Cenk Uygur launches new wing of the Democratic party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:44:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cenk Uygur launches new wing of the Democratic party
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Cenk Uygur launches new wing of the Democratic party  (Read 3559 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 05:27:53 PM »

One of Cenk Uygur's better ideas, but I don't really see this going anywhere.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 06:14:21 PM »

Already raised $190,000!
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 06:21:36 PM »

"Justice" Democrats he says? The fat ass denies the Armenian Genocide. GTFO of here with this garbage, Cenk.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 06:37:27 PM »

Well he's actually a far right right genocide denying piece of sh!t so f[inks] him.
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 06:37:47 PM »

"Justice" Democrats he says? The fat ass denies the Armenian Genocide. GTFO of here with this garbage, Cenk.

Garbage? That's rich coming from you.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 06:39:05 PM »

Well he's actually a far right right genocide denying piece of sh!t so f[inks] him.

LOL
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 06:47:19 PM »

LOL

Earning BRTD's disapproval makes you far-right, you see. I'm sure it's in the definition there. Wink
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »

4. The Sun Belt strategy won't work for the next 10 or 20 years, until Demographics fully catch up. Even then, the Democrats are going to have trouble because a lot of the new Sunbelt voters will be pretty affluent, so they'll have to change up some of their talking points in the region anyway.

trump isn't exactly great for republican margins in the sunbelt. An unpopular trump could destroy the R advantage.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, f**k you too. The working class did vote D in this election, because, shock and awe, not all poor people are white. The WWC (which seems to be what working class means anymore) has been trending republican for a long time now, as the country becomes more diverse.
This is such a misunderstanding of what the problem was in this election that it's hilarious. Hey Scarlet, he did better than expected in Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico, buddy. And it didn't affect the results at all. We have an electoral college, and unless Texas swings, which we all know is still unlikely, your strategy will add....

0 Electoral Votes

For the Democrats. Nice plan, kid. Ice up.

To win elections in the US, you need a significant chunk of the white vote. That continues to be the case today. The working class is the only segment of the white vote, other than in a few states, that has lined up behind Democrats in the past. I don't see which states you hope to win with a minorities only strategy. California+Hawaii+New Mexico is not enough.

Collage educated whites are a clear part of such a coalition. College educated people are trending D, while those without a degree are trending R. Democrats don't need the very particular(culturally) part of the mdwestern white that used to be democratic anymore, because that kind of voter is going to the GOP, and is being replaced by a different kind of white alienated by GOP extremism.

Also how dumb do you have to be to think that I argued for a minorities only strategy? I said nothing even remotely implying that.
First of all, Jerry Arkansas was the one that said they should appeal only to minorities, not me.

Also, college educated whites are not going to be a stable part of our coalition. The second another Romney type comes around, they are going back. That's the entire problem with your strategy. The Democratic based in the past 70 years has always been people who need to vote Democratic to survive. They knew that their very existence was threatened by the economic policies of the Republicans.

Listen, unless Trump completely collapses, these college voters that you adore are going to swing back to him. There ain't even a question. No way they vote against an incumbent Republican, even if it is Trump. That's what privilege is in this country. The privilege to be a swing voter.

The trend of college educated people to the democratic party was happening before trump. He just sped it up.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 07:55:22 PM »

College educated whites will always be Republican at heart - even if it's not in the voter booth. We shouldn't want them in our party. They have destroyed the core and brought us senseless policies that only benefit them. America is now stuck with two right wing parties because of this stupid strategy.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2017, 08:47:55 PM »

4. The Sun Belt strategy won't work for the next 10 or 20 years, until Demographics fully catch up. Even then, the Democrats are going to have trouble because a lot of the new Sunbelt voters will be pretty affluent, so they'll have to change up some of their talking points in the region anyway.

trump isn't exactly great for republican margins in the sunbelt. An unpopular trump could destroy the R advantage.

Well, f**k you too. The working class did vote D in this election, because, shock and awe, not all poor people are white. The WWC (which seems to be what working class means anymore) has been trending republican for a long time now, as the country becomes more diverse.
This is such a misunderstanding of what the problem was in this election that it's hilarious. Hey Scarlet, he did better than expected in Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico, buddy. And it didn't affect the results at all. We have an electoral college, and unless Texas swings, which we all know is still unlikely, your strategy will add....

0 Electoral Votes

To win elections in the US, you need a significant chunk of the white vote. That continues to be the case today. The working class is the only segment of the white vote, other than in a few states, that has lined up behind Democrats in the past. I don't see which states you hope to win with a minorities only strategy. California+Hawaii+New Mexico is not enough.

Collage educated whites are a clear part of such a coalition. College educated people are trending D, while those without a degree are trending R. Democrats don't need the very particular(culturally) part of the mdwestern white that used to be democratic anymore, because that kind of voter is going to the GOP, and is being replaced by a different kind of white alienated by GOP extremism.

Also how dumb do you have to be to think that I argued for a minorities only strategy? I said nothing even remotely implying that.
First of all, Jerry Arkansas was the one that said they should appeal only to minorities, not me.

Also, college educated whites are not going to be a stable part of our coalition. The second another Romney type comes around, they are going back. That's the entire problem with your strategy. The Democratic based in the past 70 years has always been people who need to vote Democratic to survive. They knew that their very existence was threatened by the economic policies of the Republicans.

Listen, unless Trump completely collapses, these college voters that you adore are going to swing back to him. There ain't even a question. No way they vote against an incumbent Republican, even if it is Trump. That's what privilege is in this country. The privilege to be a swing voter.

The trend of college educated people to the democratic party was happening before trump. He just sped it up.
That's patently untrue. In 2008, Obama won college graduates by 2 points, and in 2012 he lost them by 4. In 2016 Clinton won them by 4. There is no trend. These people change their vote every election, unlike almost any other group in the country. Even that can be explained by swing voters, the fact that more minorities are graduating college than ever before, and the fact that they are becoming a larger percent of the college graduate population. This is not a strategy that is going to work for the Democrats.

Let me prove how dumb this argument is. By your logic, the South was "trending" Democrat in the 1990s. Now, we all know that's not true. Clinton was from the South, and was an exceptionally good candidate for the region, especially compared to HW Bush. That's the same thing that's happening now. Romney was a decent candidate for college graduates, and Trump was a very bad one. Still, look at the exit polls. Those voters are, number one, a small part of the country overall, number two, barely switching every election, and number 3, switching not based on party but based on candidate. THIS IS A HORRIBLE GROUP TO PIN YOUR HOPES ON. It guarantees you'll lose about half of the time, even if you do a lot of lip service to them.

This myth of White college graduates trending Democrat was created by liberal intellectuals who wanted the Democratic Party to have an air of superiority over the "dumb" Republicans. Also, I hope you realize that a candidate like Obama is not going to come around and lift the tide for the party again for a while. We're going to be seeing some pretty boring Democrats in 2020, and that's to be expected. Even Hillary had some charisma, but people like Booker and Heinrich appeal to almost no one. That doesn't even include the fact that Trump, unless he completely collapses, will have a significant incumbent advantage. College graduates especially would have no reason to swing Democratic again. In fact, I bet you they'll vote more Republican in 4 years if there isn't a major calamity in the country.

http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/a-deep-dive-into-party-affiliation/

Sorry, but this is happening.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 09:03:08 PM »

To lose the votes for the WWC (or the working poor), is a sign that a leftist party shouldn't exist, but sit in your smug elitist bubble. There is no reason, that counties and people that voted for . The WWC who voted for FDR, Stevenson, Kennedy, Johnson (at the highest numbers of any areas), Humphrey, many WWC that voted for McGovern, voted for Carter at highest levels, and voted for him again in 1980. The WWC, that though Reagan won, Mondale's vote was much higher amongst them (and won 70% in many areas!), than among the white middle class with their college degrees, which bough up the welfare king, and feared the blacks in suburbia, and cast their votes in swaths  . The WWC, that voted for Dukakis, while the white middle class in suburbia, feared the blacks and voted for Bush. The WWC, that strongly voted for Clinton both times, while his economic centrism was needed to get the white middle class onboard. The WWC, that voted for Gore, Kerry and Obama both times at higher rate than the white middle class. The WWC, which provided an outright majority in voting for Obama!, while the white middle class, were still in Mccain's Camp. There is no reason to why the democrats can't win these voters, there is no reason to why the WWC, which voted alongside blacks and hispanics for the democrats, while the white middle class (with their college-educated degrees) were fearful of lower prices and blacks, on their suburban houses with the poor impending on their suburban dream  voted strongly for the republicans.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2017, 09:27:49 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cenk-uygur/ahmadinejad-the-new-booge_b_65735.html

Lest we forget
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2017, 09:47:22 PM »

If you're Cenk Uygur of the Young Turks and you need to name a faction in a political party...

How do you not go with "Committee for Unity and Progress?"

It even sounds like something that Democrats would go for.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2017, 10:25:02 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2017, 10:27:14 PM by Voter #652 »

Garbage? That's rich coming from you.

LOL. Do you actually like this genocide-denier who named his show after a murderous fascist regime piece of human trash?

LOL

Earning BRTD's disapproval makes you far-right, you see. I'm sure it's in the definition there. Wink

No, being a genocide-denying nationalist who names your show after a fascist, genocidal regime makes you far right.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2017, 12:52:33 PM »

BRTD, so you're saying Cenk Uygur is a far-right progressive nationalist?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2017, 01:24:23 PM »

LOL

No, being a genocide-denying nationalist who names your show after a fascist, genocidal regime makes you far right.

As I understand it, he has since recanted on denying genocide. The name is unfortunate, but it carries brand recognition now. It's not convenient and would most likely hurt their reach to change it at this juncture.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2017, 02:46:24 PM »

0 Electoral Votes

That's patently untrue. In 2008, Obama won college graduates by 2 points, and in 2012 he lost them by 4. In 2016 Clinton won them by 4. There is no trend. These people change their vote every election, unlike almost any other group in the country. Even that can be explained by swing voters, the fact that more minorities are graduating college than ever before, and the fact that they are becoming a larger percent of the college graduate population. This is not a strategy that is going to work for the Democrats.

Let me prove how dumb this argument is. By your logic, the South was "trending" Democrat in the 1990s. Now, we all know that's not true. Clinton was from the South, and was an exceptionally good candidate for the region, especially compared to HW Bush. That's the same thing that's happening now. Romney was a decent candidate for college graduates, and Trump was a very bad one. Still, look at the exit polls. Those voters are, number one, a small part of the country overall, number two, barely switching every election, and number 3, switching not based on party but based on candidate. THIS IS A HORRIBLE GROUP TO PIN YOUR HOPES ON. It guarantees you'll lose about half of the time, even if you do a lot of lip service to them.

This myth of White college graduates trending Democrat was created by liberal intellectuals who wanted the Democratic Party to have an air of superiority over the "dumb" Republicans. Also, I hope you realize that a candidate like Obama is not going to come around and lift the tide for the party again for a while. We're going to be seeing some pretty boring Democrats in 2020, and that's to be expected. Even Hillary had some charisma, but people like Booker and Heinrich appeal to almost no one. That doesn't even include the fact that Trump, unless he completely collapses, will have a significant incumbent advantage. College graduates especially would have no reason to swing Democratic again. In fact, I bet you they'll vote more Republican in 4 years if there isn't a major calamity in the country.

http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/a-deep-dive-into-party-affiliation/

Sorry, but this is happening.

If the Democratic Party's strategy is to win elections by giving up on working class voters, and only appealing to white college graduates, they aren't going to be winning the 2020 race. This is the time for a Progressive, populist movement to come up, and reject Third Way economic policy. White college graduates are swing voters, as I cited from the exit polls. I agree with the poster above me on the suburban voter issue.

College educated people were a swing group with two republicans who were designed to appeal to them (their trend right  in 2012 is more due to Romney being practically designed to underperform among the WWC("I like to fire people") which drove WWC voters more left then normal.) trump screwing everything up after having to actually govern would be the perfect chance to snatch  a large chunk of college educated moderates away.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies