The Porcupine: A voice for liberty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:16:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Porcupine: A voice for liberty
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Porcupine: A voice for liberty  (Read 1322 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2017, 08:52:22 PM »
« edited: February 13, 2017, 02:19:37 PM by Justice Jbrase »

The Porcupine Est. 2010

Atlasia's historic source of pro-liberty reporting has been silent long enough. Expect more in the coming days.

Now Hiring:
Reporter on Regional Affairs and Elections
Reporter on Federal Affairs and Elections
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:44:33 AM »

An Interview With The President

Q1. So Mr. President, thank you for gracing the Porcupine with your presence. What in your opinion is the greatest accomplishment during your tenure thus far and what is the greatest challenge you feel faces Atlasia?

I am glad that you have brought it back. I actually ran across it in a search the other day and said to myself it would be great if it came back and the fact that it did makes me very happy. We need more of the Press and we need it actively engaged. I encourage your paper to participate in asking question in the White House Press Room

Well the greatest challenge initially was Fremont and I think my greatest accomplishment so far has been working with the Governors including Governor Truman and VP Rpryor to ensure a stable gov't was formed and that actions were taken to ensure long term activity and stability both in Fremont and in all three regions generally. I have met with the Governors twice and look forward to doing so again in the near future, to promote further activity and engagement, while respecting regional authority and regional rights in doing so.

Since then, I think what gives me most satisfaction is the way Foreign Policy is driving action by the National Security Council. This is incorporating action by the GM and the Administration in a manner that I have sought for nearly a decade. A dynamic interaction between these institutions and then with the involvement of the public like with the Press Room above where both press and citizens can ask questions.

The greatest challenge I think is to promote that interaction between institutions in Atlasia, but also to integrate newer members into the game and into these functions. This is fundamentally what I believe a Welcoming Atlasia stands for, a game where new people are encouraged, supported and mentored as to what all can be done in the game. This is important in promoting and enlarging the Press, restoring activity long term in Fremont and promoting activity in the game as a whole. Like how the impact of immigration in real life can drive economic growth, newer players can drive activity if they are engaged immediately and not left to drift away.

Q2. Currently there is a constitutional amendment that has passed the House and is awaiting action by the Senate that would prohibit conscription and place limitations on prison labor. What are your thoughts on it?

I think that conscription is a terrible thing and would like to be in a place where we never ever have to use it. My inclination would be to never use it. But I don't know what tomorrow will bring and therefore I would prefer to keep it perhaps as an emergency measure subject to an extreme margin of passage.

As for prison labor, I support the idea of prison reform. However with the wording of these amendments, I fear it might make prison itself unconstitutional since in my view prison is a form of involuntary servitude by definition, and I think that is the origin of the clause creating an exception for those convicted through due process. I think many support prison over the death penalty and so you run into a big problem with capital offenses especially. I don't think that was intended by the sponsors though.

Q3. Please explain why in your opinion why taxation is theft, necessary or not.

Well taxation is a necessary evil. As Thomas Paine so eloquently stated in "Common Sense":

"For were the impulses of conscience clear, uniform and irresistibly obeyed, man would need no other lawgiver; but that not being the case, he finds it necessary to surrender up a part of his property to furnish means for the protection of the rest;...Wherefore, security being the true design and end of government, it unanswerably follows that whatever form thereof appears most likely to ensure it to us, with the least expense and greatest benefit, is preferable to all others."

Whatever gov't does and that should be regarded with great care, I believe gov't should strive to do so in the most efficient way possible that achieves the objective with the least cost burden. This applies not just to taxable money, but also the cost of inflation on money and people's livelihoods and also the impact of regulatory burdens. All actions by the gov't should be taken with a acknowledgement of the costs in all manner of ways and then with the question posed, is this "the least expense, for the greatest benefit".

Q4. I tend to believe in two truths regarding mankind. That things are always improving, and that people will always believe they are getting worse. How optimistic are you towards geo-political trends globally in the near future as we strive to keep the democratic peace that has maintained since WW2?

I am concerned that efforts need to be made to preserve the progress. Remember that while things appear to be always improving there is no natural drive in that direction and backsliding is always possible simply because human beings are flawed and there is a tendency to make bad choices and decisions, some of the time. I am optimistic that people will continue to stand up and stand together to work to preserve peace and harmony among nations and my administration stands united with those who are striving to do just that. I don't think that can only happen with one pattern of global organization, I think nations like Great Britain can leave the EU as they voted to, but stay in NATO and continue to advance this even though the nature of the relationship changes, the relationship remains.

Q5. What are your thoughts on the work being done towards sweeping reform in the South in the constitutional task force?

Building on my response in the first question, I am committed towards helping the regions engage in activities that bring stability and activity and therefore I am both encouraged and supportive of those efforts and look forward to seeing them in action. It is my view that these changes should involve as many people within a region as possible and that is why I recommended to Governor Wells that he expand their renaming project to include more citizens. I would encourage the South to do likewise at some stage to use this as an opportunity to bring forward less active Southern citizens, which could lead to them running for office and getting involved in other ways.

Q6. What are your plans post Presidency?

Right now my thoughts are geared towards getting stuff working and getting more institutions active that were slipping or falling out of function before, be it Congress, the regions, Foreign Policy etc. I am committed to continuing these tasks for as long as I am President and there will be plenty of time to consider what comes once I leave office, whenever that may be.

On that note I would say that there is an imminent anouncement coming soon.

Thank you for your time.

And Thank you Justice Jbrase, for havine me and for reviving your news organization.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 01:11:27 PM »

Breaking news on the Presidential race

Rumors have been swirling of the recent development in the presidential campaign as Southern Governor DFWlibertylover has suddenly suspended his run for the White House. Leaked sources however are telling us that Labor running mate Southern Gothic had intended to be on an independent ticket with DFW and after being whipped into line by party leadership joined NeverAgain's campaign. It is unclear at this time what, if any, affect this will have on the Labor camp. This may be seen as a net positive for President Yankee who is facing a steep re-election challenge and now has one less challenger to worry about.

Our analysts in Houston are currently giving NeverAgain a 65% chance of winning, with a final round projection of 53.5% - 46.5%. This of course may change in the days to come.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 02:35:46 PM »

The race continues to develop

Today we see Maxwell enter the race for the White House, certainly deversifying the race. Among other things his platform seems to include nationalization of certain industries, ending home schooling, and the secession of Vermont. While The Porcupine will always appreciate more ideas being thrown into the dialogue, and every state in every region should have the right of self determination, we are alarmed at his platform planks that would swell Federal power at the expense of the individual and free market. Adding to an already interesting mix of candidates, we look forward to watching to see how much traction Maxwell can obtain and what kind of left wing coalition he can build.

In other news, research indicates the death of our Sun is more likely to take place before the South moves forward with its constitutional reform.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 07:04:15 PM »

An interview with Leinad

The Porcupine: Thank you for sitting down with The Porcupine

Leinad: Thanks for having me here! I look forward to the interview.

Q1. You currently represent the Southern people in the Senate. Going forward do you have any special legislative goals you hope to achieve this term?

L:Working on taxation and budgetary reforms is one thing I'd like to do. Unfortunately many ideas will need to be watered down to get through a left-wing Senate--so abolishing the income tax and entire government agencies will probably have to wait Sad--but fortunately these are the types of left-wingers who are willing to find common ground. Also legislation constraining the government when it comes to spying on people, and a constitutional amendment I'm about to introduce that will fix one of the sillier oversights from the ConCon. I'll probably think of some more things over the coming weeks, and I'm open to any suggestions.

If I was not exercising self-control (federalist, normal) I would be introducing a bill to allow GMO foods everywhere in Atlasia, in order to repeal what happened in Fremont. With regions like the North and Fremont, being in favor of regional sovereignty can be quite annoying.

Q2.Taxation is theft. Do you agree or are you a commie? Explain.

L: Of course! See, if I, as a normal person, took money from you...

*reaches into Jbrase's pocket and takes $20*

...I would be a criminal. But...

*puts on an "IRS" hat*

...if I worked for the IRS...

*reaches into Jbrase's pocket and takes $20*

...you would be a criminal if you resisted.

Q3.You made history when you proved an ideological libertarian could elected President. What are your thoughts on the current administration and do you feel DFW can rise to occasion against against Labor's NeverAgain?

L:I think Yankee is doing quite well. We don't agree on everything, but we agree on a fair amount. One thing that I didn't do as well in my term is that I was too, shall we say, "hands off." I like the idea of a more powerful legislative branch from an ideological standpoint, but in practice we have seen that it's very easy for legislatures to fall dormant if the executive is not playing a large role. Yankee has done a good job pushing congressional debate forward, not to mention getting the National Security Council up and running behind the scenes. For that he has undoubtedly been a successful President.

I think dfw can win, but in all honesty it won't be easy. I think he's obviously the better candidate, but unfortunately that doesn't go far in Atlasia, where it's mostly based on registration advantages.

Q4.You are a federal official but you have had much experience on the regional level as well. Which do you believe will happen first, that the Southern Constitutional Task-force will resume activity and finish it's work or our Sun will reach super-nova?

L:I wear many hats. Probably too many. The Southern Constitutional Task-Force will definitely continue, but I'm also PPT and Federalist Party Vice-Chair, so it quite clearly fell to the back burner of the hats--not an excuse for my poor performance as Chair of that, rather an explanation. (And yes, I have hats on burners. I have soup in them. Don't judge.)

Q5. What future plans do you have for either seeking another Senate term or seeking other office?

L:My plan is definitely to run for another Senate term. Of course in May 2016 my plan was to run for the Senate in June, but I ran for President instead, so, obviously plans change. But as of now I have no intention to leave the Senate.

Q6.  In 1000 words or less can you explain to our readers why the Dallas Cowboys are not "Atlasia's Team" and why that title belongs to the Packers.

L: I Leinad, who totally wrote this himself, do here and now declare for the world to know that the Green Bay Packers and the Chicago Cubs collectively make up the two greatest teams in the history of sports.

We thank Leinad for his time and request he give back the $40 he robbed.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 02:39:48 AM »

There is a difference between dragging House members to the floor at gunpoint "to vote" and dragging House members to floor at gun point and telling them "how to vote".

The latter is matter violating separation of powers and destroying democracy, the former is a matter of getting the job done.

I would never engage in the later, I engage in the former almost daily.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 09:56:08 PM »

Keep up the coverage.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 10:38:50 PM »

Presidential Election Edition, February 2017

Therefore you kings of men, be wise, be warned, you rulers of the Earth.
Psalm 2:10

As this election cycle draws to a close, regardless of who becomes President we hear at The Porcupine would just like to say the following helpful tips that we hope will lead to a productive and successful presidency.

1. More laws on the books does not mean Atlasia is not always a good thing, in fact The Porcupine recommends devoting more time to repealing bad law than advancing good law.

2. Taxation is theft. The Porcupine is not anarchist, but we do recommend it being used as little as necessary.

3. It is pop, not soda.

4. Leggings are not pants.

5. We understand that Ron Swanson is a liberal parody of what they think a libertarian is, nonetheless he should be looked to as an example of leading this great nation.

Best of luck in your term.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 03:18:28 PM »

As if I needed any more proof libertarianism is evil
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 04:04:23 PM »

I assure you this is not the libertarian view but rather the corrupt Houstonian views, Houston is evil, I agree Wink
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 01:26:06 PM »

An Interview with Enduro

Hello, glad you can spare some time for The Porcupine.

Thanks for having me.

First off, how would you define liberty and what is it's source if there is one?

A state of freedom for each person to make a path for their own lives. It's source comes from God, I believe, and can only be taken away if we give it away.

Law and justice are not the same thing. However they ideally go so hand in hand that people often confuse them to the point where things such as slavery can exist under the law and yet be considered "just" as it is under the law. In your opinion do citizens of Atlasia have the right, if not duty, to disobey unjust law?

It's not a right, or a duty, it's an obligation as human beings. When the state turns against the people, the people should end the state's ability to govern them. If we are a moral nation like we claim to be; we won't let government dictate ethics for us.

Pop or soda?

I always used soda when I was little, but I think calling it pop might be fun.

If immoral, if not downright evil, actions are carried out by the state, is it moral to participate in the state?

No. Unless, of course, you truly believe in those evil acts as a good decision.

What do you see as the greatest challenge facing Atlasia today?

Actvity, you can't have a game if no one plays it. I think the best way to increase activity is to include more role play, and have less petty arguments. Recently, I've introduced a couple ideas for more RP. Reelected or not; I will pursue those ideas.

Thank you for your time

I want to say "thanks for having me", but that would be redundant. So...
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 03:32:18 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2017, 06:36:32 PM by Rep-Elect OneJ_ »

Alright then, I'd like to be Reporter of Regional Affairs and Elections.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 05:20:30 PM »

Alright then JJ, I'd like to be Reporter of Regional Affairs and Elections.

The job is yours
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 07:41:12 PM »

Interview with Prime Minister Truman

Thank you everyone coming to the Porcupine. I'm truly honored to be hired by Jbrase becoming the first Reporter of Regional Affairs and Elections since the reporting company has resurrected. This is my first contribution to the Porcupine.

*Interview was held on February 25, 2017

Q1: What is it like becoming the first Prime Minister of the Commonwealth of Fremont?

Truman: I am legitimately excited by this new Constitution of ours, and I hope the enthusiasm proves contagious. We're making history here: never before in thirteen years has any region attempted to do what we're doing now in this experiment with parliamentary democracy. For a regionalist, this is a shining example of how local and regional governments act as the laboratories of our republic. I'll be honest: it is going to take a lot of sweat and good, old-fashioned leadership to pull this off, but I'm looking forward to the challenge and thankful to have a extraordinary group of Atlasians in the House of Commons to work with.

Q2: What are the successes during your tenure in Fremont?

Truman: It's really astounding to see how much we have accomplished in the last six weeks when you consider where we were at the time of my election. Back, I said that there were two main things we needed to accomplish before the end of my first term: we needed overhaul the regional government from the bottom up and replace that horrifying First Constitution, and we needed to restore activity to the legislature. We have now done both of those things. The Second Constitution was easily ratified with multi-partisan support; of course, I've touched on the significance of that victory already. What I'm really proud of is the extent to which our regional legislators have risen to the occasion. The last session of the Assembly passed more bills than all previous sessions combined; those bills were introduced not just by myself, but also by Speaker 1184AZ and Legislator Simossad, both of whom will be joining the House of Representatives next week. It's been really inspiring to work with them, and with Legislator RFayette, and I'm hopeful the new Commons can build on their good work.

Q3: What are the challenges during your tenure in Fremont?

Truman: Strange as it sounds, we've got to get the Commons arguing again. In the last session, three fourths of regional offices were held by Laborites, and so you saw a lot of bills passing the Assembly with hardly any debate. That's not the worst problem to have from my perspective, as it made it easy to tackle important issues like constitutional reform, but too much unanimity can lead to stagnation and unrepresentative government. I personally recruited conservatives to run in the last election for this very reason: a sustainable democracy requires a vigorous contest of ideas, and that's something I intend to focus on for the next four months. The new parliament is split 3-2 between liberals and conservatives, so hopefully there will be enough discord to make things interesting without bringing progress to a grinding halt.

Q4: What improvements do you want to see in Atlasia as a whole?

Q5: What are your thoughts on Atlasia having a different structure (Parliamentary, unicameral, etc.)?

*Truman: Speaking as the father of Fremontian parliamentarianism, I absolutely think we can learn from parliamentary democracies around the world, and I hope Fremont will prove a positive example of that fact. On the other hand, a major overhaul of our national government is not something to be entered into lightly. It took our republic's brightest minds almost a year to write and ratify the Fourth Constitution, and this was at a time when the public was largely in agreement about the changes needing to be made. I'm always open to new ideas, and I've been intrigued by some of the proposals put forward by Lumine and others; but reform only matters if we play the game we create, and so my priority in the coming months will be to revive the contest of ideas that, frankly, has fallen dormant of late.

*Here, Truman pretty much combined Q4 and Q5.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 01:54:03 PM »

The Porcupine Whole-heartedly Endorses Movement to Rename The South

Recently public debate has begun over whether or not to restore the region's name to something greater than simply "The South" or "The Southern Región." Currently there seems to be three real options:

Option 1: Status Quo
Assuming the forces of evil prevail, who would see a glorious region with rich history fall behind its sister regions, The South would remain as is.

Option 2: Jefferson
The emmediat pros would be honoring a man who helped shape classically liberal philosophy, and who is tied to Virginian history. It most certainly checks off the requirement of not just being some bland direction which is the main problem with the current name. The drawbacks however are that Jefferson was a slave owner which is of course a stain on his reputation which would be then linked to the region, and that Jefferson is part of the history of a nation that's not in the Atlasia universe. Atlasia is not the USA and does not share its history fully, including the founders.

Option 3: Restoration.
This of course would mean the restoration of the Imperial Dominion of the South and ideally the Emperor as head of state. This bold move would cement the south's rightful  in Atlasia as first amongst equals. Better yet would be the Imperial Dominion of Jefferson.

The Porcupine wishes Godspeed to those fighting to restor the South to it's former glory.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 04:21:10 PM »

I am happy to accept the Porcupine's debate invitation. Thank you very much.
diptheriadan

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 04:41:36 PM »

What and who are you debating?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 04:44:14 PM »

What and who are you debating?

With other contenders for the chamber.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 05:15:16 PM »

so when's this debate going to be?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp