This is why I do not like rematches: (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:41:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  This is why I do not like rematches: (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: This is why I do not like rematches:  (Read 1762 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: February 05, 2017, 12:39:38 PM »

How we feeling about the Applegate/Issa rematch?

Wasn't Applegate just a some dude that the DCCC parachuted in for with money once they realized Issa was a lot more vulnerable than they originally thought?

I don't think the result of that race was specific to Applegate. The leanings of Issa's district is probably slipping out from underneath him and a stronger, better funded candidate might be able to finish him off in 2018.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 01:07:12 PM »

Exactly. From what I understand the GOP has been doing research on Applegate and found some questionable past activity. Maybe includes a restraining order but that is just memory. My feeling is that Applegate vs Issa could work out in a rematch if 2018 is a strong enough Democratic wave but it could end up closer to Love v Owens rematch in a neutral year. Though probably not as bad.

Yes:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-doug-applegate-allegations-20160913-snap-story.html

I remember this revelation being posted to this forum as well. At least some thought he was done for. Obviously that wasn't the case, but I don't think it is insignificant going into the midterms.

Applegate caught Issa by surprise, and in a situation like that, a weaker candidate can do better. Now Issa will have had 2 years to prepare, and the Democratic challenger needs to have less weak spots, decent campaigning skills and at least the ability to raise enough money to compete with the House GOP caucus's wealthiest member. That's just my opinion, anyway.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies