Why does the media have such a fetish with Mike Pence calling his wife "mother"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:45:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why does the media have such a fetish with Mike Pence calling his wife "mother"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why does the media have such a fetish with Mike Pence calling his wife "mother"?  (Read 2559 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2017, 02:09:36 PM »

Huh

Around here a lot of old couples are calling their wives "mother" ... so nothing unusual to me really.

It is a reference that the wife is the "mother" of the family.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 02:20:01 PM »

I always call my wife mama when I'm talking to my son, and she always calls me daddy when she's talking to my son.

I suppose if I had a whole brood I'd get so used to doing it that I'd be calling her mama all the time, no matter whom I am speaking to.  Does Pence have many children?  If so, that's understandable.

Does the press fetishize it?  They're like that about everything.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 02:21:35 PM »

Considering that this is the first time I hear of it, does not seem to be such a media fetish.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 03:01:16 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2017, 03:02:48 PM by Snowguy716 »

When I was growing up, it was always "your mom" or "your dad".  When they got divorced, it was still "your mom" but my mom began referring to him as "your father" when she wasn't being particularly charitable to him.  

My grandparents always refer to each other as "grandma" or "grandpa" around us.  My grandma growing up always referred to her parents as 'mother and daddy'.

Men in northern MN wouldn't refer to their wives as "mother".  It's most often "my old lady".  "My old man" refers to your dad though.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 03:02:10 PM »

My parents used to call each other "Mom" or "Dad" when I was very little. But not when I was out of the room. The weird thing with Pence is that he apparently calls his wife "Mother, Mother" ALL of the time. Even when children aren't around.

It's not a controversy, it's just a weird quirk that got some attention.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 03:04:40 PM »

By the way for anyone confused, this is coming from a Rolling Stone piece on Pence:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 03:14:38 PM »

By the way for anyone confused, this is coming from a Rolling Stone piece on Pence:

Rolling Stone needs to stick to music. Their journalistic pieces are trash. "lol who calls their wife so weirdz lol!" is their basic point-I guess if you're trying to reach young white millennial liberals it works, but how many white millennials read Rolling Stone?
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 03:17:12 PM »

Yeah this is very common for people in Indiana who have had kids together, and I assume it is elsewhere too?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 03:20:03 PM »

Rolling Stone needs to stick to music. Their journalistic pieces are trash. "lol who calls their wife so weirdz lol!" is their basic point-I guess if you're trying to reach young white millennial liberals it works, but how many white millennials read Rolling Stone?

I also hate Rolling Stone (Though I currently have a subscription, as my step-father is a bad Christmas gift giver) both for their bland aging hippie articles and their out of touch music tastes.

That being said calling your wife "Mother" when no children are present is kinda bizarre. To be honest, people who unironically call their moms "Mother" creep me the hell out.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 03:21:14 PM »

Yeah this is very common for people in Indiana who have had kids together, and I assume it is elsewhere too?

Is it an Indiana thing? Because the state legislators in the article seemed to be just as confused as I am.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 03:24:15 PM »

Let me put it this way, I'm a Mormon, a religion considered incredibly weird by much of America, and I have never heard that form of address before. Pence is weird.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 03:24:27 PM »

to Rolling Stone, anything that isn't cool and current is strange, exotic and hilarious. 
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 03:35:48 PM »

Calling the more dominant partner in a relationship "daddy" is quite common in the gay community.

Maybe Pence is just a sub?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 04:07:07 PM »

Wait, what? Huh

That IS weird.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 04:37:15 PM »

NEVER heard about this about Pence before this thread.

And NEVER heard about this in other people in general.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 05:54:28 PM »

I think part of why this comes off as extra weird is it feels like no one really knows Mike Pence, the person. We've seen him speak during the VP debates, but it never felt like we were getting the "real" Mike Pence during that debate, we got politician Mike Pence.

And so now the first bit of info we get on his personality is "Awkward dinner host" and "Calls his wife "Mother"".
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 07:14:12 PM »

I recall Williams Jennings Bryan in Inherit the Wind did this two or three times, which initially left me confused, but it doesn't seems to be quite as absurd in Middle America. I quite like it. It's intriguing. But I'm not sure I'll ever be adjusted to it.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 07:30:53 PM »

I recall Williams Jennings Bryan in Inherit the Wind did this two or three times, which initially left me confused, but it doesn't seems to be quite as absurd in Middle America. I quite like it. It's intriguing. But I'm not sure I'll ever be adjusted to it.

I think it'd be less weird if he called her "Mom". That way you can kind of write it off as "That's how he talks around his kids and he's so used to it that he doesn't even think about it". That would actually be kind of endearing. But "Mother" is so formal that it makes him sound like Norman Bates.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 07:39:06 PM »

This is the first that I've heard of it. A lot of people would find that to be odd because it's an incredibly old term of endearment for a wife.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 08:24:23 PM »

Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 08:36:33 PM »

It's usually something older people say, I remember my great grandparents referred to each other as "dad" and "mother". I wouldn't say it's common but this doesn't strike me as being unusual. It also may be more of a small town/ rural thing, although I guess Columbus isn't all that rural it sorta has a down home feel to it.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 08:56:57 PM »

It's usually something older people say, I remember my great grandparents referred to each other as "dad" and "mother". I wouldn't say it's common but this doesn't strike me as being unusual. It also may be more of a small town/ rural thing, although I guess Columbus isn't all that rural it sorta has a down home feel to it.

I've heard people my grandparents' age and older do this. I've never heard people my parents' (and Mike Pence's) age do this.

In a similar vein, Ronald Reagan's calling his wife "Mommy" could be deconstructed for eternity.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 09:47:22 PM »

My parents call each other this, with my dad also calling my mum, the Nepalese equivalent of wife, and her shortened name, as well as the Nepalese eqivalent of mum. My mum, would also call my dad, the Nepalese equivalent of husband, and the Nepalese equivalent of "dad".

Nevertheless, disgusted at the responses of liberals on this thread.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 09:51:13 PM »

My parents call each other this, with my dad also calling my mum, the Nepalese equivalent of wife, and her shortened name, as well as the Nepalese eqivalent of mum. My mum, would also call my dad, the Nepalese equivalent of husband, and the Nepalese equivalent of "dad".

Jesus Christ what's with the Dark Red avatars constantly needing to act morally superior at every turn.

"Disgusted?" All I did was note it's kind of weird. I even asked Alphonso for clarification on whether it's just a Hoosier tradition I was unfamiliar with. F**k off dude.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 01:15:28 AM »

Let me put it this way, I'm a Mormon, a religion considered incredibly weird by much of America, and I have never heard that form of address before. Pence is weird.

Jesus Christ what's with the Dark Red avatars constantly needing to act morally superior at every turn.

"Disgusted?" All I did was note it's kind of weird. I even asked Alphonso for clarification on whether it's just a Hoosier tradition I was unfamiliar with. F**k off dude.

Maybe disgusting is a strong word, but the response was unsettling it is. Especially the last, lovely, "picture" response.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies