N312: Amendment to Article 1 of the Northern Constitution (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:29:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  N312: Amendment to Article 1 of the Northern Constitution (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: N312: Amendment to Article 1 of the Northern Constitution (Passed)  (Read 435 times)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2017, 01:34:52 PM »
« edited: February 01, 2017, 06:32:36 PM by Speaker & Lt. Governor R2D2 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/center][/quote]

Sponsor: R2D2

72 hours to debate, 48 to vote. Because this is a constitutional amendment, it requires all three members of the assembly to vote in the affirmative.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 02:42:56 PM »

This is an excellent mechanism that is needed in our region's constitution to prevent a 1-1 tie from happening again, should our region's Assembly be down to two on a short-term basis.
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 10:51:59 PM »

I know that Section 3E of the SOAP says that "A piece of proposed legislation shall pass if a majority of Delegates vote in favor of it (with abstentions and absences not counted as votes)", and that this can potentially lead to a tie.  My view is, shouldn't the majority of the seats in the chamber need to vote affirmatively in order to pass legislation?  Because the chamber size is always an odd number, there wouldn't be any ties.  In other words, 2 out of 3 for a 3-person Assembly, or 3 out of 5 for a 5-person Assembly, as determined by number of candidates that run.  If two Assemblypeople were to resign, leaving one Assemblyperson, that person could simply introduce legislation and pass it through the chamber with his/her sole vote.  And in the event of a gubernatorial veto, couldn't the Assemblyperson then override with 1 out of 1 vote (100%)?

I wholeheartedly agree that the Constitution is vague on this issue, and that it's important to fill vacancies ASAP.  But it seems to me that it should be a true majority of the chamber, and this therefore would moot the possibility of a tie.  Additionally, legislation could still be passed with one vacancy (i.e. 2-0 with 1 vacancy).  I am willing to put this idea into a separate amendment proposal.

Also, any legislation passed previously with a tie or without a true majority would be grandfathered in and would not have to be re-passed under the proposed new policy.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 11:05:10 PM »

In the event of the assembly being composed of just 1 person (after 2 or 4 resignations), then my belief is that a legal crisis would arise, preventing that one person from single-handedly running the region.

The amendment focuses more on the (more likely) possibility of one member abstaining, or one member resigning, and a vote ending in a tie. This amendment puts in place something specific to point to in that event, so that we don't have what happened after Maxwell's resignation last session, where we had a legislative tie, and had to wait until the seat was filled before we could finish voting.

I agree that having a majority of the legislative chamber to pass a piece of legislation is important, but ties do arise, and we have legislation at the federal level to address that, so why not have something similar for the regions?
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 08:39:47 PM »

Considering the need for government and specifically the Assembly to remain functional during a vacancy, as well as the need to avoid gridlock occurring during such a void, I will support this Amendment.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »

The debate period has ended and we will now begin voting. Please record your vote below.

Aye
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 05:06:52 PM »

Aye
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 06:27:27 PM »

AYE.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 06:32:14 PM »

Without objection, I'm ending the voting period early. The Amendment has passed and will appear on next month's ballot.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies