The Crusader (An Interview with Scott) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:14:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Crusader (An Interview with Scott) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Crusader (An Interview with Scott)  (Read 17392 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: February 06, 2017, 05:34:13 AM »

Healthcare is too complex an issue to rush through.

Even in 2014 where urgency was needed to achieve passage, we still had a discussion that involved members of 3 parties and achieved the votes of Senators from four different parties on the final product. While there never the necessary engagement regionally to follow through on the opportunity for regional activity, the system we created had a backup for that based on the way it was designed (default federal public option). Later, several regions did finally open up their exchanges to alternative choices.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 12:36:22 AM »

Perhaps because there is no counter advocacy. Tongue

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 02:29:19 AM »

I always, come back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=087mi1e46us
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 07:14:12 PM »

Look, I cannot stress enough how much of an expert Lumine is on Foreign policy matters. But I must say, just as I did with Truman, it is easy to consider the deals in isolation as horrible and compare to previous arrangements and situations where Foreign Policy went down.

However, those situation either almost universally occurred with inactive GMs or as part of the self aggrandizing fan-fiction generated by the Secretary of External Affairs (state now), that Oakvale so wisely condemns (even if it is completely irrelevant to the cabinet of today and hasn't been part of the game for almost two years).

The situation know is one of an active, aggressive and bold Game Moderator who presents rather difficult scenarios with reactions that aren't 100% in line with what you would normally expect a China or a Russia to go with, and that is a great thing for the Game. But it makes the position of the President insanely more difficult. You know have to make choices between horrible deals and World War III and frankly that is probably more realistic than the alternative. 

The days of the SoS or President driving Foreign Policy against a yielding backdrop and the official always going home with a shining trophy for their amazing diplomatic feats are over.

Foreign policy is now scene where you have to make impossible choices, and eat the consequences for the less bad option. And as for the plot, the plot is created by the Game Moderator. And you can either let it shoot you through the heart, or beat you too a pulp, and ignoring it and pretending it will go away, is no longer an option.

This is the Foreign Policy simulation we have all desired, talked about, dreamed about for years. Well, we got it! Comparisons to the prior dynamics are frankly out of touch with the new reality because foreign policy simulation has changed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 08:07:55 PM »

The situation know is one of an active, aggressive and bold Game Moderator who presents rather difficult scenarios with reactions that aren't 100% in line with what you would normally expect a China or a Russia to go with, and that is a great thing for the Game. But it makes the position of the President insanely more difficult. You know have to make choices between horrible deals and World War III and frankly that is probably more realistic than the alternative. 
I'll let Lumine speak for himself, but c'mon Yankee — I was Secretary of State when Kalwejt was GM. Surely if any Game Moderator may be described as "active, aggressive, and bold," it is him. My State Department had to cope with revolutions, coups, counter-coups, hostage crises and the like in countries I had never heard of and knew nothing about because he was literally making them up on the fly. All of this was after the reset; we're not talking about ancient history here. I know Lumine (who also had Kalwejt as a GM during the latter part of his term) was forced to confront a Middle East somehow even more factitious and violent than real life. Neither of us played the "shining trophy" game you're describing; and yet, we also somehow managed to avoid World War III without first launching a preemptive strike against North Korea.

I have nothing but respect for the alacrity with which the current president moved to address the present crisis, and I won't comment on negotiations to which I was not party. But the fact of the matter is that the North Korean story has been developing for months now, and there was plenty of time to respond in the early stages when we had more leverage and a better deal would have been possible. This isn't about a single president or congressman or GM dropping the ball; this is about a long series of officeholders who could have made decisions to arrest the situation in its cradle, but didn't. Why was the NSC abolished, in the process removing many active and experienced diplomats from the foreign policy process? Why did Goldwater order a first strike on the North, apparently against the advice of his cabinet? I don't know the answers to these questions, because no-one will tell me, despite repeated requests on my part for information and frequent offers to help in any way I could.

Nobody is saying that the president is to blame for all of this, or that she should have solved the problem overnight. That would be ridiculous. But it's quite reasonable to question how we got here, and whether this crisis was inevitable. I don't think it was.

The fact of the matter is that DFW and Goldwater are not President now. I would love know why Goldwater did that as well, but to criticize and blame Fhtagn for that isn't fair either. None of us, would have made that decision obviously.

I was merely responding to the criticism of the Deals in relation to Fhtagn's actions since she became President, which I think is rather unfair considering the situation that was dumped on her lap and the need to respond accordingly, and considering the circumstances, has handled them well.

As for Kalwejt, he was erratic as GM the first time, AZ is less so. The pressure is thus more so because Kalwejt often times went over the top and frankly led to people ignoring the Game Moderator, most notably the nuclear attacks. I am not saying you did not face tough decisions SoS or didn't face a tough Game Modeator, I am saying you didn't inherit a situation like Fhtagn did nor face Game Moderator AZ, which is different.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:15:07 PM »

In short: It's awesome that there's a complex foreign policy situation coming from the Game Engine, but I absolutely question the judgement displayed by at least the last two administrations on the matter.

And you are free to judge President Dfw for abolishing the NSC and Goldwater for blowing up the world on his way out. President Fhtagn is not DFW and is not Goldwater. Fhtagn has the equivalent an NSC that has met several times and everyone I speak too has roundly criticized that first strike including the President. But there is only one administration in this country at a time and that is the Administration that is going to be on the ballot, not ones that no longer exist. To imply otherwise is a gross misinterpretation of the constitution. 

You can vote against her for what Dfw and Goldwater did, all you want, or you can judge her based on making the touch decisions that she has made against a backdrop of a situation she has inherited.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 11:41:36 PM »

The only thing compromised in this whole process is Oakfail's connection to the planes of reality, which he slipped away from a long time ago. In its place is a world of lies, alt facts and false narratives where I am a villain, new people are stupid and lame and this game will never work unless he and his crew get their way.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 12:34:57 PM »

We in The Crusader will keep our thoughts on the matter private for now, but we wonder just why the Federalist Party won’t keep its act together.

The Crusader: we'll keep our opinion secret

Also The Crusader: *immediately shares opinion*

lol, I just noticed that!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »

Federalist Primary, General Public:

Which ticket would you prefer to lead the Federalist Party?

fhtagn / PiT: 50%
Oakvale / Potus: 45%
Undecided: 5%

An interesting poll with a sizable sample of 40 Atlasians, showing quite a competitive judgement of both tickets among the General Public despite the commanding lead currently on the hands of the President at the Federalist Primary itself. It would seem to suggest the Oakvale / Potus ticket is more popular among the general public (and possibly swing voters) than inside the Federalist Party itself, but then again, we fully recognize this is not the most serious of polls and we ask not to read much into it (hint: you know what we mean by that).

Warns not to "read too much into", after "reading too much into it". Pulling the same joke twice I see. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 05:13:16 PM »

Going for the kill:
Exclusive images of Speaker Yankee preparing a striking posting barrage last night

Or you could just watch Hellsing Ultimate Abridged episode 3 from like 10:25 onwards.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 05:22:11 PM »

All I did "was go for a walk"
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 06:09:38 PM »

The full phrase is actually "Very enthusiastic walk", and has no connection with the Canadian phrase of which you speak.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 06:36:11 PM »

I will only believe you if Pierre Trudeau's ghost does an AMA on the forum. Tongue

Well at least that false narrative has some creativity to it. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 12:46:58 AM »

Actually the modern poling techniques used by both Wells and AZ captured roughly the same level of support for Fhtagn as the final result. At least one of them had a sample size roughly similar to the turnout.

I don't want to re litigate the past, but I think a critical error was made in trying to defined this primary based on establishment versus anti-establishment and cash in on some kind of simmering "anti-leadership" resentment that isn't there. The last time Wells did a comprehensive poll, I had 95% approval among Federalists for my work in Congress, and similar overall numbers on favorables if memory serves me.

I feel for Simfan I really do, I have been caught between two people that don't get along before (Duke-Jbrase and Duke - Dallasfan and for a long time Duke-Tmth). It is not fun, I wish to apologize for making things difficult for him and I meant what I said when I appreciated his comments calling for calm and careful analysis.

As Party Chairman, people like to see me as this passive bystander who rarely engages, is out of the loop and often lets things slide. The truth of the matters is that I care a lot, I remember my inability to defend Lumine from Adam and Windjammer back in 2014. Perhaps I got a little zealous in the other direction the other night, but I am going to defend Federalists from false attacks and false narratives. It wasn't right for Lumine to take that kind of in coming back then and it is just as not right for Fhtagn to take that either, and some of which is just plain nasty and terrible, This time I intend to try and defend Federalists from such attacks.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 01:47:35 AM »

A New Party System?
Peace Party, Citizens on the rise as their membership grows

Several new parties emerge

In the aftermath of the October Presidential Election and with the rise of the Federalist Party as the leading political force in the nation, several new parties have either been created or seen a considerable surge in membership, including the Peace Party, Citizens and the Atlasian Revolutionary Workers’ Party to name a few. Citing frustration with the current political system in Atlasia from different angles (a communitarian, pacifist view for the Peace Party, a centrist reform one for Citizens and an anti-electoral one for the ARWP) these parties have been successful in brining old and new Atlasians to change their support to these new forces, in the hopes that the current two-party system (or as some say, one and a half party system) will be forced to change.

The impact in electoral and governing politics is expected to be felt soon, as Citizens has its first Senator (Spiral) and the Peace Party can boast a Senator (Siren), a Representative (Peebs) and regional officeholders. With these new developments the balance of power in the Senate will now depend both on the new parties and independent officeholders, creating an interesting dynamic compared to an incoming Federalist majority in the House of Representatives. As to whether these new parties can gain strength and capitalize on current discontent only time can tell, but The Crusader hopes that the political landslide will indeed shift in a considerable manner and wishes the best of luck and success to groups like the Peace Party and Citizens.

In journalism, that's called a COI, or conflict of interest. Wink

I miss journalism in this game that is both serious and unbiased. Historically whenever we have had press, we have always had at least once such operation.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 02:41:57 AM »

Interesting to note there didn't seem to be a problem when our criticisms were directed elsewhere.

Actually there was Lumine. I have made some form of that same post multiple times over the past year. And several times in past years whenever the press has died or when it was just Well's tabloid.

I could dig them all up, but I don't care. Too busy and tired from working on the budget that everyone else just kept putting off:  https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=273425.msg5881828#msg5881828
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 02:20:37 AM »

Look I am not going to get in the business of judging the merits of claims by anonymous sources.

But the main issue I have with the second "source" is this notion of the "establishment being manipulated". The Federalist Party for one doesn't have a stagnant group at the top. It is open operation largely, because I function best as someone who gathers a team of people together and I value their contributions equally. However results are often based on the level of effort and often times DFW just outworks everyone else. But that group has changed markedly and rather quickly. I find it more than likely that some of the very sources you cited are not only among this group currently, but very influential and perhaps more powerful than they reckon themselves to be. And if they are not, they could easily become a part of that team if they so desire it. My door is always open.

While I cannot speak on him forcing someone in or out of a race. Many people in the Federalist Party have encouraged our members to run for various offices. We have done a great job pushing new talent to the top, including I would point out Both DFW and Fhtagn, who were only in this game about 8 months when they became President and Leinad before them who was in this game exactly 12 months when he became President.

This is a democracy though and there are lot of races that are just not going to go our way. I am saddened that someone feels they were led to the slaughter in an election. It is our job to field candidates to give people an alternative and advance our agenda of strong regions, and empowering the main street economy, not the DC-Wall Street Cartel. And at the same time we are trying to get a chance for our rising stars to rise up and be the next Leinad/DFW/Fhtagn who can run for and win the Presidency. If someone feels that not enough effort was devoted on the part of the Party to their election effort than that is something we need to address, but some races are just uphill climbs regardless of effort.

Finally, and on that note of advancing people, we reached out to several people about Southern Governor before DFW made the move South.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 05:08:44 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2017, 05:17:27 PM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

National News:
October 29th:

Is Atlasian credit about to be downgraded?

Budget Woes: With a deadline of October 31st almost upon us and despite having existed for over a month, it appears the Budget Process Committee is not yet ready to present a final report despite having already missed its original deadline of 30 days as stated by the Budget Process & Control Act. Even more concerning, only two days remain until S&P downgrades Atlasian credit from "AAA" to "AA" in an act that could cause significant economic damage to our Republic. Only two days remain for that deadline, and despite the brave efforts of Speaker Yankee to put together a more complete version it seems clear the October 31st version won't be met as their final report requires majority support in the Committee.

The Crusader, while understanding of the fact officeholders may be busy or facing other dilemmas, feels forced to condemn the lack of a stronger effort to get the budget done before further economic chaos is inflicted on Atlasia. Having said that, we also recognize the work placed on the issue by Speaker Yankee, and we express our hope a budget can at least be completed before our credit is downgraded yet again to "A" on December 31st.

95% of what is left to be done is the estimates that have to be provided by the Game Moderator for the revenues, which have been sitting since October 14th. Also I believe AZ said that he pushed the deadline back to November 11th.

While I would have preferred a greater level of involvement from the committee as a whole, the notion that the hold up is on our end is flat wrong. Once we fill in the remaining gaps on the spending portion, our portion will be 100% done and the hold up will be entirely one of getting the Revenue estimates from the Game Moderation Team.

Part of the problem is that the Game Moderators in the past have used an activity factor to determine unemployment numbers, but this has created a substantial disconnect between the GDP numbers as posted and the unemployment rate as posted. So it is difficult to calculate revenues and even some expenses, when GDP would dictate basically 2016 RL revenue levels, and unemployment would probably dictate 2014 RL revenues or 2013 numbers. So I cannot calculate them myself, the Game Moderation Team has to decide how to calculate the numbers and whether or not to make changes to either the GDP or Unemployment calculations as well.

Without the activity factor, unemployment would be 5.5% or in that ball park, instead of the recessionary levels over 7% that the GM team has been using basically for the past year over the course of several Game Moderators.

I am encouraged to see AZ taking the lead to reform the way things operated with past GMs, and this is something that needs to be established firmly before we get further away from the reset, but that being said, you cannot punish the players with a deadline set by the GM when the Game Moderation Team has to rework the rules.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 05:35:54 PM »

National News:
October 29th:

Is Atlasian credit about to be downgraded?

Budget Woes: With a deadline of October 31st almost upon us and despite having existed for over a month, it appears the Budget Process Committee is not yet ready to present a final report despite having already missed its original deadline of 30 days as stated by the Budget Process & Control Act. Even more concerning, only two days remain until S&P downgrades Atlasian credit from "AAA" to "AA" in an act that could cause significant economic damage to our Republic. Only two days remain for that deadline, and despite the brave efforts of Speaker Yankee to put together a more complete version it seems clear the October 31st version won't be met as their final report requires majority support in the Committee.

The Crusader, while understanding of the fact officeholders may be busy or facing other dilemmas, feels forced to condemn the lack of a stronger effort to get the budget done before further economic chaos is inflicted on Atlasia. Having said that, we also recognize the work placed on the issue by Speaker Yankee, and we express our hope a budget can at least be completed before our credit is downgraded yet again to "A" on December 31st.

95% of what is left to be done is the estimates that have to be provided by the Game Moderator for the revenues, which have been sitting since October 14th. Also I believe AZ said that he pushed the deadline back to November 11th.

While I would have preferred a greater level of involvement from the committee as a whole, the notion that the hold up is on our end is flat wrong. Once we fill in the remaining gaps on the spending portion, our portion will be 100% done and the hold up will be entirely one of getting the Revenue estimates from the Game Moderation Team.

Part of the problem is that the Game Moderators in the past have used an activity factor to determine unemployment numbers, but this has created a substantial disconnect between the GDP numbers as posted and the unemployment rate as posted. So it is difficult to calculate revenues and even some expenses, when GDP would dictate basically 2016 RL revenue levels, and unemployment would probably dictate 2014 RL revenues or 2013 numbers. So I cannot calculate them myself, the Game Moderation Team has to decide how to calculate the numbers and whether or not to make changes to either the GDP or Unemployment calculations as well.

Without the activity factor, unemployment would be 5.5% or in that ball park, instead of the recessionary levels over 7% that the GM team has been using basically for the past year over the course of several Game Moderators.

I am encouraged to see AZ taking the lead to reform the way things operated with past GMs, and this is something that needs to be established firmly before we get further away from the reset, but that being said, you cannot punish the players with a deadline set by the GM when the Game Moderation Team has to rework the rules.
It was pushed back to November 10th.
As for revenue estimates encke is currently working on that and should complete that task soon.

I would point that we are going to need time to get this passed in Both Houses. So I would advise that I need these estimates very soon.

As for the final product, we are not proposing any changes to anything, this budget will merely be a reflection of currently exists based on RL+Post Reset law. Once it is passed, we can then spend all the time we want debating changes, so I expect quick passage.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 01:06:04 AM »

Agree fully with the President’s assessment of Labor, although the unfortunate reality is that there aren’t always going to be people around who have the ability and/or time to run a political party

Well not if you don't go out, find them and mentor/develop them while giving them the space to grow and thrive. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 09:18:27 PM »

We need dirty laundry!!!!

- Don Henley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 12:50:31 PM »

Wow, you guys never covered PUP but you covered Reform. SMH Sad

Considering how satire and scandals is what I love to cover the most (along with the odd interview), consider it a compliment!

Thank you!

Seeing Windjammer and Lumine praising each other "in this game",  just warms my heart. Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 02:40:14 AM »

Wow, you guys never covered PUP but you covered Reform. SMH Sad

Considering how satire and scandals is what I love to cover the most (along with the odd interview), consider it a compliment!

Thank you!

Seeing Windjammer and Lumine praising each other "in this game",  just warms my heart. Smiley
Well,
I must say that if you would have told me 4 years ago I would tell Lumine something like that, I wouldn't believe you!

Amazing the way things have changed. You two should get together and make games where you continue to intrigue against each other, but set in European History.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2018, 11:51:24 PM »

One quick note about denials, most candidates typically aren't running until they are.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies