If trump decides to go after pharma prices, is that a good or bad political move
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:50:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If trump decides to go after pharma prices, is that a good or bad political move
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If trump decides to go after pharma prices, is that a good or bad political move  (Read 369 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2017, 10:42:22 PM »

It would garner much opposition from his own party and also will make him unpopular in some states that have lots of pharmaceutical industry.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 10:54:15 PM »

He said they were getting away with "murder" so let's see some action, Trump. Who cares if it's a good or bad political move....it's the right thing to do.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 11:00:34 PM »

He might have a fight in Congress but his supporters will be behind him regardless, and depending on how he implements it it might give him some actual support on the left.

It would be a good idea and very good policy, so I feel confident in saying that it won't happen. At best he'll give a speech at a rally and throw some line like "Folks, the drug prices, they are insane. They're insane. They need to be lower. I will make them lower. Believe me." and that'll be the end of it.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 11:41:25 PM »

There's good ways to go about lowering pharma prices and bad ways. The good ways require a sophisticated knowledge of the healthcare economy, and expert political maneuvering to get Congress, the public, and the pharmaceutical industry on board. The bad way would just be a bill saying "pharmaceutical companies, lower your prices or else!" Which sounds more like Trump?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 12:28:49 AM »

I can't see him doing it to much extent until the Hasert Rule and unrestrained fillabuster are done away with. Even if he could theoretically support and pass tough legislation with overwhelming Democratic support, unless a majority of the Republican caucuses support the measures it'll never get to the floor.

Besides, does anyone really believe President Trump cares remotely as much as candidate Trump about <snicker> limiting corporate gouging? That's his people!
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 12:33:59 AM »

It's the right move.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 06:13:12 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2017, 06:57:03 AM by politics_king »

I'm with you. My mom had a business partner who was involved with that, and got his pharmaceuticals from Canada? It was cheaper and business was good. But laws were put into place and the Feds raided his office. Why would we reject Canada's drugs? They're probably better than ours and I'm just stating what I think is a fact. Because you want it to stay in-house and prop-up an industry. Being Pragmatic on issues isn't a bad thing because you analyze the whole situation.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 06:38:29 AM »

I can't see him doing it to much extent until the Hasert Rule and unrestrained fillabuster are done away with. Even if he could theoretically support and pass tough legislation with overwhelming Democratic support, unless a majority of the Republican caucuses support the measures it'll never get to the floor.

Besides, does anyone really believe President Trump cares remotely as much as candidate Trump about <snicker> limiting corporate gouging? That's his people!

The pun helped me start my day!
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 09:41:37 AM »

Forget politics, it's good policy. The Presidrnt would have my support on such a move, and he has my support on little else. I'm skeptical anything would come of it, however
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 10:46:31 AM »

Forget politics, it's good policy. The Presidrnt would have my support on such a move, and he has my support on little else. I'm skeptical anything would come of it, however

If he follows through on all of his economic promises, this isn't the last time you'll hear this from the left. Wink
Vcrew192
Rookie
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 10:50:15 AM »

The "evil corporations" were also against backing out of the TPP and renegotiating NAFTA but that hasn't seemed to stop Trump. I think you're miscalculating his interests.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 11:10:01 AM »

The "evil corporations" were also against backing out of the TPP and renegotiating NAFTA but that hasn't seemed to stop Trump. I think you're miscalculating his interests.

I'm sure they'll be able to sleep at night with whatever free trade deal he supports instead.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 11:36:58 AM »

The real way to go after big pharma is to permit imports of cheaper drugs that do the job, and we know he's not going to permit that under his agenda.

So it's probably a good political move, because everyone thinks drugs are too expensive (and they are in many cases), but it's not going to net any measurable results.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies