Explain the rape/incest exception to being pro-life
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:41:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Explain the rape/incest exception to being pro-life
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Explain the rape/incest exception to being pro-life  (Read 2342 times)
catscanjumphigh
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 07:10:44 AM »

I take the same position as proposed in the beginning but not in a political sense.  I'm pro-life except for in cases of incest, rape, hazards to the mother's life, and damaged fetuses.  It's a very fragile issue and needs to be taken care of very cautiously.  Either way I don't see the law ever changing unless Trump gets 3 Supreme Court nominees to back him up on the matter.
Waterfall
Rookie
United States
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 10:34:46 AM »

@Scarlet Shift:

I didn't mention this earlier because I generally try to avoid putting personal details about my life on the internet. Since you are now asserting things about me that you have no basis to say and that are actually false, I might as well tell you: I was suicidal at many points in my life. I won't get into too much detail but let's just say I was in a very bad situation and I was not equipped to handle it. For instance I spent a week in a psych ward when I was 15 because of it. I also briefly considered suicide at other points in my adult life, the most severe of which was during a time when I was penniless, starving, and homeless at ages 19 and 20. You're right that suicidalism is not perfectly correlated with destitution, but let me tell you it certainly can't be overlooked.

You also asserted that I don't understand psychology. I've actually made my career in a field that is closely related to psychology, and a solid understanding of behavioral, experimental, and cognitive psychological concepts is a requirement to do the kind of work I do. Advanced degrees in psychology are common among people in my field.

I read an article recently about a millennial college student who was writing a chemistry paper and asked for help on Twitter. Another Twitter user, who happened to be the CEO of a major chemistry company, answered her question. The college student didn't find the answer to her liking and she cussed him out, making a bunch of bold assertions about his level of knowledge.

Don't be that person.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »

@Scarlet Shift:

I didn't mention this earlier because I generally try to avoid putting personal details about my life on the internet. Since you are now asserting things about me that you have no basis to say and that are actually false, I might as well tell you: I was suicidal at many points in my life. I won't get into too much detail but let's just say I was in a very bad situation and I was not equipped to handle it. For instance I spent a week in a psych ward when I was 15 because of it. I also briefly considered suicide at other points in my adult life, the most severe of which was during a time when I was penniless, starving, and homeless at ages 19 and 20. You're right that suicidalism is not perfectly correlated with destitution, but let me tell you it certainly can't be overlooked.

You also asserted that I don't understand psychology. I've actually made my career in a field that is closely related to psychology, and a solid understanding of behavioral, experimental, and cognitive psychological concepts is a requirement to do the kind of work I do. Advanced degrees in psychology are common among people in my field.

I read an article recently about a millennial college student who was writing a chemistry paper and asked for help on Twitter. Another Twitter user, who happened to be the CEO of a major chemistry company, answered her question. The college student didn't find the answer to her liking and she cussed him out, making a bunch of bold assertions about his level of knowledge.

Don't be that person.
For me, there's a certain intuitive feel to them. I'm good at understanding them on an unconsious level, which you don't seem to be. Knowing of emotions and basic cognition on an academic level is one thing, but the ability to put yourself somewhere else and feel it, to just "get" mentalities on some deeper level in your mind is incredibly powerful. What is this field you work in, anyway?
Waterfall
Rookie
United States
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 11:13:49 AM »

For me, there's a certain intuitive feel to them. I'm good at understanding them on an unconsious level, which you don't seem to be. Knowing of emotions and basic cognition on an academic level is one thing, but the ability to put yourself somewhere else and feel it, to just "get" mentalities on some deeper level in your mind is incredibly powerful. What is this field you work in, anyway?

My strong intuition and sense of empathy--not just academic knowledge, most of which I gained on the job, but really being able to put myself fully in other people's shoes by listening and understanding, if not by actually having been in their situation, and then applying a wider understanding of the psychology around that--is one of the reasons why I was recruited to my field, human factors research.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 06:51:29 PM »

Frankly, I don't think a lot of politically aware (is that the right phrase?) people hold the position. It mainly arises from two emotional, mutually conflicting responses:

1) Aborting babies is bad
2) Women shouldn't have to carry and/or raise their rape baby

It's not an especially coherent position, but most people don't have a coherent ideology.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 09:25:51 PM »

I don't understand it either.  I mean ANY BABY, no matter how it is conceived, deserves full fetal rights.  I don't get this at all.

That would sad to abort the baby - it didn't do anything wrong.  two wrongs dont make a right.  A violent act does not make another violent act "justified" or right in any way
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies