Trump threatens to "send in feds" to Chicago
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:58:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump threatens to "send in feds" to Chicago
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Trump threatens to "send in feds" to Chicago  (Read 8820 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2017, 10:37:55 AM »

Who exactly are these feds? US Army? Nationalize the ILNG?
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »

Who exactly are these feds? US Army? Nationalize the ILNG?
Probably starting with the ILNG via executive action and then the army once he has strongarmed congress.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2017, 11:05:30 AM »

Reading the responses on here by Trump supporters, all i can conclude is they are full on gunning for some sort of race war

It's like reading posts out of Stormfront

Yes, of course. They want blood. They want murder: as long as they are on the side of the murderers.

Anybody, who does not openly disassociate him- or herself from that monster gang will be badly tainted for the rest of their lives. I am calling on the decent Republicans (and there are, still, some around here): get out, while it is not, yet, too late! Get out, before you become enmeshed into whatever horrors these people will do!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2017, 12:00:16 PM »

That's an insane thing to say, not to undermine the absolute shltshow Chicago has become crime-wise. Sad
I agree.  If you had agreed with Trump (I know you're not likely to do that) I was gonna have to call you a "glorified Iowan".  Shocked

Well, I live in Iowa. Smiley  (On a side note, it is HILARIOUS to see the change in tone regarding Iowa with some red avatars on this site ... in 2012, it was an educated, enlightened state of White liberals that wouldn't succumb to the DUMBNESS of the GOP, and now it is this northern extension of Missouri and a wasteland of *WORKING CLASS WHITES,* which is hilarious given the huge percent of people with a college education here.)

Anywho, RE: ag, I have never bought into that bullshlt.  There are tens of millions of people in the Republican Party.  I do not believe JFK was complicit in the racism of the Southern Democrats, for example, because he largely stood up to them.  Similarly, a Republican who is a Republican for any number of reasons but still stands up to the elements of his or her party that he finds repulsive - ya know, actually doing something to try to undermine their influence in the party - is not "guilty" of anything.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2017, 12:11:29 PM »

That's an insane thing to say, not to undermine the absolute shltshow Chicago has become crime-wise. Sad
I agree.  If you had agreed with Trump (I know you're not likely to do that) I was gonna have to call you a "glorified Iowan".  Shocked

Well, I live in Iowa. Smiley  (On a side note, it is HILARIOUS to see the change in tone regarding Iowa with some red avatars on this site ... in 2012, it was an educated, enlightened state of White liberals that wouldn't succumb to the DUMBNESS of the GOP, and now it is this northern extension of Missouri and a wasteland of *WORKING CLASS WHITES,* which is hilarious given the huge percent of people with a college education here.)

Anywho, RE: ag, I have never bought into that bullshlt.  There are tens of millions of people in the Republican Party.  I do not believe JFK was complicit in the racism of the Southern Democrats, for example, because he largely stood up to them.  Similarly, a Republican who is a Republican for any number of reasons but still stands up to the elements of his or her party that he finds repulsive - ya know, actually doing something to try to undermine their influence in the party - is not "guilty" of anything.

JFK was the leader of his party. Dems never nominated a proper southerner, and, starting in 1928 the party as a whole turned decisively in the right direction here: the southern wing was impotent outside the Senate.

The leader of the party you still adhere to is Donald Trump.

Party affiliation is not something you have to keep for life. There is no virtue in party loyalty that puts a party ahead of the country and the world. When and if the sane people recover the leadership of the GOP, you will have every right and reason to go back. But today being a Republican is not a defensible proposition for a decent person. Get out, while it is not too late.

Chirchill changed parties twice. He was no lesser man for that.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2017, 12:53:33 PM »

I'm scared to think about what a race war would even look like.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2017, 01:15:59 PM »

These past five days have been horrific. Are we past the point where we still need to give this schmuck a chance yet? He's already way out of control, and it's clear that Republicans in Congress have no interest in being even a slight check on him.
EnglishPete

« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2017, 01:55:23 PM »

"And the mob threatened and cursed, but the mob retreated because it had met the one thing that could stop it: force, rooted in justice, and backed by moral courage."

Mob didn't retreat last time.

That's because instead of facing force rooted in justice and backed by moral courage the mob faced official complicity rooted in moral corruption. As I quoted above

You must be logged in to read this quote.
JJC

« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2017, 02:15:23 PM »

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/byron-york-if-trump-sends-feds-to-chicago-what-would-they-do/article/2612904?custom_click=rss

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »

cops and paperwork...eternal enemies?

that point seems absurd.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2017, 02:25:51 PM »

Usurping local control is unacceptable and in Trump's case, it's political. The whole voting fraud thing came up again and then this came up, which I don't think is a coincidence.
Vcrew192
Rookie
United States

« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2017, 02:35:10 PM »

These past five days have been horrific. Are we past the point where we still need to give this schmuck a chance yet? He's already way out of control, and it's clear that Republicans in Congress have no interest in being even a slight check on him.

Seeing as how he is going to be your president for the next for years, it would be beneficial to your "cause" to try and find as much common ground as possible.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2017, 02:38:58 PM »

Seeing as how he is going to be your president for the next for years, it would be beneficial to your "cause" to try and find as much common ground as possible.

Four years, not for.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2017, 02:40:59 PM »

Rather my lips be cold and dead than warmed by the heat of Trump's asshole.
Vcrew192
Rookie
United States

« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2017, 02:54:50 PM »

Usurping local control is unacceptable and in Trump's case, it's political. The whole voting fraud thing came up again and then this came up, which I don't think is a coincidence.

What does voter fraud have to do with murder in Chicago?

Also usurping local control is necessary when the local and state government are just as ineffectual and downright criminal as they city they are presiding over.

Since 1972, Chicago has prosecuted 30 alderman, 4 governors and a number of city clerks. The Springfield machine has been in a budget stalemate for close to two years because Mike Madigan refuses to put a bill on the floor because he would lose the $107,000 paycheck he receives every year from the Chicago teacher's union. And he can never be voted out because he gerrymanders his district, and that of his colleagues, to ensure their majority. And none of this can ever by prosecuted because the state Attorney General is his daughter Lisa Madigan.

I am a huge proponent of state and local government but I'm also a concerned Illinois citizen who is fed up with the Springfield circlejerk. If Trump thinks he can help without declaring martial law then I'm all for it.
Vcrew192
Rookie
United States

« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »

Four years, not for.

My mistake.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2017, 02:58:16 PM »

Also usurping local control is necessary when the local and state government are just as ineffectual and downright criminal as they city they are presiding over.

Since 1972, Chicago has prosecuted 30 alderman, 4 governors and a number of city clerks. The Springfield machine has been in a budget stalemate for close to two years because Mike Madigan refuses to put a bill on the floor because he would lose the $107,000 paycheck he receives every year from the Chicago teacher's union. And he can never be voted out because he gerrymanders his district, and that of his colleagues, to ensure their majority. And none of this can ever by prosecuted because the state Attorney General is his daughter Lisa Madigan.

I am a huge proponent of state and local government but I'm also a concerned Illinois citizen who is fed up with the Springfield circlejerk. If Trump thinks he can help without declaring martial law then I'm all for it.

Trump is not beneath using his authority to keep urban areas from voting under the guise of public safety. It's interesting that he is threatening to send the federal authorities into a city the heavily voted against him after again declaring that there were millions of illegal votes.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2017, 03:01:11 PM »

It honestly feels like everything Republicans know about America's inner cities, they learned from watching old Charles Bronson films.
Vcrew192
Rookie
United States

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2017, 03:05:53 PM »

Trump is not beneath using his authority to keep urban areas from voting under the guise of public safety. It's interesting that he is threatening to send the federal authorities into a city the heavily voted against him after again declaring that there were millions of illegal votes.

It should be "Trump is not above using his..."

Regardless, I think it's a little premature to start accusing Trump of voter suppression for offering federal assistance in lowering crime rates.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2017, 03:07:44 PM »

This actually comes as no surprise to me. I anticipated some sort of martial law being declared in Chicago by a Trump administration. In fact, I think Trump and his supporters would in their heart-of-hearts see Chicago transformed the way Grozny and Aleppo have been.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2017, 03:12:39 PM »

I think we should give him a length of rope and let him do the rest. Really, that's what's happening right now. The only real question is whether the GOP will get rid of him the right way, via impeachment or threat of it, or if they're so bloated with blind spineless ignorant greedbags that it'll be done the wrong way and maim our democracy in the process. Or it'll fail, and so will the US as a free country.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2017, 03:13:04 PM »

It should be "Trump is not above using his..."

Regardless, I think it's a little premature to start accusing Trump of voter suppression for offering federal assistance in lowering crime rates.

It's not premature at all. He's already calling for an investigation into fraud that he has no evidence for.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2017, 03:22:47 PM »

I would say Trump lost his mind, but not sure whether he ever had a sane mind.

Without having read the entire discussion, but as far as I remember this (martial law) can only happen with congressional approval. No way this gets through.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2017, 03:38:36 PM »

How long? What if people start dying there?
start?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2017, 03:40:31 PM »

I would say Trump lost his mind, but not sure whether he ever had a sane mind.

Without having read the entire discussion, but as far as I remember this (martial law) can only happen with congressional approval. No way this gets through.

Of course not; it violates Posse commitatus. But since when has that stopped the chicken little critics. It must be exhausting switching between "OMG Trump said this thing and if you construe it hyper literally it sounds bad. We should trust him to do this bad thing." And "OMG it doesn't matter what Trump says. We can't trust him when he says he wont do the bad thing." I mean Obama "sent feds" to investigate a parade float in Nebraska. "Sending feds" does not have to mean the absolute worse interpretation possible. Doing what you fear is unconstitutional. It won't happen and no amount of Bill Maher level fear mongering about "muh Trump is uh Nazi Fascist and will genocide everyone" will change that.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies