Trump regrets
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:51:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump regrets
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump regrets  (Read 1958 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2017, 08:29:13 PM »

These are always fun, even if they're totally cherry-picked, and there's probably a couple of people who are just attention-seekers. At the same time, it demonstrates some pretty unique ideologies, and perhaps explains some of the discrepancies between Trump's vote totals and his approval rating.

https://twitter.com/Trump_Regrets

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I particularly like this one:

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 08:48:19 PM »

And this hasn't happened in every election ever? The same miserable sad sacks buy into something with no comprehension of what they are voting for.

In the words of Huey Freeman, Hope...is irrational.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 09:11:30 PM »

And this hasn't happened in every election ever? The same miserable sad sacks buy into something with no comprehension of what they are voting for.

Oh, it does happen every election ever. And I enjoy reading it every election ever. Democrat, Republican, anybody.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 09:43:41 PM »

-Indeed. Though unlike Crumpets, I do not enjoy shattered hopes.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 03:59:58 PM »

Did they not read what he stood for? What he was campaigning on?

He's doing almost everything he said he would. Spare me your tears.

(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 04:53:47 PM »

Did they not read what he stood for? What he was campaigning on?

He's doing almost everything he said he would. Spare me your tears.

-You know he's doing far less than he said he would.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 06:11:08 PM »

All of those people are idiots and deserve whatever they get over the next 4 years.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 06:22:22 PM »

I mean, this sort of thing happens with every President. Trump's favorabilities in polls are actually up since the day he got elected.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 08:47:26 PM »

I mean, this sort of thing happens with every President. Trump's favorabilities in polls are actually up since the day he got elected.

That's because he's actually done what he said he'll do.  Even some of his opponents have a grudging respect for that.  No phony "reaching out" for Big Don!  And, to tell the truth, that's a bit refreshing.  Reagan rammed through his agenda and so did Obama.  Trump's just skipping the "reaching out" phoniness.
bouncycorn
Rookie
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 10:46:09 PM »

Funny twitter page there.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 07:15:36 PM »

I must confess my growing sense of regret.

I voted for Trump because I supported his America First approach to foreign involvement.  What I'm seeing is Trump, the Neocon, and this bugs me.

If it turns out that he has a different endgame planned out, I'll be relieved.  I'll hold my judgement.  But I'm not happy with the Neocon Trump of April, and that's something I really didn't see coming.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 08:16:55 PM »

I voted for Trump because I supported his America First approach to foreign involvement.  What I'm seeing is Trump, the Neocon, and this bugs me.

If it turns out that he has a different endgame planned out, I'll be relieved.  I'll hold my judgement.  But I'm not happy with the Neocon Trump of April, and that's something I really didn't see coming.

Not to be rude, but what exactly did you expect to happen? Trump always talked up how he was going to defeat ISIS so easily, and even if you believed that he had a specific strategy for dealing with them, shouldn't it have been clear that it would require heavy involvement in the Middle East? I didn't predict that he'd be as aggressive toward North Korea, so I can't blame you in that regard, but it seemed pretty clear that he was going to go after the Middle East.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 08:35:41 PM »

"You've been Hoodwinked, baby!"
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 08:19:25 PM »

I agree with you on this.  I was very upset with the Syria strikes, but I still am holding out hope that he will keep with his social moderation and economic populism.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 08:23:45 PM »

Not to be rude, but what exactly did you expect to happen?Trump always talked up how he was going to defeat ISIS so easily, and even if you believed that he had a specific strategy for dealing with them, shouldn't it have been clear that it would require heavy involvement in the Middle East? I didn't predict that he'd be as aggressive toward North Korea, so I can't blame you in that regard, but it seemed pretty clear that he was going to go after the Middle East.

I highlighted the first sentence because it is a fair question.  In a way, I'm in the reverse situation of conservative Southern White Democrats who voted for Carter in 1976.  They had hoped that Carter would have governed as a conservative, and he was a more conservative Democrat than any other since Grover Cleveland, but he was elected by liberals, and his Presidency was a moderately liberal Presidency, given who voted for him.  In that regard, I would expect Trump to be moderately conservative, with deviations in the area of being anti-neocon and in being in favor of some domestic spending aimed at building infrastructure.  (Needed Infrastructure, to say the least.) 

I did not expect the level of involvement in foreign crises Trump has ratcheted up.  I'm OK with the Syrian strike to the degree that it was a gesture needed to make a statement against the use of chemical weapons, but I question whether or not it's going to stop there.  I hope it does, because Trump would NOT have been elected without the support of certain Democrats and Independents who viewed Hillary as a Neocon who would further embroil us in foreign involvements. 

I'm willing to give this a chance.  Trump is, after all, a "negotiator", and poor negotiating is, indeed, the cause of many of our problems with trade and foreign treaties.  The solution to this, however, is not NEW war guarantees to "our allies".  Our nation cannot afford to promise every nation on Earth a war guarantee when our vital interests are not at stake, and we cannot enjoy prosperity and continue to pay for the defenses of NATO members and our Far East allies (Japan and South Korea).  It is the "America First" principles that Trump campaigned on.  He needs not become bewitched by his enemies in the War Party, but he's at risk for just that happening.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 08:33:35 PM »

That's because he's actually done what he said he'll do.  Even some of his opponents have a grudging respect for that.  No phony "reaching out" for Big Don!  And, to tell the truth, that's a bit refreshing.  Reagan rammed through his agenda and so did Obama.  Trump's just skipping the "reaching out" phoniness.

I note the incongruity between my two statements.  Trump has kept his promise on style moreso than substance, and the promises he's kept are the ones that were the most in line with recent Republican traditions (tax cuts, roll back regulations, nominees like Gorsuch).  These are the easy ones to keep that keep Trump in the good graces of the GOP. 

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 04:14:19 AM »

Who exactly expected him to be that different from a run of the mill Republican President in practice? Immigration and trade were the two only areas he seriously diverged from past Republicans (aside from bashing the war in Iraq).

His coalition, donors, and the like are comprised of traditional Republicans and conservatives. There is no serious altright intellectual, donor, or grassroots movement and nor is there a true altright presence outside the White House. In fact I'm sort of relieved that Trump is turning out far more conventional than I thought he would be.

I wouldn't have voted for him still (the Muslim ban, the racism, and the Russians were too difficult for me to surmount) but he's turning out to be vastly more conventional. As I've said if it wasn't for the aforementioned issues this is a Trump I would've voted for.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 01:14:26 PM »

This is my absolute favorite post on that twitter:

"Economic anxiety"
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 02:39:37 PM »

Not to be rude, but what exactly did you expect to happen?Trump always talked up how he was going to defeat ISIS so easily, and even if you believed that he had a specific strategy for dealing with them, shouldn't it have been clear that it would require heavy involvement in the Middle East? I didn't predict that he'd be as aggressive toward North Korea, so I can't blame you in that regard, but it seemed pretty clear that he was going to go after the Middle East.

I highlighted the first sentence because it is a fair question.  In a way, I'm in the reverse situation of conservative Southern White Democrats who voted for Carter in 1976.  They had hoped that Carter would have governed as a conservative, and he was a more conservative Democrat than any other since Grover Cleveland, but he was elected by liberals, and his Presidency was a moderately liberal Presidency, given who voted for him.  In that regard, I would expect Trump to be moderately conservative, with deviations in the area of being anti-neocon and in being in favor of some domestic spending aimed at building infrastructure.  (Needed Infrastructure, to say the least.) 

I did not expect the level of involvement in foreign crises Trump has ratcheted up.  I'm OK with the Syrian strike to the degree that it was a gesture needed to make a statement against the use of chemical weapons, but I question whether or not it's going to stop there.  I hope it does, because Trump would NOT have been elected without the support of certain Democrats and Independents who viewed Hillary as a Neocon who would further embroil us in foreign involvements. 

I'm willing to give this a chance.  Trump is, after all, a "negotiator", and poor negotiating is, indeed, the cause of many of our problems with trade and foreign treaties.  The solution to this, however, is not NEW war guarantees to "our allies".  Our nation cannot afford to promise every nation on Earth a war guarantee when our vital interests are not at stake, and we cannot enjoy prosperity and continue to pay for the defenses of NATO members and our Far East allies (Japan and South Korea).  It is the "America First" principles that Trump campaigned on.  He needs not become bewitched by his enemies in the War Party, but he's at risk for just that happening.

No offense, but  just how did you interpret all the times he wanted to "bomb the oil, take the oil" in the Middle East exactly?

I dunno about you, but to me, that made the dichotomy a pretty obvious one between a Realpolitik and Chickenhawk.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 07:54:06 PM »

No offense, but  just how did you interpret all the times he wanted to "bomb the oil, take the oil" in the Middle East exactly?

I dunno about you, but to me, that made the dichotomy a pretty obvious one between a Realpolitik and Chickenhawk.
I viewed the "Take the oil!" aspect as a strategy for occupying Iraq, given that we chose to go in there. 

I'm still waiting and seeing.  If we're going to have boots on the ground a la Bush 43 in Syria, I'll probably have seen enough.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies