Trump announces 20% tariff on all Mexican imports to pay for wall (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:37:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump announces 20% tariff on all Mexican imports to pay for wall (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump announces 20% tariff on all Mexican imports to pay for wall  (Read 3745 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 26, 2017, 04:08:42 PM »

As posted in another thread not too long ago:

Trump just announced he's going to have Americans pay for the wall with higher cost of goods sold in America due to a 20% tariff on goods imported from Mexico. I don't think he realizes that though.

Exactly. Tariffs punish the middle and lower classes of the country into which the goods are being imported. Mexican workers/producers and American consumers are the ones who'll be hurt by this. So good job, President Trump. Way to make idiots believe Mexico is paying for the wall while slapping taxes on Americans.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 07:10:27 PM »

This mindset is abhorrent and a perfect example of the type of bellicosity and jingoism that stirs up resentments and initiates wars.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 07:11:54 PM »

Great, now we end up paying more for imported products just to finance a dumb wall that will do nothing. On top of this, we're risking a trade war, which would inflate prices further and hurt the economy.

Meanwhile, the Tweedledees are thinking that they're "punishing" Mexico, while actual Americans are having their money and financial stability siphoned for said dumb wall.

10/10

This is what always happens, without fail, whenever people turn to nationalism. Again and again and again. Yet, as we see, many people never ever learn anything.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 07:18:31 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2017, 07:20:45 PM by Jacobin American »

Nationalism, which is far distinct from patriotism, is a joke of an "ideology" that has killed millions and reeks of a lack of intellectual backing ... then again, self-described nationalists usually have a hard-on for such things, so you really can't insult them (think Allen from The Hangover).

Not being a psychologist or psychiatrist, I'm not certified to diagnose anyone. But it would certainly appear to me like many, if not most, nationalists are sociopaths or borderline sociopaths. They certainly don't have empathy for others, especially those outside their defined group, and are actively hostile to even the idea of the "other" being equally human.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 07:24:15 PM »

Great, now we end up paying more for imported products just to finance a dumb wall that will do nothing. On top of this, we're risking a trade war, which would inflate prices further and hurt the economy.

Meanwhile, the Tweedledees are thinking that they're "punishing" Mexico, while actual Americans are having their money and financial stability siphoned for said dumb wall.

10/10

This is what always happens, without fail, whenever people turn to nationalism. Again and again and again. Yet, as we see, many people never ever learn anything.

Have you ever tried pointing this out to anyone on Facebook or social media? They just basically call you a brainwashed commie. Like this sh**t is legit frightening.

I've been one of those people. I was part of the alt-right back in its earlier days. I know what these people are and how they think; I also know how sick they actually are. They need a good education (which they call "indoctrination") and interacting with people from cultures outside their little bubble (and no, claiming "I live in a multicultural area" isn't truly interacting with people from other cultures).
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 07:45:34 PM »

10/10

Have you ever tried pointing this out to anyone on Facebook or social media? They just basically call you a brainwashed commie. Like this sh**t is legit frightening.

I've been one of those people. I was part of the alt-right back in its earlier days. I know what these people are and how they think; I also know how sick they actually are. They need a good education (which they call "indoctrination") and interacting with people from cultures outside their little bubble (and no, claiming "I live in a multicultural area" isn't truly interacting with people from other cultures).

Same. I grew up as a Republican, and was until literally the primary season eliminated Kasich from contention. This isn't the party I knew.

I grew up in a lower working class family in North Florida, so I know Republican culture pretty well. It's not necessarily bad, nor are Republican voters. But there's a very large share of the GOP electorate who're dangerous and they now have almost a total monopoly of power over the party now. I voted for Romney in 2012 and have subsequently moved further left, no doubt, but the right-wing has become so much what I remember the alt-right being several years ago that it's scary. I hear in major publications and from high ranking officials the kind of rhetoric I'd read on blogs like Chateau Heartiste, Alternative Right, American Renaissance, and Taki's Magazine. Those who aren't familiar with the alt-right really don't realize how much the GOP now resembles that obscure internet movement.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies