The ban just enacted includes legal US residents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:56:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The ban just enacted includes legal US residents
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: The ban just enacted includes legal US residents  (Read 4284 times)
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2017, 05:21:46 PM »

Protestors shouting "No Ban, No Registry, F*** White Supremacy" outside of JFK

That probably won't help anything.

What the *** does it hurt? If you want to tssk tssk protesters for using foul language to attack this legitimately bad policy, then you need a wake up call.

I've been critical of this policy pretty much all day. Not sure what your problem is.

It hurts in that the protestors are completely missing the point by injecting racial BS into this.
If that is what your worried about you really need to get a grip.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2017, 05:21:53 PM »

Large protests occurring outside JFK airport demanding the release of the detained people in the airport.

Good for them! I wrote my Congressman and both of my Senators a few minutes ago. I hope everyone else here who's outraged by this will write theirs as well. Sitting around complaining on an internet forum certainly won't do anything; writing/calling our elected officials and protesting might.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2017, 05:23:34 PM »

What the *** does it hurt? If you want to tssk tssk protesters for using foul language to attack this legitimately bad policy, then you need a wake up call.

I've been critical of this policy pretty much all day. Not sure what your problem is.

It hurts in that the protestors are completely missing the point by injecting racial BS into this.

I'd say a blanket ban on Muslims is "racial BS".
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »

If you want to turn off potential allies for the sake of moral signalling, be my guest. Doesn't help anyone who can't get home.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2017, 05:24:55 PM »

I'd say a blanket ban on Muslims is "racial BS".

Good thing such a ban doesn't exist. There's plenty to oppose without being hyperbolic.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2017, 05:25:16 PM »

Governor T-Mac being a huge FF and actually standing up against this... haven't heard many other elected officials rebuke this yet.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2017, 05:27:13 PM »

The ban just enacted also happens to include Omid Nouripour, dual German-Iranian citizen, Green MP, and deputy chair of the German-American Parliamentary Friendship Group in the Bundestag.

At the speed Trump acts, I wonder with which countries in the world the United States will still maintain diplomatic relations four years from now... maybe the UK, Israel, and Russia?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2017, 05:28:18 PM »

The only problem I have with this temporary shutdown is that it does not go anywhere near far enough to be useful. It should cover terrorism hotspots such as Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan, as well, at minimum.
Pakistan definitely needs to be on the list.
Sometimes I forget why I people ignore you, then you post stuff like this and it comes back to me.
I literally don't understand what you're trying to say but I have noticed a decrease in stalking on your part. Thanks Trump!
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2017, 05:30:27 PM »

If you want to turn off potential allies for the sake of moral signalling, be my guest. Doesn't help anyone who can't get home.
I'll go with what MLK said on this subject.  The White Moderate is the one who most stands in the way of progress.  One who detests the use of tactics in fighting for equality is no help to the movement, only a deterrent.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2017, 05:30:32 PM »

Perriello and Northam both put out statements basically calling the ban un-American.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2017, 05:31:06 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2017, 05:34:00 PM by realisticidealist »

The ban just enacted also happens to include Omid Nouripour, dual German-Iranian citizen, Green MP, and deputy chair of the German-American Parliamentary Friendship Group in the Bundestag.

At the speed Trump acts, I wonder with which countries in the world the United States will still maintain diplomatic relations four years from now... maybe the UK, Israel, and Russia?

Diplomats, foreign officials, and similar were exempt.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »

Perriello and Northam both put out statements basically calling the ban un-American.

Yeah all VA Dems decided to put out unilateral statements just now.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2017, 05:35:27 PM »

I'll go with what MLK said on this subject.  The White Moderate is the one who most stands in the way of progress.  One who detests the use of tactics in fighting for equality is no help to the movement, only a deterrent.
So you are injecting racial bs into this then?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2017, 05:35:47 PM »

British Tory MP Nadhim Zahawi, who was born in Iraq but has renounced his Iraqi citizenship, says he and his wife are both affected by the ban.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2017, 05:38:10 PM »

So you are injecting racial bs into this then?
Nah your god man did that when he put this disgrace on paper.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2017, 05:38:22 PM »

Media in Germany say otherwise.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2017, 05:40:41 PM »

Media in Germany say otherwise.

Possible he didn't get a G-2 visa or whatever is allowed.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2017, 05:41:52 PM »

'What's the big deal? It's only 90 days' isn't critical.  It's excuse making.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2017, 05:43:01 PM »

Never once said it wasn't a big deal.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2017, 05:46:07 PM »

It definitely came across that way.

Also, Ben Sasse and Justin Amash have also put out statements opposing the ban. Sasse called it "too broad" and Amash said it was " not lawful"
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2017, 05:48:16 PM »

UK Olympic gold athlete Mo Farah is technically banned from entering the USA.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2017, 05:48:49 PM »

'What's the big deal? It's only 90 days' isn't critical.  It's excuse making.

Antonio was being concerned about something that wasn't reflective of reality. It was meant to be relieving, not dismissive.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2017, 05:49:48 PM »

Also, Ben Sasse and Justin Amash have also put out statements opposing the ban. Sasse called it "too broad" and Amash said it was " not lawful"

If these guys aren't careful they're going to get primaried.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2017, 06:04:20 PM »

I'm so glad my main family is from Palestine and not any of these countries included in the ban, although I have family scattered in Syria, Iraq.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2017, 06:16:27 PM »

If I had a spare $1600, I'd get busy on getting the documents needed to get my Italian citizenship recognized. In 1905, my great great grandmother died, and so my great great grandfather married the babysitter, loaded up the kids, and sailed to Ellis Island.

While they were on the ship, the couple got frisky and 9 months later, my great grandfather was born. They settled in Uniontown, Pennsylvania and when he came of age, my great grandfather moved to Detroit to work in Henry Ford's car factories. While he worked there, he met a cute redhead, who had been brought to the United States from Croatia in 1914 at the age of 2. She became my great grandmother.

My family's story would be impossible in Donald Trump's America. Unless we can stop him, it might become necessary to flee.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies