Which is more immoral?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:07:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which is more immoral?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Which is more immoral?
a 20 year old of one gender marrying a 70 year old of the other gender

two people the same age of the same gender marrying each other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Which is more immoral?  (Read 5344 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2005, 03:52:03 PM »

i dont think you should be able to stop anyone from getting married if they love eachother. noone has to live with any consequences but them.

Even if they don't love each other. What do you care?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2005, 03:53:13 PM »

Option one is the only immoral one of these choices. That, and it should be illegal. Number two is perfectly acceptable.

Is there any reason it should be illegal, except "I don't like it and I'm a control freak?"

Yes, it's anti-equality. Marriage is about the equality of two partners, such things cannot happen with a gross age discrepancy as the one suggested.

So the reson is: I don't like it.
As for marriage being about the equality f two partners, you just made that up.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2005, 04:04:58 PM »

i dont think you should be able to stop anyone from getting married if they love eachother. noone has to live with any consequences but them.

How could you not care? *blink*  I'm not saying that a couple who is not in love but wants to get married shouldn't be able to... but it should be definitely be frowned apon.

Anyway, neither is immoral.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2005, 04:05:46 PM »

good point. anyone should be allowed to marry anyone no matter what. although i must say, i would disapprove of a guy marrying a tree, but i wouldnt care if they did it.

EDIT: youre right, ilikeverin, it should be be frowned upon, but legal.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2005, 04:45:25 PM »

Yes, it's anti-equality. Marriage is about the equality of two partners, such things cannot happen with a gross age discrepancy as the one suggested.
How do you decide what the maximum moral age difference is? A difference of twenty years (or whatever else) is moral, but twenty years and one day is not?

It's a %, not an age of course. An 80 year old has a lot more in common with a 100 year old than an 20 year old and a 40 year old. The former is acceptable, while the ladder is not.

Theoretically, everyone would be able to get married. I don't really like age barriers either, which is why I'm against many minimum ages, but I think the %'s are fine, because you can always qualify if you live long enough.
Okay, so a 50% age difference (or whatever else) is acceptable, but 50.1% is not?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2005, 04:50:01 PM »

The one is immoral. Don't think it should be illegal, but it's certainly immoral.
I don't really think tuther one is.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2005, 05:48:36 PM »

To those who say that the first is immoral, could they explain why?

It appears to me that everyone presupposes in the case of the first that the twenty year-old is some sort of gold-digger which is not mentioned anywhere in the poll.

Why is it so immoral? There could be love in both circumstances presented or there could not be, if there is, why are either immoral?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2005, 05:50:59 PM »

How do you decide what the maximum moral age difference is? A difference of twenty years (or whatever else) is moral, but twenty years and one day is not?

It's a %, not an age of course. An 80 year old has a lot more in common with a 100 year old than an 20 year old and a 40 year old. The former is acceptable, while the ladder is not.

Okay, so a 50% age difference (or whatever else) is acceptable, but 50.1% is not?
Theoretically, everyone would be able to get married. I don't really like age barriers either, which is why I'm against many minimum ages, but I think the %'s are fine, because you can always qualify if you live long enough.

Why should they be forced to wait before entering marriage if they are in love? There are certain perks that they get with marriage that they don't get from being a co-habiting couple. Why should they have to wait for these because you think one is far too old for the other?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2005, 12:24:26 AM »

Why should they be forced to wait before entering marriage if they are in love? There are certain perks that they get with marriage that they don't get from being a co-habiting couple. Why should they have to wait for these because you think one is far too old for the other?

Maturity. Time is needed for maturity to grow. Plus, the whole reason I believe this, is as I mentioned, is that I believe such relationships to be unequal. Once you reach a certain percentage of another's age, then you can be considered at least equaler.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2005, 12:58:51 AM »

Maturity. Time is needed for maturity to grow. Plus, the whole reason I believe this, is as I mentioned, is that I believe such relationships to be unequal. Once you reach a certain percentage of another's age, then you can be considered at least equaler.

Love, maturity, and relationships can't be calculated with mathematical formulae.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2005, 02:06:53 AM »

Love, maturity, and relationships can't be calculated with mathematical formulae.
Then why do we have an age of consent? Minimum ages for marriages? There is nothing decent about an 80 year old                                      and a 20 year old marrying.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2005, 06:33:14 AM »

Then why do we have an age of consent? Minimum ages for marriages? There is nothing decent about an 80 year old                                      and a 20 year old marrying.

There we are then, we already have regulation; a minimum wage for marriage. At that minimum age the law considers them mature enough to marry - why does it matter how old the person they choose to marry is?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2005, 03:47:45 PM »

There we are then, we already have regulation; a minimum wage for marriage. At that minimum age the law considers them mature enough to marry - why does it matter how old the person they choose to marry is?

For the same reason there is a minumum age for marriage.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2005, 03:57:40 PM »

What? Lack of maturity? Well first of all people mature at very different ages, many people are incredibly immature despite being well into adulthood. Should people be required to take some sort of maturity test before marriage?

The minimum age for marriage is all about maturity, no? Well if these people have already reached that age then society already deems them mature enough to choose to marry whomsoever they want, provided that person is also above the minimum age for marriage. Why does the age of the other person matter? If they have already reached the current minimum age, they are both considered suitably mature by society to take responsibility for themselves and decide who they want to marry and when they want to do so. Why does the government have the right to further step in and say "okay, you can get married, but not to them as we think they are too old for you". Would the government further be allowed to judge people based on character, decide whether or not one person was good enough for another? Why is age important?

Why is it up to the state to regulate what people do in regards to their relationships with others?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2005, 02:20:07 AM »

What? Lack of maturity? Well first of all people mature at very different ages, many people are incredibly immature despite being well into adulthood. Should people be required to take some sort of maturity test before marriage?

The minimum age for marriage is all about maturity, no? Well if these people have already reached that age then society already deems them mature enough to choose to marry whomsoever they want, provided that person is also above the minimum age for marriage. Why does the age of the other person matter? If they have already reached the current minimum age, they are both considered suitably mature by society to take responsibility for themselves and decide who they want to marry and when they want to do so. Why does the government have the right to further step in and say "okay, you can get married, but not to them as we think they are too old for you". Would the government further be allowed to judge people based on character, decide whether or not one person was good enough for another? Why is age important?

Why is it up to the state to regulate what people do in regards to their relationships with others?

I disagree. You dont turn 18 and stop gaining maturity. Maturity is something that increases as you get older, no matter how old you are, but because the rate slows down as you get older, a percentage is needed.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2005, 09:54:40 AM »

I disagree. You dont turn 18 and stop gaining maturity. Maturity is something that increases as you get older, no matter how old you are, but because the rate slows down as you get older, a percentage is needed.

He never said you didn't stop gaining maturity, only that at 18 you are 'mature enough' to decide who you want to marry.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2005, 12:45:29 PM »

He never said you didn't stop gaining maturity, only that at 18 you are 'mature enough' to decide who you want to marry.

I disagree. Not if you're picking someone who is 80 years old.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2005, 12:51:24 PM »

Society doesn't - it's legal.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2005, 12:59:26 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2005, 01:00:57 PM by John F. Kennedy »

Are you mature enough to decide to have sexual relations with someone who is 80 years old?

As far as I see it, lots of people aren't particularly mature at eighteen, but that doesn't mean we deny them their rights because we don't think they are suitably mature for an eighteen year old. Why should we stop someone who is mature and say nineteen from marrying an eighty year old when two people who are immature and eighteen are perfectly allowed to marry each other?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2005, 01:11:44 PM »

Are you mature enough to decide to have sexual relations with someone who is 80 years old?

As far as I see it, lots of people aren't particularly mature at eighteen, but that doesn't mean we deny them their rights because we don't think they are suitably mature for an eighteen year old. Why should we stop someone who is mature and say nineteen from marrying an eighty year old when two people who are immature and eighteen are perfectly allowed to marry each other?

An 18 year old is mature enough to marry another 18 year old, not an 80 year old.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2005, 01:13:12 PM »

An 18 year old is mature enough to marry another 18 year old, not an 80 year old.

How do you know?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2005, 01:20:37 PM »

How do you know?

Don't bother. He'll just keep saying it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2005, 10:44:56 PM »

How do you know?

It's my theory.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2005, 10:46:19 PM »

How do you know?

It's my theory.
Precisely. It should not be imposed on the rest of the population.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2005, 10:48:29 PM »

How do you know?

It's my theory.
Precisely. It should not be imposed on the rest of the population.

So you think an 18 year old has the same maturity as an 80 year old?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies