be the tax police, not the morals police.  As long as Trump reports his income accurately and pays the tax that is due, then the IRS is satisfied, even if the sources of income are embarrassing or even illegal.

That said, I wasn't all that interested in them.  We didn't need to see the tax returns to see Trump's lack of character.  That was abundantly obvious to anyone who cared to look.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 09:56:09 PM »

These people heard Trump admit to sexual assault on tape and looked the other way. After that everything's easy to swallow.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 09:57:02 PM »

some lessons are to be learned the hard way. ^^

it's just a shame we are never going to know who trump is indebted to.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 06:28:36 AM »

I really don't care, Trump is already a scam artist. If he has ties to other counties, are we surprised? I rather just sit by and let it come out organically because it'll only hurt him and his brand. We're so suspect of Trump, that one false move and we ponce. His whole administration is filled with people trying to take that extra dollar from people all over the world.
Klartext89

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 07:42:15 AM »

99% wouldn't even read or understand the returns, I'm basically on the 1% side cause I studied and I'm working on taxation and auditing so I would be interested, but it isn't a big deal. I believe in privacy and therefore can't really understand how transparent the US systems is in terms of money.

As a German, I didn't even know how much my last girlfriend of two years was making in a month lol. Totally different culture, so I'm voting present.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 08:16:22 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2017, 08:18:00 AM by politics_king »

99% wouldn't even read or understand the returns, I'm basically on the 1% side cause I studied and I'm working on taxation and auditing so I would be interested, but it isn't a big deal. I believe in privacy and therefore can't really understand how transparent the US systems is in terms of money.

As a German, I didn't even know how much my last girlfriend of two years was making in a month lol. Totally different culture, so I'm voting present.

Denmark, I assume? Our country is so diverse and spread out, we need to listen to our people. Our middle American class is hurting and they live in some of the cheapest areas where we live. So I agree to an extent that they wanted help. Private business is cool, but we have a problem in our country that they'll take advantage of it. It's why it became a Populist vs. Establishment election. So many GOP's jumped to Hillary cause she would've kept up the status-quo. While the majority of voters went for Trump, while common-sense voters either didn't vote or went 3rd party because they didn't represent what we were looking for. I was a non-voter, and I don't want to hear the "you wasted your vote" talking garbage point because 1.) I didn't vote and 2.) both candidates sucked because I saw them for what they were... a Con-Artist and War-Monger.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 09:17:49 AM »

Poll from ABC had the number of Americans not wanting him to release it in the teens. People supporting Trump on this are in a small small minority (even overall Trump supporters want them released).
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 09:22:48 AM »

#DrainTheSwamp
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 12:49:30 PM »

Can you do martial arts and read tax returns at the same time though?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 12:55:25 PM »

i surely feel mature enough to not freak out about romney-like tax evasion in this year and age.

and romney-like stuff wouldn't have been dramatical enough to risk so much bad press anyway.

i think it would have made many of trump's talking points much more difficult if everybody could have seen that his own network easily competes with the clinton one.

and since hs is far worse with money than the clintons and lives like an IT-girl......i guess showing off how much in debt he is with the chinese or russiands wouldn't have helped too.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 12:55:35 PM »

Eventually they'll be subpoenaed (at his impeachment trial) and we'll all get to review them at that time.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies