Trump pledges to cut taxes and regulation 'massively'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:30:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump pledges to cut taxes and regulation 'massively'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: What do you think of Trump's policy ideas on tax cuts and deregulation?
Freedom Policies

Horrible Policies

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Trump pledges to cut taxes and regulation 'massively'  (Read 2027 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:17:35 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-pledge-cut-taxes-regulation-234028

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm sure these massive tax cuts and deregulations will work out as well as they did during the Reagan, Clinton, and Bush II Administrations, i.e. yet another market crash and fudging of numbers seems inevitable at this point. And so much for Trump being anything less than a stooge for big business and the Establishment of the GOP.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 04:20:06 PM »

The regulation cuts will likely save far more than a tax decrease for them, but FP's nevertheless.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »

If massively cutting taxes would really benefit the people who need it....

And if massively cutting regulation would not hurt the environment in any way but would be the best thing that happened since sliced bread, then go for it.

But I don't think that is the outcome of this type of belief system.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 04:36:29 PM »

Regulations for small businesses can indeed be cut. But there should be absolutely no cuts to regulate big business or the banks. If Wall Street is not regulated, we will end up in another recession sooner or later.

Tax reform is right, inclusive a tax relief for smaller and medium-sized businesses. But that alone not enough. We also need a simplification of the tax code, higher taxes on the wealthy and close tax loopholes. Also a cut in spending and make government more efficient to balance the budget.

With Trump's approach, still far more bad than good policies.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 04:46:29 PM »

Regulations for small businesses can indeed be cut. But there should be absolutely no cuts to regulate big business or the banks. If Wall Street is not regulated, we will end up in another recession sooner or later.

Tax reform is right, inclusive a tax relief for smaller and medium-sized businesses. But that alone not enough. We also need a simplification of the tax code, higher taxes on the wealthy and close tax loopholes. Also a cut in spending and make government more efficient to balance the budget.

FTFY.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 04:48:43 PM »

FTFY.

LOL.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 05:58:01 PM »

Fiscal conservatives are the bane of man.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 06:05:04 PM »

Trump tax cuts still wont be as big as Reagan tax cuts(who cut it from 70% to 28% compared to trump 40% to 33%) .About regulations it depends on what regulations are going to be cut.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 06:10:27 PM »

Trump tax cuts still wont be as big as Reagan tax cuts(who cut it from 70% to 28% compared to trump 40% to 33%) .About regulations it depends on what regulations are going to be cut.

I honestly don't think he has any idea. It's not like all regulations are bad, and even ones that have meaningful impacts on business profits or productivity may indeed be worth the trade off if they safeguard consumers or the environment sufficiently enough.

So I'd bet that Trump is just sitting at his desk thinking of random percentages of regulations to cut that he believes will sound good, and then just goes with that.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 06:13:25 PM »

Whatever he does I hope it massively improves the lives of Jane and Joe America and also our economy.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 06:25:38 PM »

Depends on what regulations and taxes are cut.
But considering it is Trump it will probably be bad.

I think the only way we could be certain of positive cuts would be if Paul and Sanders were in charge of it working together to eliminate wasteful things that hurt Americans.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 06:33:54 PM »

Deregulation and tax cuts are hardly going to be beneficial to the working class voters that put Trump in office.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 06:35:49 PM »

I guess Trump dumped his man of the people's shtick and is instead governing like a normal Republican. SAD!
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 06:40:42 PM »

Regulation shouldn't exist.  I would say "if something is bad enough that it has to be regulated, it should be banned.  And, if something is worthwhile enough to be legal, it shouldn't be regulated".  Anything else just leads to inefficiencies in the market.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »

Nitpick Bill Clinton actually raised income taxes and the Glass-Steagall repeal were broadly supported and passed by veto-proof majorities.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 06:54:55 PM »

Whatever he does I hope it massively improves the lives of Jane and Joe America and also our economy.

Like many Republican policies I'm sure it will at least try to help Jane and Joe, but not so much Jamaal or Jerome.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 07:20:23 PM »

Some of the GOP tax cuts swirling around (like the border adjustment plan or Mike Lee's proposal to eliminate corp income taxes while raising capital gains to ordinary income) sound more stimulators than the usual marginal tax cut that the GOP typically harps about, but I still doubt it works like they claim it will
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »

Regulation shouldn't exist.  I would say "if something is bad enough that it has to be regulated, it should be banned.  And, if something is worthwhile enough to be legal, it shouldn't be regulated".  Anything else just leads to inefficiencies in the market.
You need to take some public administration classes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 07:55:02 PM »

Obviously it depends on what's cut.  to say "Yes!" or "oh no, here we go" at this point is silly.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 07:56:46 PM »

Tell me which falls into each category:

-Greenhouse emissions
-Workplace safety standards
-Zoning regulations (Don't build the fertilizer factory next to the elementary school)
-Misleading advertisements
-FDA approval of food
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 07:58:00 PM »

Obviously it depends on what's cut.  to say "Yes!" or "oh no, here we go" at this point is silly.

I can look at previous attempts by the GOP to gut regulations and feel fully justified in saying "Here we f**king go". And something tells me Trump's the type to prefer a hatchet over a scalpel when it comes to regulation reform.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 08:42:13 PM »

Republicans tend to cut the good regulations and do nothing about the useless red tape, so yeah, not feeling this one.

Also cutting rich people's top tax rate from 40% to 33% will create basically no jobs. That's not how economics works.
I have a feeling with Trump, there will still be less changes that take your from "Oh. I am sorry. You need to come back after filling these things out." to "Ok. Great here we go!" than "Thank goodness someone was looking out for us!" to "Oh my God! Why didn't anyone see that coming!?"
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 08:44:30 PM »

He's a representative of corporate wealth and power in a coalition with Protestant fundamentalists and the Opus Dei faction of the Catholic Church against everything else. He stands for an America in which 95% of the people suffer for 2%...

We are already on a bumpy ride. It is too late to fasten our seat belts.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 08:45:41 PM »

That's... downright retarded.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 08:47:29 PM »

Republicans tend to cut the good regulations and do nothing about the useless red tape, so yeah, not feeling this one.

Also cutting rich people's top tax rate from 40% to 33% will create basically no jobs. That's not how economics works.
I have a feeling with Trump, there will still be less changes that take your from "Oh. I am sorry. You need to come back after filling these things out." to "Ok. Great here we go!" than "Thank goodness someone was looking out for us!" to "Oh my God! Why didn't anyone see that coming!?"

How GOP policy works in 2017:

"We could gut some of these meaningless red tape regulations in a way that makes sense, but what's the fun in that! Let's repeal the Americans With Disabilities Act and make it legal to shoot spotted owls instead, that'll REALLY piss those libtards off!"
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies