Peter Capaldi is leaving Doctor Who
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:37:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Peter Capaldi is leaving Doctor Who
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Peter Capaldi is leaving Doctor Who  (Read 5817 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2017, 03:49:10 AM »

The Sun has just published nude photos of Whittaker with an anti-female Doctor editorial. This is getting [inks]ing ridiculous.

As i thought. This is legitimate sexism and it's f***ing disgusting.

Personally, I don't care if the Doctor's male or female; it's already been established as canon that Time Lords can regenerate into either male or female forms. As long as Jodie does a good job with the role (and judging from her resume, she will), then I'm fine with it.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2017, 04:57:22 AM »

But its not a gendered role though!  Never has been (well, since the whole regeneration concept was invented... in 1966!), and now quite clearly never will be.  Your ludicrous comparison with James Bond (which is a gendered role - although I'm actually interested about how a James Bond film with a women lead would go) falls down purely because of that point.

I mean this is a level of closed mindedness about an always evolving TV series that's both very silly - but also expected considering who I'm talking to.

How can you say the doctor has never been a gendered role while James Bond has??? What about when he asked Clara if he was a good man? What about "The Husbands of River Song?" What about being the "mad man in a silly blue box?" Before Missy and that one Time Lord general there was nothing to suggest that Time Lord's weren't a specific gender, and over all those years the doctor was always a man. And no, comparisons to James Bond is not "ludicrous"... how were those two character's gender ever portrayed differently over all these years?

It's pretty clear from the 10-into-11 regeneration that The Doctor doesn't mind if he becomes a girl. Smith, while feeling his hair (substantially longer than Tennant's), exclaims, "I'm a girl? I'm a girl!" This proves two points: a) Changing genders must be fairly common for Time Lords, far more common than the TV series would suggest and, b) The Doctor doesn't mind the possibility of becoming a woman. What he was more concerned with was whether or not he was a ginger. Sadly, not.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2017, 12:36:47 PM by Acting Southern Speaker TimTurner »

The Sun has just published nude photos of Whittaker with an anti-female Doctor editorial. This is getting [inks]ing ridiculous.

As i thought. This is legitimate sexism and it's f***ing disgusting.
(the releasing of nude pictures is NEVER o.k.  Editorializing against a female doctor isn't by itself sexism, obviously, but would likely inevitably be if it's the Sun doing it)
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2017, 05:07:03 PM »

On an unrelated (well, somewhat related) note, Capaldi and Moffat's LAST RODEO has been titled "Twice Upon a Time", which is much better than its old title, "The Doctors". Not "The Two(ish) Doctors Reboot" as I had hoped, but whatever.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2017, 09:56:53 AM »

So, I saw Pearl Mackie at the Berlin Comic-Con today and even had the opportunity to exchange a few words with her.

She's a pretty nice and outgoing person. Actually, not that radically different from the character she played on Doctor Who, except maybe less confused and chaotic. Cheesy
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2017, 11:36:25 AM »

So what did everyone think of the Christmas special?
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2017, 01:57:59 PM »

Meh. Not bad, but not spectacular. Probably 3.5-4/5
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2018, 07:48:39 AM »

I actually watched it Christmas night. I thought it was fantastic, probably the best Doctor Who Christmas special. David Bradley was probably one of the best people they could've cast to play the First Doctor in place of William Hartnell. I saw the An Adventure in Space and Time special a couple year ago and I think his performance was just as good in this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies