How many deaths would have been an acceptable price for abolition of slavery?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:05:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  How many deaths would have been an acceptable price for abolition of slavery?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: How many deaths would have been an acceptable price for the abolition of chattel slavery?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: How many deaths would have been an acceptable price for abolition of slavery?  (Read 4702 times)
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2017, 08:58:05 PM »

I wasn't talking in an economic sense...

well, then, it's worse than I thought.  (actually, it was obvious that you weren't talking in an economic sense but I was being generous)  Since you're willing to bring it up:  If you're not measuring the economy of it, you must be trying to put a price on the intrinsic value of a human life vis-a-vis political goals. 

That's some serious Che Guevara shit right there.  ("¡¿Qué vale la vida de un hombre cuando está en peligro el futuro de la humanidad?!")  I'll wash my hands of this whole sordid business and leave it to the rest of you to figure out that price.

Believing that people should be pragmatic and try to reduce and avoid human suffering as much as possible is worse then valuing human lives merely by economic output? Your definition of reprehensible is f**ked up.

You do realize the most effective way to end human suffering is to kill all humans, right?

Death is kind of a bad thing, though. And it also ends all good things in life.

Why is death a bad thing? Dead people don't suffer (unless you believe in hell, which I don't think you do), so obviously it can't be on account of suffering.

An end to consciousness. Not existing is kind of awful. It prevents feeling anything. No love, no care, no pleasure, no drive. Nothing.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 09:24:50 PM »

I wasn't talking in an economic sense...

well, then, it's worse than I thought.  (actually, it was obvious that you weren't talking in an economic sense but I was being generous)  Since you're willing to bring it up:  If you're not measuring the economy of it, you must be trying to put a price on the intrinsic value of a human life vis-a-vis political goals. 

That's some serious Che Guevara shit right there.  ("¡¿Qué vale la vida de un hombre cuando está en peligro el futuro de la humanidad?!")  I'll wash my hands of this whole sordid business and leave it to the rest of you to figure out that price.

Believing that people should be pragmatic and try to reduce and avoid human suffering as much as possible is worse then valuing human lives merely by economic output? Your definition of reprehensible is f**ked up.

You do realize the most effective way to end human suffering is to kill all humans, right?

Death is kind of a bad thing, though. And it also ends all good things in life.

Why is death a bad thing? Dead people don't suffer (unless you believe in hell, which I don't think you do), so obviously it can't be on account of suffering.

An end to consciousness. Not existing is kind of awful. It prevents feeling anything. No love, no care, no pleasure, no drive. Nothing.
That's really logically inconsistent, just fyi.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 09:48:55 PM »

What about abortion?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2017, 07:26:25 PM »

What was the entire population of the slave states during the civil war? That would be my answer for anyone who refused to accept the abolition of slavery.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2017, 08:41:13 PM »

What's next? "How many deaths would have been an acceptable price for ending the Holocaust?"
mencken
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 09:22:12 AM »

What was the entire population of the slave states during the civil war? That would be my answer for anyone who refused to accept the abolition of slavery.

Including the slave population?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2017, 12:09:29 AM »

I just tore apart utilitarianism in the class I teach. I'm grateful I got this opportunity.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 03:49:34 AM »

I just tore apart utilitarianism in the class I teach. I'm grateful I got this opportunity.

You teach a class?
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2017, 09:44:01 AM »

More well, real, would be a question about how many deaths are worth it to make slavery end earlier. I mean, a billion deaths to make slavery end a week earlier, is not worth it, to concoct an extreme hypothetical.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2017, 05:44:54 PM »

You teach a class?

Sort of. I teach discussion sections for a class with a lecture+discussion format.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2017, 05:52:39 PM »

Yikes, that's a little harsh don't ya think? Don't get me wrong, I abhor slavery and it really is a dark mark on Southern (and American) history. But would killing every last man, woman and child in the South be worth ending it?
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 09:59:51 AM »

Really? How?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 11:15:39 AM »

Really? How?

I didn't have to do much, honestly. Mostly I just opened it up for discussion and the students came up with the most relevant remarks themselves. Occasionally I asked some follow-up questions to nudge them.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2017, 12:16:41 PM »

Really? How?

I didn't have to do much, honestly. Mostly I just opened it up for discussion and the students came up with the most relevant remarks themselves. Occasionally I asked some follow-up questions to nudge them.

I'm not convinced it was as much of a "tearing apart" as you think.

Or maybe actual utilitarianism isn't what I think it is. I don't put the most scrutiny into labels for this kind of thing.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2017, 09:49:15 PM »

I'm not enough of a utilitarian to justify taking someone else's life, which is what this question amounts to. If, for instance, I were to rephrase the question with the caveat that if your answer to this question is at least one life, then it is your life that will be taken first, people in this thread would be a lot less gung ho. Yet you are all willing to sacrifice other people's lives.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2017, 02:45:22 AM »

Or maybe actual utilitarianism isn't what I think it is. I don't put the most scrutiny into labels for this kind of thing.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Essentially, it's the theory that good consists in maximizing aggregate pleasure.

Most of my students could see what the problems with this theory are. I'm curious if you can.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »

I'm not enough of a utilitarian to justify taking someone else's life, which is what this question amounts to. If, for instance, I were to rephrase the question with the caveat that if your answer to this question is at least one life, then it is your life that will be taken first, people in this thread would be a lot less gung ho. Yet you are all willing to sacrifice other people's lives.

Yes, no one here would give up their own life, along with millions of others, for the saving of millions from slavery for hundreds of years.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2017, 05:02:05 PM »

Yikes, that's a little harsh don't ya think? Don't get me wrong, I abhor slavery and it really is a dark mark on Southern (and American) history. But would killing every last man, woman and child in the South be worth ending it?

Only those who continued forcibly resisting the abolition, of course. Otherwise it's genocide. But yeah, anyone who kept fighting and couldn't be contained by jail, I think it's reasonable.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2017, 10:00:09 PM »

Essentially, it's the theory that good consists in maximizing aggregate pleasure.

Most of my students could see what the problems with this theory are. I'm curious if you can.

You're aware that "pleasure" is a lot more broad then just food, sex, etc, right?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2017, 10:11:46 PM »

You're aware that "pleasure" is a lot more broad then just food, sex, etc, right?

Yes.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »

Yes.

So, tell me, what is your problem with it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2017, 08:08:22 PM »

Not that I'm big on discussion of "rights", but utilitarianism doesn't consider them, human dignity, or any of our other pre-modern occupations. Such things tend to get in the way of "progress" and March Toward the Future.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies