Peter Capaldi is leaving Doctor Who
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:29:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Peter Capaldi is leaving Doctor Who
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Peter Capaldi is leaving Doctor Who  (Read 5815 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2017, 02:19:44 AM »

Michelle Gomez is done as the master (she said she wanted to leave since Capaldi was done) so while I imagine she would be happy to return in the future with a guest appearance we'll be getting a new master. I personally don't mind the hard turnovers but I just wish we would see a doctor last longer than three series.

Also sad that Moffat is leaving but change is what makes the show and I'm looking forward to see what Chibby can do/ a new doctor and companions.

I wasn't aware that Michelle Gomez was done as the Master, but I'm very satisfied with her performance. From the shock of her reveal to her periodic appearances, I've been very impressed. Even if this may be the end of this Master, there's no way it is the end of the Master. The Master has defied the odds more than the Doctor has, or so it seems.

I still hope they make it easy for the fans. For me, Chibnall has a mixed record in terms of writing, but so did RTD when he was show runner. I did enjoy 42 (despite it seeming to be a quicker version of the fantastic The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit) and the Silurian two-parter in Series 5, but his work in Series 7 (possibly the weakest series since the 2005 reboot) was fairly lackluster. I'm not sad that Moffat's leaving as I think his best work was when RTD was in charge. I do hope they'll retain him as a writer for at least one or two episodes per series.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2017, 09:22:40 PM »

I actually really liked the finale apart from Bill's fate. The Master and Missy's last scene was perfect.

Never liked Simm. She was great best since Delgado
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2017, 10:25:44 PM »

Thought is the doctor was gone in most of The Tenth Planet and kinda wanders in at the end saying "I'm feeling a bit frail" or whatever the line is. So the thinking is while he was gone he runs into Capaldi's doctor and they have an adventure while the companions do their thing in the original story. So both regenerate from it. This is from the rumor the first doctor will be back at some point too. Could be so wrong, but I would like it as one last Moffatt timey wimey story.

Based on the finale (at least until Christmas), it looks like you're very likely right. They're going to use David Bradley to play the First Doctor. I watched the 2013 An Adventure in Space and Time and I thought he was really great in it as William Hartnell.

I did mostly enjoy the two-parter finale, but I'm afraid they're going with the hard turnover like with RTD to Moffat. I did not like the change from Series 4 (my personal favourite) to Series 5. It looks like they're going to change the Doctor, companion(s), and the Master. I wish they would make these show runner changes easier on the big fans. I would have at least liked to see Bill as companion for the next Doctor, not to mention have Missy return (although I suppose the latter is definitely possible again as we now know that Simm's Master regenerates into Missy). Even so though, there's no way the Master is dead for good. Missy's apparent death seemed too convenient for the plot. She'll either appear as she has or she'll be back after another regeneration.

Series 4 is great - Partners In Crime, Fires of Pompeii, Silence in The Library / Forest of The Dead (River the big link to 11), Turn Left were great. Not a big fan of the two parter to end it - messy tying up loose ends and falls back on standby Daleks.

Then the specials sort of do it again but with SIMM and Dalton in the End of Time. The latter great in his turn as Rassillon. Waters of Mars was very good. The Next Doctor was solid for a Christmas Story. Planet of the Dead was sort of mixed.

That said Series 5 while it had a plain Beast Below and a weak Dalek tale in its first had the sterling Flesh & Stone / Time of The Angels an Aliens level spin on the Angels. Then Vincent & the Doctor was a good character piece. I am not a big fan of the Silurian story but adore The Lodger. Pandorica/Big Bang is "timey wimey" and large scale. I don't love it but it is better than Series 3's for sure

As for Capaldi's finale, in a sense they did not try to tie together as many loose ends as with Stolen Earth and End of Time. Which was good. I did not care for the evolved Cybermen. Cannon fodder. Simm's Master though deeper here than under RTD took away from the visible conflict of Gomez's Master.

Bill's transformation scenes were excellent TV. Mackie sold it well. Her acting in this exit episode was well played again but too hokey to have a very similar "cheating death" trope of flying away with the Pilot.

Clara & Me had a remarkably similar coda in Hell Bent the wishful, feelgood conclusion after the deep brilliance of Heaven Sent.

For World Enough and Time the network BBC America should stop spoiling the endings this was the worst so far - they had a reveal of key shot at about 45 minutes in of the cliffhanger - other than that it was the best episode of a so-so season story wise which had very good acting from Pearl and Capaldi. Lucas' Nardole was disappointing very nebulous. A sideshow act?

While it did not trample on all of the backstory of Bill like Hell Bent did, it had a similar feelgood ending that took away from perhaps an even more stunning conclusion. Lots of fanfic awaits.

Rachel Talalay directed stories:
Moff's 12th Doc "Closer"

Dark Water 8 /10
Death in Heaven 6 / 10
Heaven Sent 10 / 10
Hell Bent 7 / 10
World Enough and Time 10 / 10
The Doctor Falls 8 / 10

I suspect The Doctors will combine aspects of setup which Moff is very good at and heartfelt slightly maudlin feelings which is in my book not my favorite aspect of his storytelling. Especially come Christmas time.

I don't watch much scripted TV drama so I am not familiar with Chibnall. Should be interesting. But a long long time of speculation on how it goes.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2017, 03:09:31 PM »

HERE WE GO!

The next doctor will be announced after the Wimbledon Men's Final this Sunday!
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2017, 04:01:51 PM »

HERE WE GO!

I hope to God it's not Kris Marshall.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2017, 09:49:28 PM »

HERE WE GO!

When is the Wimbledon final usually finished? British GP is from 2 pm local time so I hope not during the race
lordroel
Rookie
Netherlands

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2017, 03:32:12 AM »

HERE WE GO!

I hope its not a women.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2017, 04:44:08 AM »

HERE WE GO!

I hope its not a women.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2017, 07:02:54 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2017, 08:39:44 AM by Castro »

They should just let the winner of the match be cast. So, the 13th Doctor is either Federer or Cilic.

Seriously though, there is a new name that has risen in the odds very recently: Jodie Whittaker
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2017, 04:06:05 PM »

They should just let the winner of the match be cast. So, the 13th Doctor is either Federer or Cilic.

Seriously though, there is a new name that has risen in the odds very recently: Jodie Whittaker

Still sounds like we're getting a female Doctor.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2017, 05:29:15 PM »

Still sounds like we're getting a female Doctor.

Sad
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »

And the new Doctor is...............JODIE WHITTAKER
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2017, 10:31:56 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2017, 10:33:59 AM by Representative Illiniwek »

Couldn't be more disappointed. Jumped the shark.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2017, 10:41:13 AM »

Oh, God forbid a woman play an alien time traveler! The world's gone mad!
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2017, 10:57:51 AM »

Time for everyone to look up "What the hell is a Jodie Whittaker?!"
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2017, 11:00:04 AM »

She was on Black Mirror that one episode.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2017, 11:19:49 AM »

She was on Black Mirror that one episode.

Oh yeah, I knew she looked familiar.  I guess that's where I've seen her before.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »

I guess it's probably fine to post spoilers now without color hiding it. I liked Jodie in what I've seen her in, but it could take some getting used to given the history of the role. I have a feeling this'll probably just follow the standard cycle with Capaldi, where I was apprehensive at first but I've come to like his portrayal.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2017, 11:30:43 AM »

A fine actor who has been very good in a lot of tricky parts. Most notable TV role to date was in Broadchurch.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »

I'm o.k. with this.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2017, 02:18:50 PM »

^ This.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2017, 02:37:40 PM »

I'm so angry about Jodie Whittaker being made the next Doctor. But I'm also angry that they've made me so angry about the lack of a penis in a TV show, which sounds extremely weird when I say it like that. But it's not weird, it's normal. Yes it is, shut up. Just b/c Gallifrey doesn't actually exist & time travel isn't really possible, doesn't mean the writers can just go around making stuff up about the people they've made up. /s Tongue

In all seriousness, I'm absolutely psyched for the new Doctor!!! Is it Christmas yet?
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2017, 04:39:56 PM »

The sexism happening on social media, and just overall meaningless hate is horrific... how the f**k is it a bad thing that the Doctor is female?! It's not, ok, just deal with it
/rant
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2017, 04:51:40 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2017, 04:54:44 PM by Acting Southern Speaker TimTurner »

The sexism happening on social media, and just overall meaningless hate is horrific... how the f**k is it a bad thing that the Doctor is female?! It's not, ok, just deal with it
/rant
Maleness is at the core of the Doctor, as is generally understood. Females deserve more leading roles, but the best solution for that is new female characters, not messing with old characters that are historically male. It just robs a character of much-needed consistency.
It'd be like if they wanted to make James Bond a female. Such an effort would be terrible and bad.
The higher ups have made a bad decision re: the new Doctor, no doubt about it.  If Jodie was a good actor (I'll willing to believe that being the case) they should have made her a side character, a companion. And made her important, like how Romana was.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2017, 05:02:01 PM »

She was good in Broadchurch though her character wasn't very likeable.

While I'm not a big Dr. Who fan I'm a bit confused about the outrage. This is a character who inhabits a human form right? Why couldn't it be a female human form? :/

(Apart from the sexism that is)

Also, I'm commenting because my Facebook feed exploded with this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies