Trump expected to sign EO targeting refugees on Wednesday
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:34:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump expected to sign EO targeting refugees on Wednesday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Trump expected to sign EO targeting refugees on Wednesday  (Read 7546 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2017, 03:47:44 PM »

Thank goodness the economic anxiety of good-natured white people in the Rust Belt can now be assuaged. Purple heart
Yeah, now I don't risk losing my job to Abana when she grows up.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2017, 04:13:10 PM »

Thank goodness the economic anxiety of good-natured white people in the Rust Belt can now be assuaged. Purple heart

I didn't know you hated the free market so much.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2017, 04:14:27 PM »

Ah yes, your hard working blue collar job of campaign management.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2017, 04:18:32 PM »

Maybe if your and other's had much better skills, jobs wouldn't be "stolen" by immigrants coming to the US.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2017, 04:20:44 PM »

Our nation suffers as a result.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2017, 05:28:49 PM »

SCOTUS can block this, right?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2017, 05:32:27 PM »

If Dems have any balls at all they'll ask Trump's SCOTUS pick how'd he rule on the constitutionality of the ban, and filibuster any nominee who says they'd be in favor.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2017, 05:34:16 PM »

I don't think you guys understand humor.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »

If Dems have any balls at all they'll ask Trump's SCOTUS pick how'd he rule on the constitutionality of the ban, and filibuster any nominee who says they'd be in favor.

They should ask SCOTUS immediately to review and overturn this.  Because all I've been seeing lately is 'strongly-worded statements' and other non-action from Democrats.  This is why I fcking the party now.  No one with any sense could possibly think this is actually acceptable and any congressional Democrat that remains silent is an enabler.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2017, 05:55:32 PM »

This is past the stage for humor. And, of course, you should worry that your reputation is such that even this ridiculous post of yours was taken seriously: it says more about what people think of you than of their ability to laugh.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2017, 05:57:56 PM »

This is past the stage for humor. And, of course, you should worry that your reputation is such that even this ridiculous post of yours was taken seriously: it says more about what people think of you than of their ability to laugh.
I definitely took it seriously.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2017, 06:05:30 PM »

I just watched a sobbing NY Democratic woman of Hispanic origin (apparently a US House Rep.) next to an Iraqi refugee who was detained for the past day or so and who was now released. She was talking about how people should resist Trump and how he sucks etc.

Then the Iraqi refugee was asked by a reporter: "What do you think about Donald Trump ?"

The man replied: "I love him !"

Tongue

He no doubt had plenty of practice saying he loved Saddam.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2017, 06:10:54 PM »

I think this is bad policy, but not necessarily idiotic.  The implementation of it however has gone beyond idiotic to imbecilic.  Bad enough to revoke already granted visas without cause, but to do so for people who were already in en route to the US when the EO was signed?  Trump's made us a laughingstock and for no good reason.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2017, 06:11:37 PM »

This exactly. I know friends who are in tears right now because they won't be able to see their family members. For one of them, her husband was almost through the approval process and was subsequently blocked. He had been waiting for months, and she has not seen him in over a year.  

This pain is what Trump supporters are getting off of making "jokes" right now.
Jeffster
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2017, 06:12:54 PM »

Maybe if your and other's had much better skills, jobs wouldn't be "stolen" by immigrants coming to the US.

So by that logic why don't you red avatar hypocrites advocate we get rid of welfare so people can pull themselves up by their bootstraps? Seriously, what the  is wrong with you? I thought Democrats were supposed to be the party of the working class. If you support labor unions and closed shops you should support restricting immigration. It's the same concept on a larger scale.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2017, 06:15:26 PM »

This exactly. I know friends who are in tears right now because they won't be able to see their family members. For one of them, her husband was almost through the approval process and was subsequently blocked. He had been waiting for months, and she has not seen him in over a year. 

This pain is what Trump supporters are getting off of making "jokes" right now.
Yeah..it's disgusting and shameful.  And it won't be forgotten.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2017, 06:16:13 PM »

Don't worry, I for one think making fun of people we are causing to needlessly suffer is absolutely hilarious.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2017, 06:29:13 PM »

He no doubt had plenty of practice saying he loved Saddam.
...and him reflexively professing his love for you-know-who is pretty telling too.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2017, 06:37:40 PM »

There is a key test of people's convictions for this issue.

For those who feel strongly about refugees in these countries: Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

Go live there for 6 months and work with the refugees and help them out.

For those US (and Australian) citizens who risk their lives by going to places like Afghanistan to help protect women's rights and look after disadvantaged people, that is the 1% of the population we need to stand up. Go do it.

http://www.news.com.au/world/africa/kidnapped-aussie-ken-elliott-likely-moved-out-of-burkina-faso/news-story/5733b76424adb60935fe0d9f7782c3ee

These are not friendly countries to Westerners.

They routinely kidnap, rape and murder foreigners. In Saudi Arabia and other muslim countries, once you are raped, you are then thrown in jail for adultery.

Having worked in some of these countries, I applaud anyone who is willing to go there and assist people to provide a better quality of life.

Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2017, 06:46:49 PM »

There is a key test of people's convictions for this issue.

For those who feel strongly about refugees in these countries: Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

Go live there for 6 months and work with the refugees and help them out.

For those US (and Australian) citizens who risk their lives by going to places like Afghanistan to help protect women's rights and look after disadvantaged people, that is the 1% of the population we need to stand up. Go do it.

http://www.news.com.au/world/africa/kidnapped-aussie-ken-elliott-likely-moved-out-of-burkina-faso/news-story/5733b76424adb60935fe0d9f7782c3ee

These are not friendly countries to Westerners.

They routinely kidnap, rape and murder foreigners. In Saudi Arabia and other muslim countries, once you are raped, you are then thrown in jail for adultery.

Having worked in some of these countries, I applaud anyone who is willing to go there and assist people to provide a better quality of life.

There are 200,000 Canadians that would not be able to go to the US anymore. Including 50,000 or so Syrian refugees. I personally know some who want to work or study in the US. I do not have to leave my town to find people who would be adversely affected by this.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2017, 07:09:10 PM »

Trump's made us a laughingstock and for no good reason.

Nobody is laughing at you. People hate you.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2017, 07:10:12 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2017, 07:12:16 PM by Meclazine »

....Including 50,000 or so Syrian refugees.

I think what Trump is saying is that he doesn't want these 50,000 refugees in the USA.

The only genuine solution to this problem is to fix Syria on the ground so the refugees can return safely to their own country.

For that, Trump could issue "temporary protection" until it is safe to return. That way, he avoids having long standing welfare issues.

Our experience in Australia with refugees from that list of countries is that 93% become welfare dependent on a permanent basis after about 5 years of re-settlement.

As such, we now have off-shore processing and they are returned to their home country.

Once we took the free welfare cheques off the table and introduced offshore processing, we have had no illegal immigrants to this country arriving by boat. Zero, nada, zilch.

I am opposed to economic migration for the purposes of draining the coffers or wealthier countries, which in all honestly, these people actually despise.

These people genuinely hate the USA, so why would you let them in?

Who once famously said "I don't mind takin' charity. From those that I despise."

I have met these people. I am a refugee volunteer in Perth when we get large influxes from Kosovo, East Timor, Afghanistan etc.

East Timorese were pretty cool, and I would re-settle their similing happy faces in a heart beat.

But the middle eastern Islamic refugees were fussy, rude, arrogant to women and just did not get the Australian way of life when I showed them around.

Why do I have to take these people in my country? There are 14 Islamic nations between Iraq/Iran/Afghanistan and Australia. Surely a genuine refugee seeking asylum would resettle in a nation friendly to their religious beliefs. But they risk their lives for the dollar. When we took the dollar away, they disappeared and went to Sweden instead.

Economic refugees from these countries bring their hatred and pre-existing 300BC thoughts with them and do not assimilate at all.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/09/20/half-of-australia-wants-to-ban-muslim-migration-heres-why-that/

It is a red hot subject, but someone has to draw the line somewhere.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2017, 07:24:45 PM »

Haters gonna hate, and anyone likely to start hating us would hate us for the policy itself, not the imbecilic way it has been implemented.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2017, 07:25:20 PM »

No need to be dramatic.

This will be fixed very soon.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »

No need to be dramatic.

This will be fixed very soon.

Hopefully, but if Trump's team were in the least bit competent, they could have easily avoided the sight of mothers of US infant citizens being denied reentry at US airports.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies