Trump announces 20% tariff on all Mexican imports to pay for wall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:20:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump announces 20% tariff on all Mexican imports to pay for wall
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Trump announces 20% tariff on all Mexican imports to pay for wall  (Read 3651 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2017, 06:33:06 PM »

Great, now we end up paying more for imported products just to finance a dumb wall that will do nothing. On top of this, we're risking a trade war, which would inflate prices further and hurt the economy.

Meanwhile, the Tweedledees are thinking that they're "punishing" Mexico, while actual Americans are having their money and financial stability siphoned for said dumb wall.

10/10
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2017, 06:35:16 PM »

http://www.napsintl.com/automotive-manufacturing/top-products-made-in-mexico/
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2017, 06:40:56 PM »

Spice and White House PR are now SPRINTING this statemant back by the way.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2017, 06:45:27 PM »

Spice and White House PR are now SPRINTING this statemant back by the way.

Throwing things up there and taking them down when they flop...I guess it is a strategy, but we shouldn't be talking about 20% tariffs regardless.
Trapsy

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 07:04:45 PM »

lol this is fun.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2017, 07:10:27 PM »

This mindset is abhorrent and a perfect example of the type of bellicosity and jingoism that stirs up resentments and initiates wars.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2017, 07:11:54 PM »

Great, now we end up paying more for imported products just to finance a dumb wall that will do nothing. On top of this, we're risking a trade war, which would inflate prices further and hurt the economy.

Meanwhile, the Tweedledees are thinking that they're "punishing" Mexico, while actual Americans are having their money and financial stability siphoned for said dumb wall.

10/10

This is what always happens, without fail, whenever people turn to nationalism. Again and again and again. Yet, as we see, many people never ever learn anything.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2017, 07:16:43 PM »

Nationalism, which is far distinct from patriotism, is a joke of an "ideology" that has killed millions and reeks of a lack of intellectual backing ... then again, self-described nationalists usually have a hard-on for such things, so you really can't insult them (think Allen from The Hangover).
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2017, 07:18:31 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2017, 07:20:45 PM by Jacobin American »

Nationalism, which is far distinct from patriotism, is a joke of an "ideology" that has killed millions and reeks of a lack of intellectual backing ... then again, self-described nationalists usually have a hard-on for such things, so you really can't insult them (think Allen from The Hangover).

Not being a psychologist or psychiatrist, I'm not certified to diagnose anyone. But it would certainly appear to me like many, if not most, nationalists are sociopaths or borderline sociopaths. They certainly don't have empathy for others, especially those outside their defined group, and are actively hostile to even the idea of the "other" being equally human.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2017, 07:24:15 PM »

10/10

This is what always happens, without fail, whenever people turn to nationalism. Again and again and again. Yet, as we see, many people never ever learn anything.

Have you ever tried pointing this out to anyone on Facebook or social media? They just basically call you a brainwashed commie. Like this sh**t is legit frightening.

I've been one of those people. I was part of the alt-right back in its earlier days. I know what these people are and how they think; I also know how sick they actually are. They need a good education (which they call "indoctrination") and interacting with people from cultures outside their little bubble (and no, claiming "I live in a multicultural area" isn't truly interacting with people from other cultures).
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2017, 07:38:11 PM »

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2017, 07:45:34 PM »

10/10

Have you ever tried pointing this out to anyone on Facebook or social media? They just basically call you a brainwashed commie. Like this sh**t is legit frightening.

I've been one of those people. I was part of the alt-right back in its earlier days. I know what these people are and how they think; I also know how sick they actually are. They need a good education (which they call "indoctrination") and interacting with people from cultures outside their little bubble (and no, claiming "I live in a multicultural area" isn't truly interacting with people from other cultures).

Same. I grew up as a Republican, and was until literally the primary season eliminated Kasich from contention. This isn't the party I knew.

I grew up in a lower working class family in North Florida, so I know Republican culture pretty well. It's not necessarily bad, nor are Republican voters. But there's a very large share of the GOP electorate who're dangerous and they now have almost a total monopoly of power over the party now. I voted for Romney in 2012 and have subsequently moved further left, no doubt, but the right-wing has become so much what I remember the alt-right being several years ago that it's scary. I hear in major publications and from high ranking officials the kind of rhetoric I'd read on blogs like Chateau Heartiste, Alternative Right, American Renaissance, and Taki's Magazine. Those who aren't familiar with the alt-right really don't realize how much the GOP now resembles that obscure internet movement.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2017, 08:19:09 PM »

10/10

Same. I grew up as a Republican, and was until literally the primary season eliminated Kasich from contention. This isn't the party I knew.

Are you the Missourian from RRH?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2017, 08:40:00 PM »

There is an insane logic behind this breed of nationalism, which dictates that if a country becomes economically weaker, your country by some unexplained mechanic gains. In actual fact, to "punish" Mexico (and yes, the actions being defended by blue avvies on this thread would fall under such a category, even if Trump himself seems to already be backsliding) and devastate their living standards is to attack yourself. No country in the modern era has ever benefited from the collapse of a nation in its periphary, especially when economies are as intertwined as Mexico and America  are.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2017, 08:47:34 PM »

Bad
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2017, 08:58:30 PM »

this is a horrible idea, just like it is when the other side suggests it
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2017, 08:58:43 PM »

I am just saddened to think we are permanently damaging our relations with a neighboring country... and it's being justified by trumped up propaganda.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2017, 09:09:30 PM »

I am just saddened to think we are permanently damaging our relations with a neighboring country... and it's being justified by trumped up propaganda.

Do not worry. In 2025, when both Trump and AMLO are out (hopefully), we will start picking up pieces. We are still neighbours and will be neighbours in any case. Let us keep private friendship between individuals on both side of Die Mauer: in the end, it will fall.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2017, 09:22:58 PM »

Do not worry. In 2025, when both Trump and AMLO are out (hopefully), we will start picking up pieces. We are still neighbours and will be neighbours in any case. Let us keep private friendship between individuals on both side of Die Mauer: in the end, it will fall.

Yeah, but this sh**t is gonna get worse before it gets better. And we all know what will happen when the next Democratic President comes in and tries to clean up the mess Trump created.

It will be horrible. This is why it is important not to loose our heads and to help each other out.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2017, 09:35:55 PM »

10/10

Could you expound more on this? I'd be curious to get your opinion on what's happening with the alt-right and its takeover of the Republican Party.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2017, 10:46:27 PM »

We help other nations because it's in our interests. We help them, in return, they acknowledge us as the world's reigning superpower with the power to set and enforce international norms and to benefit American commerce. We don't help people from the goodness of our hearts.

We do what Rome did, in their heyday. They guaranteed the economic security and safety of the Mediterranean region in return for everyone in the region acknowledging and abiding by Rome's rules. America's navy, commerce, and military, as well as our soft power all go a long way (up to recently, anyway) to enforcing American concepts of how the world should be run.

The problem is not it's suddenly a bad idea to help the world. The problem is that the international system is slowly breaking down and the benefits to both America and the world is disintegrating because nobody is observing the rules. That's particularly why America has to reconstitute the international order and to create a new liberal global order. (classically liberal in that descriptor).
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2017, 01:22:03 AM »

When you start having to pay $10 for a gallon of milk, let us know how you feel.

This is a fcking stupid idea and you'd have to be totally illiterate on economics to think otherwise.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2017, 01:48:18 AM »

The international order is dying, mostly because of the rise of China and the insanity of Russia and a few other countries. I'm not so sure it can actually be fixed.

US has been more than capable of keeping things in check overall. Until it, suddenly, decided to surrender without a fight and to join the side of the insane.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2017, 03:46:40 AM »

10/10

Interesting. What made you come to your senses?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2017, 05:59:59 AM »
« Edited: January 27, 2017, 07:59:11 AM by Torie »

I was listening to an interesting discussion that Bill Kristol had with this Harvard professor, that went on for about 90 minutes. One thing the professor said, is that when it came to jobs in the US, NAFTA was about a wash. What really hurt US manufacturing, was China joining the WTO.

So congratulations Donald. Beyond the human suffering that you will be causing, both in Mexico (jobs lost), and in the US (also jobs lost as companies that rely on Mexican imports for some of the input of their products to remain competitive are hurt, but also yes, higher prices for US consumers on some items), you have made a major first step in hurting the US economy. I think it might be time to cut back the percentage of my retirement money that is in stocks.

Man, this guy is such a dangerous demagogue. And erratic, and undisciplined.

I guess the silver lining, is that I assume that Congress will not agree to this insanity. But perhaps assuming sanity is itself rather reckless these days. It may be that making Mexico the whipping boy for stagnation/decline of the standard of living of those who used to earn way above the minimum wage, and now earn the minimum wage, or not much above it, or are not in the workforce at all, all of which Mexico has next to nothing to do with, is irresistible.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies