Tens of Thousands Protesting Trump's Immigration and Refugee Ban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:38:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Tens of Thousands Protesting Trump's Immigration and Refugee Ban
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tens of Thousands Protesting Trump's Immigration and Refugee Ban  (Read 1989 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2017, 07:45:16 PM »

It's like Trump means to keep us energized and on our toes throughout his presidency:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-immigration-protests-234336
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 07:48:35 PM »

Wow Soros is really stretching those cheques! /s
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 07:59:53 PM »

Terrorists are the problem; refugees are a consequence of brutal regimes, including one (ISIS) established by a terrorist cause.

Refugees who don't return tend to become... good citizens. See also "Cuban-Americans" and "Vietnamese-Americans" as well as the descendants of the "displaced persons" after World War II.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 08:10:16 PM »

This is the new normal.  If Trump & co. think people will roll over and accept fascism, they are in for a rude awakening.

GOP should be paying close attention to Trump's plummeting approval ratings.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 08:21:59 PM »

This is what brings down presidencies from the Right. The Right never learns that the Left's greatest weapon is mobilization of their side and has been for over a century. Righties never protest by taking to the streets and doing everything they can to fight, and consequently, they're shocked, shocked when their side loses out because the news reports the protests and the protests dominate the airwaves, social media, and drowns out the right. They're successfully creating an image of Trump as some fascist heartless dictator.

The protestors know that they might lose in year 1, 2, 3, even 4. They know that by year 5, 6, 7, and 8, they'll get their way. It's a well known tactic from Bush 43 (I didn't like it then), Nixon (didn't like it then), and the 1st half of the twentieth century with the Populist era (unless I'm misremembering).

It's hilarious to watch Trump now being subjected to this. (And I applaud it, for once)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 08:23:20 PM »

Nice to see people showing a collective spine...which of course will disappear again once the next Democrat is in office.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 08:30:19 PM »

Nice to see people showing a collective spine...which of course will disappear again once the next Democrat is in office.

It's always easier to organize protests when you're in the opposition than when you're running government. And it's easier for Democrats to have these massive rallies simply because they tend to live closer to one another than Republicans. Hence, protests will almost certainly be more common under Republican presidencies, unless voting demographics change dramatically.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »

Wow Soros is really stretching those cheques! /s

I'm pretty pissed I haven't gotten mine yet.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 08:31:36 PM »

Protests may become the new normal like they were in the late 60s and early 70s, but we may also see 'counter protests' just like then too. We already saw the March for Life this week and I would not be suprised if we saw repeats of the 1970 'Hard Hat Riot' where construction workers who supported Nixon attacked an anti-war protest. 

And even with all these protests, Nixon of course won big in 1972, so protests aren't necessarily a sign that the President is in political trouble.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »

1. Yeah, but the Vietnam and Iraq war protesters won out in the end. Their presidents were re-elected but they were succeeded by anti-war presidents. The difference between this and them is that we may see a progressive White House elected 4-8 years from now on the back of the protesters who develop a political machine to accompany their protests (who knows?).

2. An irony courtesy of Andy Borowitz: Mary, mother of Almighty God and her Son would be denied entry to the country under Trump's "geographic" ban. She is after all not Christian and neither is her Son.

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 08:38:49 PM »

This is what brings down presidencies from the Right. The Right never learns that the Left's greatest weapon is mobilization of their side and has been for over a century. Righties never protest by taking to the streets and doing everything they can to fight, and consequently, they're shocked, shocked when their side loses out because the news reports the protests and the protests dominate the airwaves, social media, and drowns out the right. They're successfully creating an image of Trump as some fascist heartless dictator.

The protestors know that they might lose in year 1, 2, 3, even 4. They know that by year 5, 6, 7, and 8, they'll get their way. It's a well known tactic from Bush 43 (I didn't like it then), Nixon (didn't like it then), and the 1st half of the twentieth century with the Populist era (unless I'm misremembering).

It's hilarious to watch Trump now being subjected to this. (And I applaud it, for once)

Right "the left" took down Nixon and not Nixon covering up a crime and Bush an not Bush invading a country on bad intelligence
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 08:41:25 PM »

Anyone sensing a liberal Tea Party arising?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 08:43:07 PM »

I hope every last liberal moves to California if/when they secede, so we can have a liberal-free country to restore America!

I am sick and tired of liberal trouble-makers protesting in the streets.  If you block traffic without a permit approved one month in advance, you should go to jail for a year, plain and simple.  While I disagree with him on abortion, Rudy Giuliani seems to be the only person who understands what has to be done to stop crime and riots.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 09:02:41 PM »

I hope every last liberal moves to California if/when they secede, so we can have a liberal-free country to restore America!

I am sick and tired of liberal trouble-makers protesting in the streets.  If you block traffic without a permit approved one month in advance, you should go to jail for a year, plain and simple.  While I disagree with him on abortion, Rudy Giuliani seems to be the only person who understands what has to be done to stop crime and riots.

The sun on the meadow is summery warm
The stag in the forest runs free
But gather together to greet the storm
Tomorrow belongs to me
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 09:06:49 PM »

It's always easier to organize protests when you're in the opposition than when you're running government. And it's easier for Democrats to have these massive rallies simply because they tend to live closer to one another than Republicans. Hence, protests will almost certainly be more common under Republican presidencies, unless voting demographics change dramatically.

I think what he means is the left should have protested many of Obama's actions including the largest deportation agenda in American history in addition to the Iraq immigration ban (which I have just heard about for the first time!) among the many other items in his rather unprogressive agenda, but they declined because he was their king and savior. Now it is done because Trump makes a farce and a show of it to the media to display his power. Obama kept it out of the headlines.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 09:29:10 PM »

It certainly seems likely at this point. The interesting this is that i doubt it would happen had the Tea Party not happened in 2009; that set the precedent for an organized partisan political movement.

What also seems likely is that the Democratic Party is going to rally around globalization and cosmopolitanism unlike ever before. They seem to be solidifying around immigration, diversity, multiculturalism, international treaties, and the existing system of globalization. I think embracing free trade will be the most controversial aspect of it and may persist as a division.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 09:47:01 PM »

We're not eating our own on this one, though.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 10:10:29 PM »

Trust me, the Sanders people are trying, but luckily the left seems to be more occupied with opposing this immigration ban for right now.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 10:32:13 PM »

John Iadarola reports from the LAX protests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jcpqpp5UUM
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 10:32:51 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2017, 01:46:15 AM by watermelon »

Trust me, the Sanders people are trying, but luckily the left seems to be more occupied with opposing this immigration ban for right now.

That's a stupid comment.  But of course anyone who begins their sentence with "Trust me" is usually wrong and knows it.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 11:10:08 PM »

Democratic Congressional Leadership is holding a rally tomorrow in front of the Supreme Court at 6:00pm. So excited to go!
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 11:28:31 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 11:31:10 PM »

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 11:42:56 PM »

Too bad, you have to live with them. They're there, they exist by the millions, and they aren't going away. Nor are they going to give up their country to the Right. The GOP doesn't seem to understand, 49% of the country voted for Clinton or Stein and 49% of the country isn't enamored by the Trump-GOP agenda, and their insistence on ramming through everything.

Either learn to live with the liberals, govern the country without looking to one party (y'know, like Barack Obama did) or deal with minimum 49% of the country consistently resisting you. You know perfectly well how that ends.

Locking up tens of thousands of liberals? Yeah, that's a good way to put a Democratic wave back into power.

And California isn't seceding.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2017, 05:13:16 AM »

I don't think you or Rudy 9/11 understand how to run a just and effective government. That you yearn for petty authoritarianism you agree with just make you bad at being Americans.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies