Trump ends TPP deal. Sanders praises.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:31:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump ends TPP deal. Sanders praises.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump ends TPP deal. Sanders praises.  (Read 2062 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 10:32:02 AM »

"Withdrawing from #TPP & moving to renegotiate #NAFTA are good 1st steps from @POTUS, but more must be done to keep his word to WI workers." - Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-WI)

"I support President Trump’s issuing of an executive orders that will pull the U.S. out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and his recent steps to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA),” Sen. Robert P. Casey Jr. (D-Pa.) said in a statement. “NAFTA has adversely impacted middle class families in Pennsylvania and the TPP would have cost jobs and hurt income growth, which is why I voted against fast tracking the deal in 2015." - Sen. Bob Casey (D-PA)

"Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) insisted in a statement that 'TPP was dead long before President Trump took office.'

'We await real action on trade,' he said."

Let's shatter the myth that A) Democrats are going to abandon the "Rust Belt" and eagerly become this Sun Belt party of affluent Whites who hate racism and minorities and B) that there is ANY apatite in the 2017 Democratic Party to push for free trade.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »

I haven't cared about TPP in over a year, it was clearly never going to be a thing.

Exacly correct.  They say it was Obama's signature deal........well then why didn't he send it to  Congress and try and bully it through? 

Trump's ending a deal that really never was a deal.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 10:35:09 AM »

Let's shatter the myth that A) Democrats are going to abandon the "Rust Belt" and eagerly become this Sun Belt party of affluent Whites who hate racism and minorities and B) that there is ANY apatite in the 2017 Democratic Party to push for free trade.
TPP and most modern "trade deals" have little to do with free trade itself.

The "Pivot to Asia" was completely ignored by China and was one of the most humiliating chapters of American history. Thank God it is over.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 10:36:15 AM »

Well I'm sure China will be celebrating this move
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 10:36:31 AM »

TPP and most modern "trade deals" have little to do with free trade itself.

That's fair enough, and a good discussion in and of itself, but people here are acting like Democrats are going to scoop up every single Republican who pouted over Trump, and that's simply not going to happen.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »

I think that this election shattered that myth. The attempts to scoop up Arizona, North Carolina, and Georgia failed miserably.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2017, 10:44:39 AM »

Well, yet another dictatorship got more powerful thanks to Trump, and it's still his first week in job.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2017, 10:45:26 AM »

He, Hillary, and Bernie were all against it. I think even Ted Cruz was against it. Even if Obama had somehow won a third term, it wouldn't have gotten through Congress. So... this is the most unsurprising news ever.

Oh come on, Hillary called it the gold standard repeatedly.

Sure, as a federal employee her job was to push the president's priorities. Once she had an independent platform, she came out against it. As I'm sure you know.

Her 2014 "Hard Choices" book supports it. And she has a prior record of privately supporting trade deals she publicly opposes.

She said she would reserve judgement in Hard Choices because the deal wasn't finalized. Regardless, she took a clear position against it and would have tanked it post-election.

Like she took a clear position against the trade agreement with Panama and Columbia while working to secure its passage?

As Secretary of State, Obama's employee. And those agreements were not nearly as high profile as TPP.
Vcrew192
Rookie
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »

Hopefully Trump shows how dumb protectionism is.

I don't want to see an actively protectionist US, but the TPP was awful from start to its well-earned end.

And while I don't like Trump a bit, credit where credit is due: I'm damned glad to see this thing die, and I was not confident Clinton would have put a stake through its heart. (Now to see if Trump starts trying to raise it from the dead the same way I  expect she would have, and whether it looks any better. No secret negotiations would be a positive start.)

My understanding is the Trump vision is multiple bilateral deals rather than a big regional accord. There'll still be FTAs just tailored country by country

"This executive action ushers in a new era of U.S. trade policy in which the Trump administration will pursue bilateral trade opportunities with allies around the globe. This is a strong signal that the Trump administration wants free and fair trade throughout the world....The beautiful thing about a bilateral agreement is that if any one of the true parties in the agreement decides at any time they want to get out of the agreement, or they're not being treated fairly, they can renegotiate much easier. In a multinational agreement, that's not the case. In many cases, all of the other countries have to agree to an action or to let somebody out. That's not putting the U.S. interest's first."- Sean Spicer @ 1/23 press briefing.

That appears to be the case. I think it's a smart move. Why put your own economic interest at the mercy of 11 smaller GDPs. It's smarter to enter bilateral FTAs with each country so you have ultimate veto power in each one.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2017, 11:42:37 AM »

I don't want to see an actively protectionist US, but the TPP was awful from start to its well-earned end.

And while I don't like Trump a bit, credit where credit is due: I'm damned glad to see this thing die, and I was not confident Clinton would have put a stake through its heart. (Now to see if Trump starts trying to raise it from the dead the same way I  expect she would have, and whether it looks any better. No secret negotiations would be a positive start.)

My understanding is the Trump vision is multiple bilateral deals rather than a big regional accord. There'll still be FTAs just tailored country by country

"This executive action ushers in a new era of U.S. trade policy in which the Trump administration will pursue bilateral trade opportunities with allies around the globe. This is a strong signal that the Trump administration wants free and fair trade throughout the world....The beautiful thing about a bilateral agreement is that if any one of the true parties in the agreement decides at any time they want to get out of the agreement, or they're not being treated fairly, they can renegotiate much easier. In a multinational agreement, that's not the case. In many cases, all of the other countries have to agree to an action or to let somebody out. That's not putting the U.S. interest's first."- Sean Spicer @ 1/23 press briefing.

That appears to be the case. I think it's a smart move. Why put your own economic interest at the mercy of 11 smaller GDPs. It's smarter to enter bilateral FTAs with each country so you have ultimate veto power in each one.

From an international perspective, it's good because you are in the good-graces of other countries. Vietnam is a "threat" to China, which is why they pushed hard against these deals and help us get fairer deals. They were bad deals though don't get me wrong, because it allowed Big Corporations to exploit poverty stricken workers and pull the rug under decent-paid American workers. How long until they try to rid the minimum wage to keep pace with the rest of the world? It's only going to hurt the American worker into accepting crappy waged jobs at the expense of fat-cats.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2017, 12:53:12 PM »

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2017, 01:01:31 PM »

Any praise of this administration for anything is treasonous. I would not even praise him if he were to give me personlly USD$1 trln. as a gift with no strings attached.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2017, 01:58:56 PM »

Any chance he does the same with TTIP? I'd much prefer if TTIP failed because of European opposition, but that would require European leaders to have a spine.

TISA is the worst of the 3.

Well, I'm a European, so I feel more personally concerned about TTIP.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »

I'm actually quite sad that TTIP won't carry on any longer

It'd have been a hell of a lot funnier had it been blocked by one of the Belgian regional or language parliaments (Belgium has seven parliaments for 11 million people and all of them not just the Federal one have rights to veto any trade agreement that Belgium is involved in: and since trade agreements that the EU want need to be approved by every country involved in it; you could have had the German-speakers Parliament or the Parliament for the Brussels Capital Region kill the thing).
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2017, 06:57:24 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies