Louisiana "Blue Lives Matter" Law Makes Resisting Arrest a Hate Crime
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:15:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Louisiana "Blue Lives Matter" Law Makes Resisting Arrest a Hate Crime
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Louisiana "Blue Lives Matter" Law Makes Resisting Arrest a Hate Crime  (Read 1570 times)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2017, 11:24:28 PM »

I knew the refugee-baiter would be terrible but I hadn't thought he'd be quite this bad.

Of course, the real point of this law is to discredit all hate crime laws. The fact some of the objections liberal posters have raised sound eerily similar to the arguments rightists make about hate crime laws in general make me think it'll work.

JBE was trapped into signing this law is what you're basically saying?

No. He's representing a majority of his state, unfortunately.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2017, 11:25:14 PM »

Hopefully the disturbing JBE fetishism can end now. What a monster.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2017, 11:34:31 PM »

To clarify, I'm not saying that I definitely won't endorse Edwards again. But my feelings about him have gone from "automatic endorsement" to "let's think about this very carefully".
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2017, 11:42:45 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2017, 11:47:29 PM »

Let's not forget that the Republican state legislature passed this. People around here act like Governors are dictators and don't share responsibility with state houses.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2017, 11:48:21 PM »

Let's not forget that the Republican state legislature passed this. People around here act like Governors are dictators and don't share responsibility with state houses.

Yes, but Republicans are supposed to be terrible people, so this is unsurprising. The governor is there to prevent that from happening. He is the check.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2017, 11:54:36 PM »

Governors can veto.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2017, 12:00:21 AM »

Come on guys. What kind of politician did you think Edwards was? This doesn't seem unusual at all. Considering I've always made certain assumptions about him, I'm not surprised and I don't even really hold it against him, even if I think the law itself is absurd. He has to pander too - Louisiana-style.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2017, 12:15:38 AM »

Resisting arrest -- a hate crime?

Resisting a lawful arrest is already a crime even if the arrest is of someone acquitted in the crime that leads to the arrest.

I'm guessing that many people who resist arrest are either drunk, on drugs, or mentally impaired. I have always understood that hate crimes are deliberate acts.

Targeting police for assault just for being police --- OK. Go ahead and treat that as a hate crime if you wish. 
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2017, 12:16:31 AM »

Come on guys. What kind of politician did you think Edwards was? This doesn't seem unusual at all. Considering I've always made certain assumptions about him, I'm not surprised and I don't even really hold it against him, even if I think the law itself is absurd. He has to pander too - Louisiana-style.

Oh it would be political suicide for JBE to veto this. I don't blame him at all. But stuff like this is why he isn't a 2020 contender and likely never will be, at least on the top of the ticket.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2017, 12:24:58 AM »

What a great rationale. Let's apply this to other hate crime laws as a test. So if I punch a black guy, I guess that makes it a hate crime, regardless of intent.

Not even close in reality.

FWIW, the SCOTUS case finding hate crimes constitutional, Wisconsin v. Mitchell, involved a black guy in Kenosha who saw Mississippi Burning with some friends and, being pissed off at the violence towards blacks depicted, asked his friends if they wanted to "move on some white people", and wound up seriously beating some random kid who passed by.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2017, 01:16:21 AM »

I guess the fact that nowhere in the actual legislation did it state resisting arrest could constitute a hate crime or that this was the opinion of one sheriff doesn't matter when everyone can enter into hysterics of how awful and impure JBE is.

Yes, this law is crap, JBE shouldn't have signed it, the legislation should've been more specific, and this will likely be brought to court to resolve an inevitable conflict. But that doesn't warrant this histrionic overreaction.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2017, 01:29:48 AM »

I guess the fact that nowhere in the actual legislation did it state resisting arrest could constitute a hate crime or that this was the opinion of one sheriff doesn't matter when everyone can enter into hysterics of how awful and impure JBE is.

Yes, this law is crap, JBE shouldn't have signed it, the legislation should've been more specific, and this will likely be brought to court to resolve an inevitable conflict. But that doesn't warrant this histrionic overreaction.
Basically, there are a lot of liberal Dems here who have been waiting since JBE took office to out him as a huge conservative. The JBE wing will probably leave Atlas Forum or switch parties if something like this happens again.

Oh nooooooo
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2017, 02:04:16 AM »

Basically, there are a lot of liberal Dems here who have been waiting since JBE took office to out him as a huge conservative. The JBE wing will probably leave Atlas Forum or switch parties if something like this happens again.

Oh nooooooo

You don't have to be a dick. You know that, right?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2017, 02:17:57 AM »

Oh nooooooo

You don't have to be a dick. You know that, right?

Relax, I'm kidding. I'm not a purist, conservative Democrats have a necessary place in the party. But I really don't care who leaves the forum, especially for dumb reasons. 
AtorBoltox

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2017, 02:55:21 AM »

To clarify, I'm not saying that I definitely won't endorse Edwards again. But my feelings about him have gone from "automatic endorsement" to "let's think about this very carefully".
This endorsement stuff has to be a joke at this point
politics_king
United States

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2017, 05:24:41 AM »

That's pretty dumb. Most police officers overstep their boundaries or flat-out disrespectful dealing with normal citizens. If I told you some of the times I dealt with the police, I was doing something stupid but the extremes they went to is just as baffling.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2017, 05:27:55 AM »

This is retarded.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2017, 05:51:55 AM »