The ban just enacted includes legal US residents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 12:42:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The ban just enacted includes legal US residents
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: The ban just enacted includes legal US residents  (Read 4314 times)
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »

The only problem I have with this temporary shutdown is that it does not go anywhere near far enough to be useful. It should cover terrorism hotspots such as Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan, as well, at minimum.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 03:54:33 PM »

The only problem I have with this temporary shutdown is that it does not go anywhere near far enough to be useful. It should cover terrorism hotspots such as Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan, as well, at minimum.
Pakistan definitely needs to be on the list.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2017, 04:04:14 PM »

Pakistan definitely needs to be on the list.
Sometimes I forget why I people ignore you, then you post stuff like this and it comes back to me.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2017, 04:06:33 PM »

Of all the Muslim terrorists who have successfully attacked the United States, none of them would've been caught by this ban.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2017, 04:07:24 PM »

Okay, I admit banning green card holders is going too far. Hopefully, this policy is "clarified" in the coming days.

JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 04:15:16 PM »

This is not the country I recognize growing up in. I don't know what this is, but I've never been more disgusted with anything political than I am with this administration. If anyone doubts we're quickly transforming into an Erdogan/Putin style state, they need to remove their head from their ass.
Eharding

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 04:16:28 PM »

Of all the Muslim terrorists who have successfully attacked the United States, none of them would've been caught by this ban.

-Pretty much, which is why I think it should be vastly expanded.
Eharding

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 04:19:12 PM »

This is not the country I recognize growing up in. I don't know what this is, but I've never been more disgusted with anything political than I am with this administration. If anyone doubts we're quickly transforming into an Erdogan/Putin style state, they need to remove their head from their ass.

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1921-1936/immigration-act

Terrorist attacks by random Muslims occurring in the U.S. every other week probably was not a part of the country you recognize growing up in, either. Trump didn't create that. Reagan/Clinton/Bush/Obama did.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2017, 04:28:40 PM »

If a person fled the Iran in the 70's or 80's to escape the mullahs, say to the U.K. or France, that person would still have Iranian citizenship and would be barred from stepping foot on US soil.

Completely stupid.

My cousin fits that mold exactly. As of now, he can't visit us because he's a dual UK-Iranian citizen.

What the  is going on here?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2017, 04:30:08 PM »

So if France is added to "the List" somehow this means I can't leave anymore or else I'll never be allowed back. Woohoo.

90 days is not "never" FWIW
Oh why don't you go back to your masturbatory fantasies about flogging Jesus, you fool.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2017, 04:30:29 PM »

So, how many laws/ parts of the constitution have been violated through these actions?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2017, 04:33:51 PM »

Terrorist attacks by random Muslims occurring in the U.S. every other week probably was not a part of the country you recognize growing up in, either. Trump didn't create that. Reagan/Clinton/Bush/Obama did.

I know very well about the history of US immigration laws - all of which were disgustingly racist and xenophobic. And you can stop that stupid, ridiculous, and dangerous lie about "terrorist attacks by random Muslims occurring in the US every other week" because it's a LIE. Lies exist; they aren't "alternative facts," they're lies. You told a lie. You're a flat-out liar and should be ashamed of yourself. Terrorist attacks perpetrated by Islamist extremists are rare and far less of a threat than terrorism by crazy white men. An infinitesimally small number of Muslims ever commit a terrorist activity and an incredibly small number support such extremism. The number one target of that extremism is other Muslims that those fanatics within the Salafi movement have labeled Kafirs because they do not recognize their Shahada as legitimate. You are little better than the extremists you and your President seek to block from our country, and this policy will do nothing to stop terrorism. It'll just add more fuel to their fire and discourage the Muslim community from reporting suspected extremists to the government. Brilliant!

Gawd, I have to seriously bite my tongue dealing with you people.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2017, 04:34:32 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2017, 04:36:39 PM by realisticidealist »

So if France is added to "the List" somehow this means I can't leave anymore or else I'll never be allowed back. Woohoo.

90 days is not "never" FWIW
Oh why don't you go back to your masturbatory fantasies about flogging Jesus, you fool.

You think it'll be permanent? The policy as it stands now might not last the week. Even strong Trump supporters aren't standing for this.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2017, 04:38:51 PM »

I hope every Republican appreciates the work Charlie Dent does to prove you're not ALL insane:

[quote]I urge the admin to halt enforcement of this order, until a more thoughtful and deliberate policy can be instated.[/url]

Dent's district is 0.69% Syrian. The second most of any CD held by a Republican (NY-11 is 1st).
Eharding

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2017, 04:39:59 PM »

I know very well about the history of US immigration laws - all of which were disgustingly racist and xenophobic. And you can stop that stupid, ridiculous, and dangerous lie about "terrorist attacks by random Muslims occurring in the US every other week" because it's a LIE. Lies exist; they aren't "alternative facts," they're lies. You told a lie. You're a flat-out liar and should be ashamed of yourself. Terrorist attacks perpetrated by Islamist extremists are rare and far less of a threat than terrorism by crazy white men. An infinitesimally small number of Muslims ever commit a terrorist activity and an incredibly small number support such extremism. The number one target of that extremism is other Muslims that those fanatics within the Salafi movement have labeled Kafirs because they do not recognize their Shahada as legitimate. You are little better than the extremists you and your President seek to block from our country, and this policy will do nothing to stop terrorism. It'll just add more fuel to their fire and discourage the Muslim community from reporting suspected extremists to the government. Brilliant!

-Every other month, then. Still far more than when you grew up.

"Terrorist attacks perpetrated by Islamist extremists are rare and far less of a threat than terrorism by crazy white men."

-Compare the death count from both in 2016. Who's lying here?

What happened to anarchist terrorism when the 1924 immigration act was signed into law?
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2017, 04:40:22 PM »

Is the Trump administration stupid? This is something that would appear to be monumentally unpopular.

Looks like they are sending back Syrian Christians too:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wew lad.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2017, 04:58:24 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2017, 05:04:25 PM by Crumpets »

-Every other month, then. Still far more than when you grew up.

"Terrorist attacks perpetrated by Islamist extremists are rare and far less of a threat than terrorism by crazy white men."

-Compare the death count from both in 2016. Who's lying here?

What happened to anarchist terrorism when the 1924 immigration act was signed into law?

Just to clarify: Wikipedia lists four terrorist attacks in the US in 2016 - the Pulse nightclub shooting, the mall stabbing in St. Cloud, MN, the bombings in New York and New Jersey, and the car-ramming and stabbing at OSU. All four were committed by Muslim extremists, but only one resulted in any deaths besides the perpetrator.

Meanwhile, in 2015, the numbers were a bit different: Five terrorist attacks - the Muhammad drawings attack in Texas, the Charleston shooting, the Chattanooga shootings, the Colorado Planned Parenthood shooting, and the San Bernardino shooting. That's three by Muslim extremists and two by white right-wingers. Furthermore, one of the Islamic extremist attacks (the Texas shootings) resulted in no deaths.

So to summarize, over the last two years:
7 attacks by Muslim extremists (Averaging one attack every 3.2 months, 10.2 people killed per attack)
2 attacks by Right-wing extremists (Averaging one attack per year, 6.0 people killed per attack)
An average of one attack about every 3 months.

In total, Muslim extremists killed 72 people over the span of 2015-2016.
Meanwhile, right-wing extremists killed 12 people over the same span.

Now, here's an important piece of information - these are the birth places of all the attackers:
7 - United States
1 - Afghanistan
1 - Kenya
1 - Kuwait
1 - Pakistan
1 - Somalia

So, in total, one perpetrator would theoretically have been stopped by this ban. 3 more would have been stopped by an "expanded" ban to cover all Muslim-majority nations. That still leaves 8 which would have gone completely unstopped.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2017, 05:08:09 PM »

Large protests occurring outside JFK airport demanding the release of the detained people in the airport.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2017, 05:10:06 PM »

We're in for four years (at least) of chaos.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2017, 05:13:51 PM »

Protestors shouting "No Ban, No Registry, F*** White Supremacy" outside of JFK
Fusionmunster

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2017, 05:14:28 PM »

How long till a lawsuit stops this?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2017, 05:14:34 PM »

That probably won't help anything.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2017, 05:15:04 PM »

It appears as if the White House gave absolutely no warning to DHS this policy was coming, and (and this is being backed up by anonymous sources) that DHS had little to no input as to how the order should be written or applied.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2017, 05:16:36 PM »

What the *** does it hurt? If you want to tssk tssk protesters for using foul language to attack this legitimately bad policy, then you need a wake up call.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2017, 05:18:51 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2017, 05:20:25 PM by realisticidealist »

What the *** does it hurt? If you want to tssk tssk protesters for using foul language to attack this legitimately bad policy, then you need a wake up call.

I've been critical of this policy pretty much all day. Not sure what your problem is.

It hurts in that the protestors are completely missing the point by injecting racial BS into this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies