Will Isakson complete his third term or resign?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:18:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Isakson complete his third term or resign?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will he resign?
resign

finish third term

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Will Isakson complete his third term or resign?  (Read 2316 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2017, 12:34:29 AM »

Will Johnny Isakson (R-GA) resign due to health problems or complete his third term and break this US Senate seat's "curse"?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 12:37:41 AM »

Really should resign.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 01:10:37 AM »

I hope he resigns before 2022, honestly. If Trump is reelected (which I expect will happen), Republicans will have a very hard time holding this seat.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 01:58:47 AM »

I hope he resigns before 2022, honestly. If Trump is reelected (which I expect will happen), Republicans will have a very hard time holding this seat.
If he resigns, this senate seat will remain "cursed", meaning nobody serves three full terms and retires without being defeated. Herman Talmadge was the last three-term Senator to hold this seat, but he was defeated in 1980.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 02:44:21 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2017, 02:46:48 AM by ERM64man »

Is his health really that bad? Not to sound like an insensitive jerk, but this would be the Hail Mary Dems would need to win the Senate in 2018, though I don't know who they have that would put the race into top tier status. Nunn and Barrow are also-rans, and Carter looks likely for the gubernatorial race.
I don't know exactly how his health is. If he resigns, it would likely be between 2019 and 2021. I don't think it was a good idea to mention Senate control in this thread.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 11:19:03 PM »

Is his health really that bad? Not to sound like an insensitive jerk, but this would be the Hail Mary Dems would need to win the Senate in 2018, though I don't know who they have that would put the race into top tier status. Nunn and Barrow are also-rans, and Carter looks likely for the gubernatorial race.

Sally Yates: http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/01/30/sally-yates-a-new-georgia-face-to-trump-resistance/
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 12:08:48 AM »

Sally Yates: http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2017/01/30/sally-yates-a-new-georgia-face-to-trump-resistance/
I don't think someone whose claim to fame is refusing to do their job is the candidate you are looking for
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 01:02:56 AM »

Considering his health, I don't think he makes it to January 2023. Which is dangerous for the GOP, actually, considering that Jason Carter probably has pretty good odds of being elected Governor of Georgia in 2018. I can imagine Isakson resigning in Deal's lame-duck period to let Deal appoint his replacement if he wants it to stay in Republican hands. Otherwise, there's a chance for a Democratic shadow-pickup here at some point.
Sven
plainstone89
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 02:40:44 AM »

Objectively, he needs to retire. Potential pickup or no potential pickup, Isakson has a pretty dire diagnosis hanging over him, and I doubt his job will do his health any favors.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 02:43:09 AM »

I know Isakson has been diagnosed with Parkinson's but has there been any updates on his condition that would lead one to conclude that he will resign or is on death's door? I doubt he would have run for reelection if he felt he was going to die soon
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 12:53:23 PM »

Isakson will be a lifer in my view. I cannot see him leaving the Senate alive. Should he die (God forbid) or resign the Democrats need to field a candidate that can win. In my view, Isakson should find a successor to the seat quickly should something happen. Scott from the 8th district in Georgia would be a good successor or maybe even Collins from the 9th.
Collins is pretty happy where he is in the House. Woodall, from the 7th, is a solid appointee, but it puts his House seat in jeopardy.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 06:15:29 PM »

And resigning he is. By the end of this year, in fact.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies