Should the amount of House representatives, and consequently EVs, increase?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:06:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Should the amount of House representatives, and consequently EVs, increase?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Select either yes or no, then how many House reps there should be.
yes

no

<550

550-600

600-650

650-700

700-750

750-800

800-850

>850

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Should the amount of House representatives, and consequently EVs, increase?  (Read 5924 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2017, 04:11:03 PM »

Only with term limits.  Somebody please explain to me why it's acceptable for someone to have a combined 60 years in both houses?  There's other things in life to do. I'd support this with term limits and a limit on spending in federal campaigns.
Let me flip that on its head: Why is it acceptable to ban someone from running for office if their constituents like them?
What if the reason that most representatives get elected is that they get earmarks for pork-barrel projects? If they don't, they may face a challenger backed by the beneficiaries of the projects. Instead they get a comfortable position for life if they want, they get pampered by lobbyists.

It can be a corrupting system, and the representatives are no longer representative of their communities.

Getting federal money for popular local projects is representing their constituents, arguably in a truer sense than most other legislation is.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2017, 08:23:34 PM »

For the House, I just want it to be truly based on proportions of population. Currently, California has significantly more people per congressional district than Wyoming. We should set the amount of people per district based on one district being the smallest state. That would mean raising the maximum number of representatives, because currently Wyoming is smaller than most if not all other districts. The point of the House is for populous states to have extra representation based on their large population, so it should commit to this instead of watering it down like in the electoral college where rural areas get some extra.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies