Is this the most plausible route to 218?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:58:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is this the most plausible route to 218?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is this the most plausible route to 218?  (Read 1321 times)
mencken
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2017, 07:33:04 PM »

CA-49
TX-23
CA-10
VA-10
CA-25
CO-6
FL-27
KS-3
FL-26
TX-7
NJ-7
CA-21
CA-39
CA-48
AZ-2
PA-6
MN-3
NE-2
MN-2
IA-1
PA-8
PA-16
UT-4
MI-11

All districts where both Trump and the Republican nominee had (relatively) weak performances.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 08:18:12 PM »

Why PA-16 but not PA-7?

Shouldn't WA-8 be on the list too?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 09:10:17 PM »

Mencken, I would take out IA-01 and add PA-07 (how is it missing when 06 and 08 are on the list). I don't think PA-16 is as vulnerable. There was talks about it being in play since it was an open seat but it is further out than PA-06, 07, and 08. Smucker should be a pretty good incumbent. There's a good chance Meehan runs statewide, which leaves the seat vulnerable to pickup.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 09:23:45 PM »

In alphabetical order:

AZ-2, CA-10, CA-21, CA-25, CA-39, CA-45, CA-48, CA-49, CO-6, FL-26, FL-27, GA-6, IL-6, KS-3, MN-2, MN-3, NE-2, NJ-7, NY-24, PA-6, PA-7, PA-8, TX-23, VA-10, WA-8. Then there's like 20 other decent targets that will largely depend on recruiting.

This is a solid list.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 10:00:57 AM »

While I might be biased, I think the route to 218 in two years involves targeting NJ heavily. On the ground I think that NJ's 2nd, 3rd and 7th district are less safe than they appear to be, since the Trump voters in these districts are likely the ones the GOP would lose first in a midterm (namely, upper middle class white voters who voted for Trump b/c "he is better than Hillary").

Lance is not very strong and isn't exactly beloved, nor is MacArthur. Plus I think Gottheimer will have to put up a fight in the 5th district, but he can raise the money/get out his voters. I think LoBiondo in the 2nd district would be the most entrenched Republican, but his district includes Atlantic City, which is a natural epicenter for anti-Trump sentiment.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 10:36:27 AM »

I didn't realize that John Culberson in TX-07 was vulnerable.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 10:59:52 AM »

Forget Iowa 1 and 3 as long as Hollywood and SJWs remain the face of the Democratic Party.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 02:48:48 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2017, 03:47:39 PM by AKCreative »

Forget Iowa 1 and 3 as long as Hollywood and SJWs remain the face of the Democratic Party.

In the long term I think IA-3 might become the most democratic district in the state if Dallas and Polk Counties (Ankeny in particular) keep growing.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 05:06:45 PM »

Besides FL-27, probably. Replace it with MT-AL or AK-AL.
PAK Man

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 05:27:45 PM »

Despite the fact Obama EASILY won IA-01 and narrowly won IA-03? The third district will always be slightly challenging since David Young, while a complete bore, has Grassley connections, so he'll probably be safe for as long as he's there.

Don't let the 2016 results fool you; IA-01 is quite Democratic. Iowans HATED Clinton (even Democratic voters, who all, for some reason, voted for Gary Johnson instead of her) which explains why she did poorly there, especially compared to Obama. The House races fumbled in 2014 because Pat Murphy never had a competitive race before and assumed the seat would go blue (keep in mind this was a very narrow loss) and Vernon suffered the same fate in 2016 - everybody assumed she'd win because of the district's partisan lean and didn't even bother really competing here until it was too late.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 11:32:06 AM »

Despite the fact Obama EASILY won IA-01 and narrowly won IA-03? The third district will always be slightly challenging since David Young, while a complete bore, has Grassley connections, so he'll probably be safe for as long as he's there.

Don't let the 2016 results fool you; IA-01 is quite Democratic. Iowans HATED Clinton (even Democratic voters, who all, for some reason, voted for Gary Johnson instead of her) which explains why she did poorly there, especially compared to Obama. The House races fumbled in 2014 because Pat Murphy never had a competitive race before and assumed the seat would go blue (keep in mind this was a very narrow loss) and Vernon suffered the same fate in 2016 - everybody assumed she'd win because of the district's partisan lean and didn't even bother really competing here until it was too late.

Yes, but 2012 was well before the Dems had SJW baggage and treated working-class whites like racist, uneducated scum. Obama actively courted their votes and showed concern for their needs.

I'm not denying that IA-01 has the fundamentals of a blue district, but the Democrats have to go back to what they were in 2012 if they want to win it.

Trump even won IA-02, which is way more liberal than IA-01. That's the extent of Dems' collapse among working-class whites who voted Obama twice, and you can't just assume that they're all just going to magically come back.

And if Iowa Dems uniquely hate Clinton so much, why did she win the Iowa caucus?
PAK Man

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 12:35:07 PM »

Yes, but 2012 was well before the Dems had SJW baggage and treated working-class whites like racist, uneducated scum. Obama actively courted their votes and showed concern for their needs.

I'm not denying that IA-01 has the fundamentals of a blue district, but the Democrats have to go back to what they were in 2012 if they want to win it.

Trump even won IA-02, which is way more liberal than IA-01. That's the extent of Dems' collapse among working-class whites who voted Obama twice, and you can't just assume that they're all just going to magically come back.

And if Iowa Dems uniquely hate Clinton so much, why did she win the Iowa caucus?

By the skin of her teeth, she won by. Also, caucuses are a bad measure of support.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 02:17:29 PM »

I love this revisionist history of the dems being "anti-white" someone should tell Clinton an Kaine that
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 08:43:55 PM »

I love this revisionist history of the dems being "anti-white" someone should tell Clinton an Kaine that
If you read my post more carefully, maybe you'll notice that I was only referencing working-class whites.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 10:23:05 PM »

If you read my post more carefully, maybe you'll notice that I was only referencing working-class whites.
Can you please point to were the dem party call wwc "scum"?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies