Trump expected to sign EO targeting refugees on Wednesday (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:27:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump expected to sign EO targeting refugees on Wednesday (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump expected to sign EO targeting refugees on Wednesday  (Read 7559 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: January 25, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »

Likewise, friend.  So.  Ignored. Smiley

P.S. Go back to your own country, because it sure as hell ain't The Netherlands.
I did report that one Wink Too many liberals really don't understand the difference between a political opinion and a personal attack. But no worries, I dream of living in Israel some day.

I might add that it's never actual right-wingers who tell me to "go back to my own country", only people on the left who are angry about me disagreeing with them. It's the standard treatment minorities get if they disagree with the left.
In the same post you express a desire to be an Israeli and yet you think being told you aren't a Netherlander is an attack. It was such an outstanding example of doublethink that I had to check the calendar and make certain it wasn't 1984.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 09:30:46 AM »

In the same post you express a desire to be an Israeli and yet you think being told you aren't a Netherlander is an attack. It was such an outstanding example of doublethink that I had to check the calendar and make certain it wasn't 1984.
I didn't expect a thoroughly antisemitic and disgusting person like you to understand, but how is it not a personal attack for someone else to say the Netherlands is not my country? I think I get to decide on that.
I'm old school when it comes to citizenship. Pick one. Dual citizenship is fine and dandy for children who haven't had the opportunity to decide, but adults should have figured out where there loyalties lie.  On an issue on which the interests of Israel and the Netherlands diverged, which would you support?  Based on everything you've posted here, you seem like an Israeli residing abroad in the Netherlands, at least in your heart if not your passport.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 01:14:03 PM »

I'm old school when it comes to citizenship. Pick one. Dual citizenship is fine and dandy for children who haven't had the opportunity to decide, but adults should have figured out where there loyalties lie.  On an issue on which the interests of Israel and the Netherlands diverged, which would you support?  Based on everything you've posted here, you seem like an Israeli residing abroad in the Netherlands, at least in your heart if not your passport.
I'm Dutch and Jewish and I love both the Netherlands and Israel. It's nice to know that some racist in South Carolina thinks I have to choose, but in reality I don't. There is no contradiction between Dutch and Israeli interests. In Israel I'd vote for nationalists that without a doubt would support more nationalism in the Netherlands, in the Netherlands I vote for nationalists that wholeheartedly support Israeli nationalism. The contradiction isn't there. In the Netherlands I'll always remain a Jew. In Israel I'll always remain Dutch.

I hope for your sake that the interests of Israel and the Netherlands remain noncontradictory, but history is not on your side there. There are a multitude of examples of countries that had congruent interests that later diverged.  For that matter, history is replete with examples of people who thought they were advancing the interests of two countries while actually serving only one, or even none.

The only constant history shows is change, and he who plans on things staying the way they are will end up being disappointed.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 01:55:54 PM »

Your loss. While I often disagree with you, I do find your viewpoint interesting. The only thing I particularly dislike about you is you treating every criticism of Israel as stemming from anti-Semitism.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 01:22:55 AM »

Excellent idea. Don't be like Europe. Stop Muslim immigration.

Just a shame it's on the basis of country instead of religion. Political correctness gone wild, sad!

You're embracing the same ideological tendency that left Jews to die in the Holocaust.

Tweets didn't do that.

More to the point, it wasn't just negative stereotypes that led to the lack of reaction to the wholesale slaughter of Jews, Roma, and other groups targeted by the Nazis and their collaborators across Europe. Positive stereotypes also played a role. After all, civilized Germans would never be capable of such barbarity, so those reports of atrocities must be exaggerations and/or lies. That same mindset is what allows Holocaust deniers to get believed by a few despite the abundant evidence to the contrary.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 08:25:53 AM »

Excellent idea. Don't be like Europe. Stop Muslim immigration.

Just a shame it's on the basis of country instead of religion. Political correctness gone wild, sad!

You're embracing the same ideological tendency that left Jews to die in the Holocaust.

Tweets didn't do that.

More to the point, it wasn't just negative stereotypes that led to the lack of reaction to the wholesale slaughter of Jews, Roma, and other groups targeted by the Nazis and their collaborators across Europe. Positive stereotypes also played a role. After all, civilized Germans would never be capable of such barbarity, so those reports of atrocities must be exaggerations and/or lies. That same mindset is what allows Holocaust deniers to get believed by a few despite the abundant evidence to the contrary.

?

I'm saying that if the 1920s wave of anti-immigrant sentiment never occurred that a lot of Jews wouldn't have died in the Holocaust, which is undeniably the case. Liberalized immigration laws would have saved many lives.
Maybe another 100,000 or so, which while not insignificant is but a small fraction of those lost. The Jews in the areas Germany occupied were largely not prescient enuf to foresee Nazi occupation, let alone what the Nazis would do, until war made emmigration impossible. Not only that, but presumably more liberal immigration to the U.S. would've meant more liberal immigration elsewhere, so a number of those fleeing Germany wouldn't have fled far enuf.

It wasn't worries about German Jews that led to the tightening of immigration, but concerns about immigrants from Eastern and Southern Europe, including the Jews thereof. Germany had a immigration quota of 57,000 under the Johnson-Reed Act.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 10:21:22 AM »

As bad as it is when politicians wrap themselves in the flag, using a Medal of Honor display as a backdrop for anything other than the award of it to a deserving military member to me borders on sacrilege. Stolen glory. Sad!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 06:05:30 PM »

I just watched a sobbing NY Democratic woman of Hispanic origin (apparently a US House Rep.) next to an Iraqi refugee who was detained for the past day or so and who was now released. She was talking about how people should resist Trump and how he sucks etc.

Then the Iraqi refugee was asked by a reporter: "What do you think about Donald Trump ?"

The man replied: "I love him !"

Tongue

He no doubt had plenty of practice saying he loved Saddam.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 06:10:54 PM »

I think this is bad policy, but not necessarily idiotic.  The implementation of it however has gone beyond idiotic to imbecilic.  Bad enough to revoke already granted visas without cause, but to do so for people who were already in en route to the US when the EO was signed?  Trump's made us a laughingstock and for no good reason.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 07:24:45 PM »

Trump's made us a laughingstock and for no good reason.

Nobody is laughing at you. People hate you.

Haters gonna hate, and anyone likely to start hating us would hate us for the policy itself, not the imbecilic way it has been implemented.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »

Trump's made us a laughingstock and for no good reason.

Nobody is laughing at you. People hate you.

No need to be dramatic.

This will be fixed very soon.

Hopefully, but if Trump's team were in the least bit competent, they could have easily avoided the sight of mothers of US infant citizens being denied reentry at US airports.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies