How long before Trump is impeached/thrown out of office?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:23:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How long before Trump is impeached/thrown out of office?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How long before Trump is impeached/thrown out of office?  (Read 4563 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 03:57:52 PM »

After he commits a high crime or misdemeanor while in office. And no, having different political views than Obama is not a crime.

That's not exactly what the OP said, but I'm sure you know that. Trump threatening to send the federal authorities into a city to take over and claiming that there was a massive election fraud is exactly the sort of slippery slope that could lead him to real trouble. This isn't about political views, it's about someone who is unstable enough to actually get himself into real legal trouble. Trump is not normal.

Saying a dumb thing is not a high crime either. Again until something happens this is about politics. Hacks judge the other side by their own worst nightmares while excusing the faults of those who agree.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 04:03:25 PM »

Supposedly a former Republican congressman said they're going to milk Trump for everything they want and then blame it on him and he's stupid enough to be proud and take credit for it and then they'll impeach him to get their guy, Pence, in office.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 04:04:12 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2017, 04:09:46 PM by Invisible Obama »

After he commits a high crime or misdemeanor while in office. And no, having different political views than Obama is not a crime.

That's not exactly what the OP said, but I'm sure you know that. Trump threatening to send the federal authorities into a city to take over and claiming that there was a massive election fraud is exactly the sort of slippery slope that could lead him to real trouble. This isn't about political views, it's about someone who is unstable enough to actually get himself into real legal trouble. Trump is not normal.

Saying a dumb thing is not a high crime either. Again until something happens this is about politics. Hacks judge the other side by their own worst nightmares while excusing the faults of those who agree.

Read thoroughly, sweetheart. My point is that someone as reckless as Trump has the potential to actually get himself into real trouble. He might not do that, but he has the potential to. I'm not going to argue with you, so have a good day.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 04:05:48 PM »

To get a second term he actually has to be elected. He can't sign an executive order just giving himself one. Let's remember that.

An incumbent unconcerned with legality would need to be overwhelmingly unpopular not to be re-elected.  As long as his popularity does not drop to below 25 or 20%, even if the rest hate him, he will be in office in February 2021.

Remember: US is a flawed democracy now. Hopefully, it will not go further down in ratings before 2020.

Time will tell, but I think Democrats have a good chance at beating Trump now that he can't run as an outsider anymore.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 04:06:23 PM »

I've seen this coming. Everytime I heard liberals say stuff like "Be on the right side of history"...I kinda have been thinking that their side of history was NOT the right side.

Change is on the way. REAL change. Not some elite globalist utopian vision.

History doesn't have sides. Progress is a pernicious myth. But Trump and his worldview are still evil.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 04:06:51 PM »

Supposedly a former Republican congressman said they're going to milk Trump for everything they want and then blame it on him and he's stupid enough to be proud and take credit for it and then they'll impeach him to get their guy, Pence, in office.

Ribble, I assume?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 04:14:53 PM »

Ribble, I assume?

His name wasn't released so we don't know who, of if it was actually anyone but it sounds plausible.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 04:40:56 PM »

The things he's doing...just....WOW. I don't think he will be in office soon.

This is what happens when you surround yourself with group-think media. It creates the illusion among the group that they represent the people and their interests. They don't. It creates the illusion that their opinions are the mainstream opinions. They are not. It creates the illusion that their outrage is shared by everyone. It is not.

I can assure you, the things he is doing now - facilitating the pipeline, re-negotiating NAFTA, extreme vetting of immigrants, taking steps to finally secure our border - are wholly popular with the general public.

I think you meant: spouting nonsense (CIA speech, "monstrous" capitalism), acting like a dictator (threats of martial law, censorship), picking enemies and favorites, and making the defining characteristic of his administration so far a days-long nonsensical whine about how his election was illegitimate because he's a narcissist with a fragile ego.

If you think these are popular with the general public, instead of with the increasingly narrow slice of right wingnut special snowflakes who have spent the last half-century being protected from reality, then you are the one living in an echo chamber.

Even if the actual job he was doing as President was approved by the nation, it is overshadowed by his  petty authoritarianism and increasingly obvious insanity, which are so corrosively destructive that either he goes or the country does.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 05:47:39 PM »

This seems very plausible, but I'm a little skeptical the GOP has the fortitude to follow through on it.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2017, 05:47:51 PM »

January 20, 2025 sounds about right.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 05:51:01 PM »

Ribble, I assume?

His name wasn't released so we don't know who, of if it was actually anyone but it sounds plausible.

Hopefully they hurry up before him and his merry band of morons screw too much up.

Seriously, they barely know what they're putting in his EOs.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2017, 05:55:20 PM »

2019, after the midterms. The Republicans won't risk a bad midterm that could hurt them but I strongly believe Trump is toxic by 2019 and the Republicans focus on winning 2020 without him.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2017, 06:30:04 PM »

It will be Mike Pence running for a first election in 2020... disability. Mental.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2017, 07:06:35 PM »

Anyone who thinks impeachment is a serious risk seriously underestimates the depth of the public perception divide that currently afflicts the country.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2017, 07:27:14 PM »

I've seen this coming. Everytime I heard liberals say stuff like "Be on the right side of history"...I kinda have been thinking that their side of history was NOT the right side.

Change is on the way. REAL change. Not some elite globalist utopian vision.

So yeah, change is on the way, but nobody knows if it's going to be GOOD change or BAD change. You do not have a crystal ball.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies