ND 2018: If Cramer doesn't run against Heitkamp, is Heitkamp still vulnerable?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:38:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ND 2018: If Cramer doesn't run against Heitkamp, is Heitkamp still vulnerable?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Yes or no?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: ND 2018: If Cramer doesn't run against Heitkamp, is Heitkamp still vulnerable?  (Read 2094 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2017, 08:03:38 PM »

Is Heitkamp vulnerable even if Cramer doesn't run?
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 08:08:45 PM »

Yes, she'll always be vulnerable in a state that red.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 08:09:46 PM »

The GOP could fail to recruit anybody and run a random state legislator, and the race would still be no better than Lean D.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 08:25:17 PM »

The only candidates she would beat handily are Rick Berg and Rick Becker, but I could live with that since I really don't really like either. Someone like Jack Dalrymple, Thomas Campbell, Brian Kalk, or Kelly Schmidt would be also favored, but a generic Republican would still make it a race.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 08:35:06 PM »

Of course she is vulnerable.  Dalrymple or Stenehjem could easily beat her.  That's not to say they necessarily WOULD, however.
R/H
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 08:36:46 PM »

I think Hitkamp will win re-eletion next year since she supports the Keystone XL pipeline, a project strongly supported in North Dakota, a Republican stronghold, which would help her to get some Trump voters.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/09/27/north-dakota-senator-heidi-heitkamp-on-keystone-pipeline-vows-obama-veto-override/2878573/
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 08:41:19 PM »

Would it be competitive if the Republican is Nicole Poolman or Drew Wrigley?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »

I think Hitkamp will win re-eletion next year since she supports the Keystone XL pipeline, a project strongly supported in North Dakota, a Republican stronghold, which would help her to get some Trump voters.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/09/27/north-dakota-senator-heidi-heitkamp-on-keystone-pipeline-vows-obama-veto-override/2878573/
True, she's also pro-gun, but I can also see the Republican say (if the pipeline doesn't pass this Congress): Heitkamp supports the Keystone but she'll vote for Schumer for majority leader who will (probably) not put it up for a vote in the Senate.

Also, I forgot to add Wayne Stenehjem to my list of strong candidates.
Would it be competitive if the Republican is Nicole Poolman or Drew Wrigley?
Poolman (and her husband, a former Insurance Commissioner) would both be B-listers, as well as Wrigley (I think he had some ethical issue IIRC), but would still be decent, I guess.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 08:49:11 PM »

Yes, she might even be more vulnerable considering Cramer ain't that great of a candidate in the first place.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 08:54:36 PM »

I was about to write a post saying 20 points would be a stretch, but I actually agree considering she's been playing footsie with big oil in way that is deeply unsatisfactory to the significant native american population in North Dakota. She could lose a substantial amount of the Democratic base to a third party or even to them not turning out.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 09:05:58 PM »

Yup.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 09:11:25 PM »

Yes, the race is very winnable for either party regardless of who the Republicans nominate.
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 12:48:15 AM »

I was about to write a post saying 20 points would be a stretch, but I actually agree considering she's been playing footsie with big oil in way that is deeply unsatisfactory to the significant native american population in North Dakota. She could lose a substantial amount of the Democratic base to a third party or even to them not turning out.

Have similar concerns about Manchin. For both candidates a quarter to half their voters are solid Democrats -- risk losing turnout among your base and you risk tipping a tight election. Part of why I think that among those two, Donnelly, Tester and McCaskill I would say Tester has by far the easiest path to reelection.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »

what about the possibility that republicans punt on it like Nebraska in 2006 and Heitkamp wins easily?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 01:44:05 PM »

Given the fact that she's only in her first, term and is in a state that leans R across the board, she's by no means a shoo-in for reelection.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 01:48:01 PM »

what about the possibility that republicans punt on it like Nebraska in 2006 and Heitkamp wins easily?
Not happening. Heitkamp is popular but not heavily popular like Ben Nelson was
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 10:11:59 PM »

Not happening. Heitkamp is popular but not heavily popular like Ben Nelson was
LOL at how Nelson's popularity plummeted after supporting the ACA.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 10:23:11 AM »

Yes, she might even be more vulnerable considering Cramer ain't that great of a candidate in the first place.

This. I'm not convinced that Stenejem or Schmidt aren't stronger candidates anyhow
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies