Trump ends TPP deal. Sanders praises.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:13:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump ends TPP deal. Sanders praises.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump ends TPP deal. Sanders praises.  (Read 2064 times)
JJC

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2017, 11:32:02 PM »
« edited: January 24, 2017, 02:02:13 AM by JJC »

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/315655-sanders-ill-work-with-trump-on-trade
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I can't think of anything more likely to get bipartisan support than re-negotiating America's awful trade deals. Really good politics too. The Trump team made a good decision starting with trade first.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 11:33:26 PM »

China must be pleased indeed. 
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 11:39:04 PM »

Trump continues to do the bidding of our enemies.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 11:40:16 PM »

Sanders should ask why POTUS hasn't withdrawn from WTO or any other trade deals if he's serious about this issue.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 11:42:25 PM »

He, Hillary, and Bernie were all against it. I think even Ted Cruz was against it. Even if Obama had somehow won a third term, it wouldn't have gotten through Congress. So... this is the most unsurprising news ever.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 11:45:54 PM »

He, Hillary, and Bernie were all against it. I think even Ted Cruz was against it. Even if Obama had somehow won a third term, it wouldn't have gotten through Congress. So... this is the most unsurprising news ever.

Oh come on, Hillary called it the gold standard repeatedly.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 11:51:40 PM »

Sure, as a federal employee her job was to push the president's priorities. Once she had an independent platform, she came out against it. As I'm sure you know.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 12:03:40 AM »

Good Job!
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 12:06:53 AM »

I haven't cared about TPP in over a year, it was clearly never going to be a thing.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 12:10:10 AM »

Sure, as a federal employee her job was to push the president's priorities. Once she had an independent platform, she came out against it. As I'm sure you know.

Her 2014 "Hard Choices" book supports it. And she has a prior record of privately supporting trade deals she publicly opposes.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 12:11:02 AM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 12:13:39 AM »

Any chance he does the same with TTIP? I'd much prefer if TTIP failed because of European opposition, but that would require European leaders to have a spine.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 12:16:42 AM »

Hopefully Trump shows how dumb protectionism is.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 12:16:55 AM »

Her 2014 "Hard Choices" book supports it. And she has a prior record of privately supporting trade deals she publicly opposes.

She said she would reserve judgement in Hard Choices because the deal wasn't finalized. Regardless, she took a clear position against it and would have tanked it post-election.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 01:06:01 AM »

^ She came out against it just a week before the 1st dem debate (i.e. just before she would have to defend it). That timing just screams "I'm Scared to defend my beliefs!!!!!"
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 01:08:49 AM »

Excellent
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 01:13:17 AM »

I don't want to see an actively protectionist US, but the TPP was awful from start to its well-earned end.

And while I don't like Trump a bit, credit where credit is due: I'm damned glad to see this thing die, and I was not confident Clinton would have put a stake through its heart. (Now to see if Trump starts trying to raise it from the dead the same way I  expect she would have, and whether it looks any better. No secret negotiations would be a positive start.)
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 02:25:55 AM »

Nooooo!

Now i have to pay customs import duty on my vintage Fender purchases.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 02:30:40 AM »

Any chance he does the same with TTIP? I'd much prefer if TTIP failed because of European opposition, but that would require European leaders to have a spine.

Van der Bellen has said he won't sign TTIP.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 02:40:47 AM »

TISA is the worst of the 3.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 02:41:50 AM »

She said she would reserve judgement in Hard Choices because the deal wasn't finalized. Regardless, she took a clear position against it and would have tanked it post-election.

Like she took a clear position against the trade agreement with Panama and Columbia while working to secure its passage?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2017, 02:58:56 AM »

Like she took a clear position against the trade agreement with Panama and Columbia while working to secure its passage?

Hillary Clinton is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Move on dude.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2017, 05:21:33 AM »

I haven't cared about TPP in over a year, it was clearly never going to be a thing.

No they did. I think Hillary would've signed it into law eventually because she negotiated a "great deal'. She's a neo-liberal (neo-conservative but on the other side on social issues). I don't think TPP is the worst thing ever either, because having access to trade with Japan and Vietnam would help against China and their manipulation of the markets. Most economic experts see what China is doing, build to just build, be damned if people are there. Just look at "Ghost Cities" in China, it's a real thing. China created a bubble, once it pops and that may take a long time, it benefits us in the long run. But being a complete protectionist of our interests doesn't help because we haven't gotten ourselves out of the debt-hole we've created. Like any responsible person, if your debt is high, eventually we need to pay it off, the ones we can before we can't get massive debt resolved.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2017, 09:49:24 AM »

I don't want to see an actively protectionist US, but the TPP was awful from start to its well-earned end.

And while I don't like Trump a bit, credit where credit is due: I'm damned glad to see this thing die, and I was not confident Clinton would have put a stake through its heart. (Now to see if Trump starts trying to raise it from the dead the same way I  expect she would have, and whether it looks any better. No secret negotiations would be a positive start.)

My understanding is the Trump vision is multiple bilateral deals rather than a big regional accord. There'll still be FTAs just tailored country by country
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 10:14:20 AM »

TTP is a thing.....

china, australia, mexico are pushing.

US can do whatever they want. Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: