Trump expected to sign EO targeting refugees on Wednesday
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:51:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump expected to sign EO targeting refugees on Wednesday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Trump expected to sign EO targeting refugees on Wednesday  (Read 7539 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2017, 12:04:37 PM »

Excellent idea. Don't be like Europe. Stop Muslim immigration.

Just a shame it's on the basis of country instead of religion. Political correctness gone wild, sad!
You're embracing the same ideological tendency that left Jews to die in the Holocaust and that will, most assuredly, lead to similar atrocities in the Middle East going forward. Many gay people will die in the Middle East because of this Executive Order, including a language instructor at a university I went to. He applied for asylum this fall and came out to his family in Iraq. Now he's going to go home to die.

This isn't even about "having a heart" per se. You have to acknowledge that there are disturbing consequences when you try to regulate the flow of people in this manner. It's unnatural, it generalizes with a broad-brush etc. No one should cheer something like this. It's something that I can understand tolerating but celebrating an EO like this is disturbing.

How far we have fallen.
The situation of Jews before the Shoah in Europe and that of Muslims in the Middle East right now is uncomparable because Jews' behavior in Europe was different than Muslims' behavior in the West right now (I don't recall a Jewish 9/11). In addition to that, European antisemtism is a problem not caused by Jews whereas the ongoing stream of intra-Ummah violence is a problem endogeneous to the Muslim world; why should the West bear the negative consequences?

Note that since I'm not historically illiterate, I'm not talking about "not integrating" or whatever; that's just fine by me. Ostjuden in Berlin didn't exactly assimilate either. I don't mind Muslims dressing differently, praying differently, thinking differently, or eating differently, and I would be a massive hypocrite if I did. What I mind is too many Muslims expecting non-Muslims to conform to their rules, committing acts of terrorism because of their religion, and blaming everything on the West while living conditions for a Muslim in the West are infinitely better than for a Muslim in the Middle East. Violent crimes by Muslim youth cannot solely be understood through socio-economic disparities or whatever: they are rooted in a culture that fundamentally disrepects non-Muslims and views taking over non-Muslim areas through intimidation and street terror as legitimate. Moreover, many Muslims' tendency to act on their disapproval of Jews and LGBT people and on women's freedom poses a big problem and is perhaps inevitable. It is that type of behavior I loathe, and we've got a big problem on our hands here in Europe.

LGBT people are a group that should absolutely be part of an exception to the rule and if this executive order would not include such an exception, that would be an aspect I most definitely do not support.

One of the ironies is that any thinking person who is actually concerned about the deeply reactionary tendencies of political Islamism and who does not use that term as coded language for "brown people that I dislike" would recognize that the greatest victims of this tendency are those who are nominally Muslim (closeted gay people, aspiring professional women, artists etc.). The only way to provide safe harbor for them is to accept refugees who are Muslim. This quandary is probably unresolvable for those who are sincere about fearing Islam rather than fearing Muslims.

This is why earlier I referred to the Holocaust, though the Pogroms in Russia would be a much better comparison. Yes, various dissidents are not religious/ethnic minorities but they do face the prospects of political oppression, discrimination and so on. Atrocities will be committed against them. The West's refusal to stand up for its own values in these cases is despicable and betrays the real reasons for these restrictions.

I'd add that screening based on religion wouldn't work. You wouldn't want to force potential refugees to declare themselves as non-Muslim when they're living in the Middle East. That could be a death sentence.

Just some things to keep in mind, I guess. People are free to support these measures but they ought to acknowledge the collateral damage when doing so. Is that actually congruent with the values held by Europeans/Americans?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2017, 07:31:32 PM »

So it still hasn't happened...
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2017, 10:33:16 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2017, 12:02:43 AM by ag »

Well, it happened now. And not only refugees.

Iranian-Americans must be real pleased today. Will do marvels to solidify another Dem voter block in CA.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2017, 11:13:08 PM »

And, it seems, he really had to wait to make sure this happens on Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Nice hint.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2017, 06:12:45 AM »

He only suspended refugee program for Muslims from Syria, but not Christians. Isn't that unconstitutional? As far as I interpret it, it violates the first amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2017, 07:20:40 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2017, 06:11:11 PM by Meclazine »

Will sign, has signed.

4 month suspension of all refugees to America from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2017, 07:21:23 AM »

Day by day, I feel more and more dread. We're going to be living in dark times.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2017, 09:53:08 AM »

Excellent news, and so refreshing to see a politician actually keeping his promises.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2017, 10:21:22 AM »

As bad as it is when politicians wrap themselves in the flag, using a Medal of Honor display as a backdrop for anything other than the award of it to a deserving military member to me borders on sacrilege. Stolen glory. Sad!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2017, 11:14:06 AM »

Austria Blocks 300 Refugees Trying to Get to U.S.

Austria has blocked about 300 non-Muslim Iranians seeking refugee status in the U.S. as fallout from President Donald Trump’s immigration ban continues.

As part of a long-running program, Austria had been serving as a middleman in helping Iranian Jews, Christians and Baha'i resettle in the U.S. if they were at risk at home.

U.S. authorities conducted interviews with the candidates in Austria, since they were unable to do it in Iran. But the program, officially called the “Iranian Lautenberg Program,” has been suspended after Trump’s executive order banning immigrants from certain countries, the Associated Press reported Saturday, citing Austrian authorities.

Austrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Thomas Schnöll was cited as saying, “U.S. authorities told us that the onward trip for people to the U.S.A., who received visas from Austrian authorities as part of the program, would be put on hold for now.”

The State Department reportedly sent an email earlier this week stating that the Austrian government had “electronically canceled” its visas for applicants, warning that if the applicants tried to get into Austria without a visa, they’d be permanently banned from the country.

The program’s cancellation will affect about 300 Iranians who’d gotten visas for Austria, Schnoell said. While about 100 of them have already been informed of the news, the other 200 have yet to be found and notified.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2017/01/28/austria-blocks-300-refugees-trying-to-get-to-u-s.html
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2017, 12:30:32 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2017, 12:32:29 PM by ag »

I see, Mr HamanB. is very happy.

To everybody according to his faith. I am sure, when his time comes, he will find where to go.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2017, 12:32:00 PM »

He only suspended refugee program for Muslims from Syria, but not Christians. Isn't that unconstitutional? As far as I interpret it, it violates the first amendment:

No, he blocked them all. He said he would (may be, later) do something about the non-Muslims, though he was really confusing (and confused) about it. But, for the moment, even if you are Bahai, you are out.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2017, 01:30:52 PM »

Any veracity to reports of people with green cards being denied re-entry? I've yet to see a solid source report it, but it's concerning.
mencken
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2017, 01:44:29 PM »

I would think Christians are disproportionately more at risk in Syria than Muslims, owing to ISIS and other Islamist rebel groups not exactly being the most tolerant of infidels. I would have no problem with granting Jewish refugees from Germany in 1938 preferential treatment, or Christian refugees from Turkey in 1915 preferential treatment.

As far as the First Amendment goes,

This does not establish a religion, nor does it prohibit the free exercise of Islam.
mencken
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2017, 01:45:50 PM »

Austria Blocks 300 Refugees Trying to Get to U.S.

Austria has blocked about 300 non-Muslim Iranians seeking refugee status in the U.S. as fallout from President Donald Trump’s immigration ban continues.

As part of a long-running program, Austria had been serving as a middleman in helping Iranian Jews, Christians and Baha'i resettle in the U.S. if they were at risk at home.

U.S. authorities conducted interviews with the candidates in Austria, since they were unable to do it in Iran. But the program, officially called the “Iranian Lautenberg Program,” has been suspended after Trump’s executive order banning immigrants from certain countries, the Associated Press reported Saturday, citing Austrian authorities.

Austrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Thomas Schnöll was cited as saying, “U.S. authorities told us that the onward trip for people to the U.S.A., who received visas from Austrian authorities as part of the program, would be put on hold for now.”

The State Department reportedly sent an email earlier this week stating that the Austrian government had “electronically canceled” its visas for applicants, warning that if the applicants tried to get into Austria without a visa, they’d be permanently banned from the country.

The program’s cancellation will affect about 300 Iranians who’d gotten visas for Austria, Schnoell said. While about 100 of them have already been informed of the news, the other 200 have yet to be found and notified.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2017/01/28/austria-blocks-300-refugees-trying-to-get-to-u-s.html

I must have forgot about Austria's state of civil war and chaos which requires Iranians currently there to seek asylum in the United States.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2017, 01:51:34 PM »

Any veracity to reports of people with green cards being denied re-entry? I've yet to see a solid source report it, but it's concerning.

CNN has confirmed and is now reporting that affected green card holders will not be allowed to return from abroad.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2017, 01:52:27 PM »

No more concerning than the rest of it (unless, of course, you happen to have a green card).

Ladies and Gentlemen. It is too late to be concerned. We all have to realise that we are not dealing with merely a new US administration.

Also, frankly, time for personal hygiene. If you are still on talking terms with any people supporting this government, I would strongly suggest reevaluating if you really need to maintain those.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2017, 01:54:49 PM »

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/trump-muslim-ban-green-card-holders/
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2017, 02:05:22 PM »

No more concerning than the rest of it (unless, of course, you happen to have a green card).

There's a big fcking difference between barring people well down the road to legal citizenship, who live, work, pay taxes, etc. here and banning taking in new people.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2017, 02:06:59 PM »

There's a big fcking difference between barring people well down the road to legal citizenship, who live, work, pay taxes, etc. here and banning taking in new people.

As an old Russian saying goes, you do not worry about a haircut after the beheading. Before long, he will start deporting and/or indefinitely detaining citizens. Either fight it or get used to it.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »

WH is now confirming that green card holders will be denied re-entry, but can apply for a waiver from the DHS to be allowed back in the US.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2017, 02:19:23 PM »

I just watched a sobbing NY Democratic woman of Hispanic origin (apparently a US House Rep.) next to an Iraqi refugee who was detained for the past day or so and who was now released. She was talking about how people should resist Trump and how he sucks etc.

Then the Iraqi refugee was asked by a reporter: "What do you think about Donald Trump ?"

The man replied: "I love him !"

Tongue
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2017, 02:49:05 PM »

I just watched a sobbing NY Democratic woman of Hispanic origin (apparently a US House Rep.) next to an Iraqi refugee who was detained for the past day or so and who was now released. She was talking about how people should resist Trump and how he sucks etc.

Then the Iraqi refugee was asked by a reporter: "What do you think about Donald Trump ?"

The man replied: "I love him !"

Tongue

He would have been detained again if he said otherwise.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2017, 02:56:01 PM »

Donald Trump suspiciously realistic as Lex Luthor when talking about his actions on the refugee issue (video/cartoon):

https://youtu.be/e4U2YV3rZUA?t=16s

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2017, 03:43:33 PM »

Thank goodness the economic anxiety of good-natured white people in the Rust Belt can now be assuaged. Purple heart
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies