We knew for 15 MONTHS what trump's plan was towards middle east immigration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:51:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  We knew for 15 MONTHS what trump's plan was towards middle east immigration
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: We knew for 15 MONTHS what trump's plan was towards middle east immigration  (Read 949 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 28, 2017, 10:46:24 PM »

Did you guys just assume he wasn't actually going to follow through with a campaign promise? The kinks regarding green cards will be worked out in due time but you will have to live with the fact that trump used CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY to restrict certain immigration.

Are y'all just going to freak out every time he does something that you knew for more than a year he said he was going to do?

What in the bloody hell did you think he was going to do regarding refugee issues? Continue the obama practice?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:47:42 PM »

Did you guys just assume he wasn't actually going to follow through with a campaign promise? The kinks regarding green cards will be worked out in due time but you will have to live with the fact that trump used CONSTITUTIONAL AUTHORITY to restrict certain immigration.

Are y'all just going to freak out every time he does something that you knew for more than a year he said he was going to do?

What in the bloody hell did you think he was going to do regarding refugee issues? Continue the obama practice?

Oh, I had no doubts he would do exactly that. This is why I have been freaking out continuously.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 10:47:49 PM »

I think it's just people did not expect U.S. residents with greencards to be banned from re-entering the country.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 10:48:51 PM »

More surprised that he and his team had fifteen months to think about how to implement his plans and still screwed up in one of the most embarrassing policy rollouts in American history.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 10:49:43 PM »

Donald Trump will not get away with this, period. There is no authority to do so.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »

Oh, I had no doubts he would do exactly that. This is why I have been freaking out continuously.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 11:01:52 PM »

Of course I expected him to do this. That doesn't make it any less awful.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 11:15:23 PM »

We did. There's a reason he lost the popular vote by 2.1% 
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 11:16:26 PM »

Of course I expected him to do this. That doesn't make it any less awful.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 11:39:53 PM »

More surprised that he and his team had fifteen months to think about how to implement his plans and still screwed up in one of the most embarrassing policy rollouts in American history.

You forget that he only really thought he'd win once he won. That's a major reason his team keeps making such boneheaded mistakes when implementing his policies.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 11:42:47 PM »

I think some though it had to go through Congress and we could have a debate period. Trump just doesn't have the political capital to do this on his own without major pushback.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 12:38:16 AM »

I took Trump literally and seriously. That's why I didn't vote for him, why I was mad when he won and why I'm furious now.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 02:06:49 AM »

It's less the proposal itself and more the stunningly poor implementation, really.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 04:26:34 PM »

That's funny, I didn't read in the Constitution where the president could make immigration laws without anyone else's consent.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 05:07:00 PM »

That's funny, I didn't read in the Constitution where the president could make immigration laws without anyone else's consent.

Under the Executive Power Clause and the Faithful Execution Clause, Trump can pretty reasonably claim that he was simply directing immigration officers to enforce existing laws in certain ways, and not circumventing Congress by making new laws from scratch.

That being said, just because someone can reasonably claim that something they're doing isn't illegal, that doesn't mean it's not a terrible decision and incredibly destructive.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 06:37:42 PM »

It's less the proposal itself and more the stunningly poor implementation, really.

It's basically like if Bernie Sanders won and issued an executive order that went "all healthcare is free, doctors shouldn't charge you for things or else" with no elaboration.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 07:30:55 PM »

I think it's just people did not expect U.S. residents with greencards to be banned from re-entering the country.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 11:23:07 PM »

Under the Executive Power Clause and the Faithful Execution Clause, Trump can pretty reasonably claim that he was simply directing immigration officers to enforce existing laws in certain ways, and not circumventing Congress by making new laws from scratch.

That being said, just because someone can reasonably claim that something they're doing isn't illegal, that doesn't mean it's not a terrible decision and incredibly destructive.

Good points.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 11:29:51 PM »

Just because someone tells you there doing something doesn't mean you should be apathetic and tolerate it.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 04:46:18 AM »

Well, it's evident that at least a couple of Trump supporters voted for the guy under the assumption that he was lying about his goals.

As for myself, I always assumed that he could be in fact be truthful.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 06:08:40 AM »

No, I didn't expect him to keep his promises (normal, doesn't trust politicians).
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 07:12:49 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2017, 07:18:50 AM by Meclazine »

I think some though it had to go through Congress and we could have a debate period. Trump just doesn't have the political capital to do this on his own without major pushback.

That is kind of the thinking you would expect. I was not expecting anything less.

Trump has come out swinging the axe.

Generation Snowflake is melting live in front of us. They are more in love with Syrian refugees than people in their own country.

I do sympathise with people who find the need to protest. There is no complaints there, but at the end of the day, an election was held, and the silent majority want this.

I think your average hard working American wants the old America back again.

Who suddenly decided the Earth is a global country with no borders?

CNN?

These people do not like the USA. Clearly, there is a risk, however miniscule to not vetting refugees from these countries.

I don't actually worry too much about terrorism associated with refugee intakes. That is not very realistic. What is more concerning is the sheer lack of social integration and immediate welfare dependence which drives every second Australian mad.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 08:38:30 AM »

Clearly, there is a risk, however miniscule to not vetting refugees from these countries.
I usually don't ascribe to stupidity what can be attributed to other reasons, but the fact you keep repeating this canard when it has been repeatedly been pointed out to you that the US has been stringently vetting refugees, strongly indicates that either you are stupid or that you don't think the vetting's been stringent enuf because it's been letting Muslims in.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 08:41:41 AM »
« Edited: January 30, 2017, 08:58:24 AM by 0% Approval Rating »

The German Ministry of Interior estimates that ca. 137,000 German citizens will be affected by Trump's ban.

The largest share are made up by German-Iranians who are unable to relinquish their Iranian citizenship even if they wanted to, since Iranian citizenship law doesn't allow you to resign your citizenship (and who - as Shiites - certainly don't support the Salafist "Islamic State").
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 10:12:14 AM »

Clearly, there is a risk, however miniscule to not vetting refugees from these countries.
I usually don't ascribe to stupidity what can be attributed to other reasons, but the fact you keep repeating this canard when it has been repeatedly been pointed out to you that the US has been stringently vetting refugees, strongly indicates that either you are stupid or that you don't think the vetting's been stringent enuf because it's been letting Muslims in.

You cannot let everybody who wants to live in the USA into the country.

My point was not about terrorism. It was really about a group of people looking to come to the USA whose views are incompatible with the American way of life.

Why do muslim refugees not want to immigrate to wealthier muslim arabic nations?

I think the average American finds the whole radical Islamic state nonsense quite confronting.

I am not endorsing Donald's methods, but something needs to be done.

The German experiment with Syrian refugees has failed.

The USA has every right to manage it's borders and who they allow in.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies