Should the amount of House representatives, and consequently EVs, increase?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:57:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Should the amount of House representatives, and consequently EVs, increase?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Select either yes or no, then how many House reps there should be.
yes

no

<550

550-600

600-650

650-700

700-750

750-800

800-850

>850

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 82

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Should the amount of House representatives, and consequently EVs, increase?  (Read 5927 times)
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2017, 08:07:27 PM »

Should the United States House increase how many representatives there are (hasn't been done since the early 1900s), and consequently EVs? A major pro I could see in this is giving more "local" representation (i.e. some areas with lesser population could be made into their own district instead of being grouped with a region with a completely different demographic), but a major con would be having too many representatives.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 04:30:21 AM »

Should the United States House increase how many representatives there are (hasn't been done since the early 1900s), and consequently EVs? A major pro I could see in this is giving more "local" representation (i.e. some areas with lesser population could be made into their own district instead of being grouped with a region with a completely different demographic), but a major con would be having too many representatives.
EVs and representatives should be decoupled.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 05:05:26 PM »

Based on 2016 population (323.1M) the cube root rule would recommend 686 members of Congress. The WY rule (586K divided into the total population) would recommend a House of 551 members. Add 100 Senators and that equals 651 which isn't so different than the cube root result. Since the poll asks about the size of the House I voted 550-600 which covers both cases.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »

It should have, like, a thousand House members.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 09:59:08 PM »

I (arbitrarily) chose a number in the 550-600 range.
Capitol Hill will have to undergo a bit of a remodeling, though.

On a related note, I also support an increase in the number of seats in one particular state legislature -- California. Instead of 40 Senators and 80 Assemblymen, it ought to be increased to 75 Senators and 225 Assemblymen.
catscanjumphigh
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 06:24:07 AM »

Only with term limits.  Somebody please explain to me why it's acceptable for someone to have a combined 60 years in both houses?  There's other things in life to do. I'd support this with term limits and a limit on spending in federal campaigns.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 08:57:49 AM »

On a related note, I also support an increase in the number of seats in one particular state legislature -- California. Instead of 40 Senators and 80 Assemblymen, it ought to be increased to 75 Senators and 225 Assemblymen.

If the cube root rule applied to CA there would be about 334 members of the legislature in 2010. Your suggestion of 300 total is consistent with that.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 11:53:06 AM »

Only with term limits.  Somebody please explain to me why it's acceptable for someone to have a combined 60 years in both houses?  There's other things in life to do. I'd support this with term limits and a limit on spending in federal campaigns.
Let me flip that on its head: Why is it acceptable to ban someone from running for office if their constituents like them?
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 01:53:23 PM »

Let me flip that on its head: Why is it acceptable to ban someone from running for office if their constituents like them?

I would say that the problem is rarely with popular, but ordinary rank-and-file legislators. They are usually good for their constituents but aren't likely to drive the problems seen by the public. The issue is usually with leaders who have amassed power in their position, and use that in ways the public disapproves. A term limit for leadership posts can often be accomplished by a rule in the body itself. So the question is whether the rank-and-file members want to limit their leaders.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 07:59:32 PM »

I'd like to see ~100-200 ~4-winner STV districts.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 08:40:11 PM »

What if the reason that most representatives get elected is that they get earmarks for pork-barrel projects? If they don't, they may face a challenger backed by the beneficiaries of the projects. Instead they get a comfortable position for life if they want, they get pampered by lobbyists.

It can be a corrupting system, and the representatives are no longer representative of their communities.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 09:04:00 PM »

What if the reason that most representatives get elected is that they get earmarks for pork-barrel projects? If they don't, they may face a challenger backed by the beneficiaries of the projects. Instead they get a comfortable position for life if they want, they get pampered by lobbyists.

It can be a corrupting system, and the representatives are no longer representative of their communities.

According to George F. Will's book, Restoration, the reason for term limits is indeed that members of Congress get pork-barrel projects for their states and districts which are crucial to ensure their re-election. But according to the way Will argued the point, the voters share the blame; voters will always re-elect a politician who brings home lots of bacon. Will was not critical of lobbyists; he was critical of politicians who make a career out of buying votes from their constituents by using their own tax money. Vote for me because I'm the best at bringing home the bacon!
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 07:23:23 AM »

According to George F. Will's book, Restoration, the reason for term limits is indeed that members of Congress get pork-barrel projects for their states and districts which are crucial to ensure their re-election. But according to the way Will argued the point, the voters share the blame; voters will always re-elect a politician who brings home lots of bacon. Will was not critical of lobbyists; he was critical of politicians who make a career out of buying votes from their constituents by using their own tax money. Vote for me because I'm the best at bringing home the bacon!

Restoration was an accurate portrayal of the voters in 1992, but less so today. The polarization of the electorate and increased partisan gerrymandering has created a cadre of legislators and their constituents who are uninterested in the bacon and more so for the votes on key issues. The 2005 transportation bill (with the infamous bridge to nowhere) led to a huge outcry about pork, including from many districts getting some of that pork.
impactreps
dcushmanjva
Rookie
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 03:41:07 AM »

JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 01:01:06 AM »

YES.

+30 to bring it to 465.

465+100=565+DC's 3 EVs=568, meaning 285 to win for EC purposes if it stays.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 11:21:25 AM »

Yes, the House should have about 1000 members to bring back some degree of representation.
Starpaul20
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -5.22

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »

Yes, it should be increased to at least 547 (Wyoming Rule).
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 11:48:31 PM »

If we do Term Limits, which I totally agree with, I think we could also extend the Terms out a little.

4 Years for Representatives rather than 2.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 06:16:36 AM »

Yes, to around 600. And get rid of gerrymandering by installing a non-partisan redistricting commission.

I think it's crazy that Germany (with 82 million people) has a legislature with currently 630 members, while the US (320 million) has only 435 members of the House.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 06:18:42 AM »
« Edited: April 28, 2017, 06:21:05 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

I have supported this for years.

I prefer 675, which is about what the Cube Root Rule generated at the beginning of the decade.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 07:11:42 AM »

I have supported this for years.

I prefer 675, which is about what the Cube Root Rule generated at the beginning of the decade.

Though I would suggest that since Congress is bicameral, the cube root rule should apply to the sum of all members of the House and Senate.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 03:27:30 PM »

With the admittance of PR, it will happen, sooner rather than later.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 06:30:26 AM »

I loathe term limits. But I think Yankee gets it exactly right. Let's expand the House to 675 members.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 10:57:21 PM »

Wyoming Rule for the love of God.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 11:05:54 PM »

To be perfectly frank there should be a couple thousand Reps at this point. I'm unapologetically prioritizing representation over ease of governance, though.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies