Questions for Julián Castro
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:31:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Questions for Julián Castro
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Questions for Julián Castro  (Read 1927 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2017, 08:23:06 AM »

He's giving a speech at my university. Usually these things have a Q&A segment. Let me know if there's any questions y'all want asked (beyond the standard "are you running" stuff)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 08:40:46 AM »

How are you qualified to be on a national ticket?
politics_king
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 09:23:34 AM »

One of the Castro's should run against Ted Cruz, I'm dead serious. The backlash for Trump is going to be big and Ted Cruz is nothing but a chameleon in politics. One of the Castro's should win, considering one was Mayor in San Antonio with a huge military population and was likable.
SCNCmod

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 09:29:35 AM »

One of the Castro's should run against Ted Cruz, I'm dead serious. The backlash for Trump is going to be big and Ted Cruz is nothing but a chameleon in politics. One of the Castro's should win, considering one was Mayor in San Antonio with a huge military population and was likable.

I completely agree... Although I think Joaquin is the better choice since he's a congressman... (And he has expressed interest in running... where as Julian has said he isn't running for that Senate seat.. which of course could change)
SCNCmod

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:36:48 AM »
« Edited: January 24, 2017, 09:38:43 AM by SCNCmod »

He's giving a speech at my university. Usually these things have a Q&A segment. Let me know if there's any questions y'all want asked (beyond the standard "are you running" stuff)

If anyone asks... they should ask "Have you ruled out Running in 2020?"  ... a little easier to get a read on it vs "Are you running in 2020"!

I would be interested in if those in attendance are able to get a vague idea (based on his non-answers) of what his options are going forward... Is he really considering a run for Pres... or is he considering something more like Governor, Senator, VP, or potential Cabinet if a Dem wins in 2020, etc. (he doesn't seem to have a poker face... so his big grin will probably give a good idea of the answers)
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 10:05:21 AM »

I completely agree... Although I think Joaquin is the better choice since he's a congressman... (And he has expressed interest in running... where as Julian has said he isn't running for that Senate seat.. which of course could change)

I think Joaquin is good where he's at, cause he can make a difference in policy. Julian seems to have bought the hype he's meant for bigger things, which he could be but winning a Senate seat against Cruz can propel him his "National" profile dreams. Cruz is so ripe for the taking, it's too obvious.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 10:07:29 AM »

I think Joaquin is good where he's at, cause he can make a difference in policy. Julian seems to have bought the hype he's meant for bigger things, which he could be but winning a Senate seat against Cruz can propel him his "National" profile dreams. Cruz is so ripe for the taking, it's too obvious.
Dream on.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 10:12:32 AM »

Dream on.

It's not a dream, I was born in Houston and I can see people are sick of this dude, he was an obstructionist and wanted to burn every bridge he crossed. People won't forget, it just really depends on Trump's performance which is why Cruz and every other Republican has fallen in line. Trump can turn on them any minute and his supporters will follow. Trump if he ran as an Independent could've won this election I believe.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 10:38:22 AM »

How about this?: “If you’re not planning to run for president, then why did you meet with the Iowa delegation at the DNC last year?”  Tongue

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2016/07/27/booker-castro-test-out-applause-lines-iowa-dnc-delegation/87613130/
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 11:26:10 AM »

Why did you and your twin brother both enter politics?
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 11:34:18 AM »

"Do you believe the Democratic Party can, or should try to, win back Rust Belt voters? If not, should the Party focus in the Sun Belt instead?"
politics_king
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 11:44:26 AM »

"Do you believe the Democratic Party can, or should try to, win back Rust Belt voters? If not, should the Party focus in the Sun Belt instead?"

That's actually a good question how the demographics are changing. I don't think you can turn your back on rust-belt voters though because they are heavily union workers.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 01:14:18 PM »

What is your position on healthcare and criminal justice reform? *Just to get a hint in what he would run on*
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 01:45:24 PM »

I would be interested in if those in attendance are able to get a vague idea (based on his non-answers) of what his options are going forward... Is he really considering a run for Pres... or is he considering something more like Governor, Senator, VP, or potential Cabinet if a Dem wins in 2020, etc. (he doesn't seem to have a poker face... so his big grin will probably give a good idea of the answers)

According to this:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=233345.msg5415359#msg5415359

he seems to think his choices are either 1) run for POTUS or 2) run for county judge, and hold that job for a few terms before running for governor some time in the 2020s.

But yeah, as for Cruz's Senate seat, as noted elsewhere in the thread, it's Juaquin who appears to be eyeing that seat, not Julian.
SCNCmod

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 02:38:37 PM »

Why did you and your twin brother both enter politics?

This may've been a joke question... But I think it makes perfect sense that if one is interested in Public Office/ Politics/ Public Service ... it is natural that the other would as well- since they have almost the exact same life experience (from Childhood through Law School) which has influenced what path in life they want to take.

But more importantly (or influential).. is probably the Fact that they grew up with a Mother who was very politically active... which likely naturally peeked their interest.
Rjjr77
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 04:19:00 PM »

Did you ever have your brother pretend to be you so you could go on two dates on the same night a la sister sister
Kringla Heimsins
France

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 04:41:42 PM »

That's actually a good question how the demographics are changing. I don't think you can turn your back on rust-belt voters though because they are heavily union workers.

My personal opinion is that the Democratic Party can, and should, try to win back both white workers from the Rust Belt (most notably through reunionization, to give them back some bargaining power) and the rising demographics from the South West.

To do that, they may have to turn their back on the "rich liberals" from the coast (think Silicon Valley and the likes), but that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world... If anything, Trump showed that money and fundraising does not and never will win elections.

I'd like to hear Castro's thought on that. But he's a technocratic liberal, so I'm afraid he won't agree.
Rjjr77
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 05:55:12 PM »

My personal opinion is that the Democratic Party can, and should, try to win back both white workers from the Rust Belt (most notably through reunionization, to give them back some bargaining power) and the rising demographics from the South West.

To do that, they may have to turn their back on the "rich liberals" from the coast (think Silicon Valley and the likes), but that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world... If anything, Trump showed that money and fundraising does not and never will win elections.

I'd like to hear Castro's thought on that. But he's a technocratic liberal, so I'm afraid he won't agree.

I have to disagree, I don't think trump showed that money and fundraising does not win elections. It has less of an impact on presidential elections, but you cannot win elections without name ID and without money you have very very very limited options in creating name ID
Kylar
Rookie
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 01:21:40 AM »

Ask him what if his Roman Catholic faith means anything to him?
I vet out these possible candidates seriously on their faith side.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 01:26:55 AM »

Ask him if he and his brother are the Siamese Twins that his successor separated.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 01:28:10 AM »

Ask him what he learned as a mayor of of a large city in a red state that would benefit other Democrats who are trying to organize and make good policy at the local level.

Seconded.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 03:40:08 AM »

Ask him what he learned as a mayor of of a large city in a red state that would benefit other Democrats who are trying to organize and make good policy at the local level.

Good part: mayor of San Antonio is a part-time job, with city managed essentially handling most of the stuff. Would be interesting to point this out about his "executive experience".
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 07:25:31 AM »

Dream on.

It's not a dream, I was born in Houston and I can see people are sick of this dude, he was an obstructionist and wanted to burn every bridge he crossed. People won't forget, it just really depends on Trump's performance which is why Cruz and every other Republican has fallen in line. Trump can turn on them any minute and his supporters will follow. Trump if he ran as an Independent could've won this election I believe.
Cruz may be vulnerable in a primary, but not in a General Election.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2017, 01:51:01 PM »

*bump*

So what happened with this?  Did you ask him any questions?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies