Would you rather live in New York City or East Tennessee?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:43:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you rather live in New York City or East Tennessee?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
New York City

East Tennessee

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Would you rather live in New York City or East Tennessee?  (Read 1287 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2017, 08:10:57 PM »

?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 08:19:16 PM »

New York City, I suppose.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 08:24:02 PM »

East Tennessee. Knoxville is a quite a pretty place to live in, and to have The Great Smokies as the backyard.

Also, $1600+ rent for an apartment? No thanks!
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 08:29:44 PM »

Either would do, but NYC is too atomizing. East TN it is, by a nose.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 08:43:44 PM »

The correct answer is "NYC so i can live near my best bud LLR who's really cool"

someone empty quote this please I'm lonely
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 09:12:04 PM »

What do you think?

*But, Middle Tennessee is better!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 09:22:44 PM »

Does Chattanooga count as East Tennessee? I want to take advantage of their high-speed internet (Fastest in the nation, IIRC).
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 09:44:45 PM »

The correct answer is "NYC so i can live near my best bud LLR who's really cool"
(Even though I'd rather live in Tennessee tbh)
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 09:59:18 PM »

East Tennessee. I don't like densely-populated areas, high-tax areas, areas with bad traffic, or areas with tons of liberals. Fine to visit, but wouldn't want to live there. Already did it once when I lived in Chicago.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »

East Tennessee. Knoxville is a quite a pretty place to live in, and to have The Great Smokies as the backyard.

Don't you live in the Bay Area?
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 10:08:40 PM »

Does Chattanooga count as East Tennessee? I want to take advantage of their high-speed internet (Fastest in the nation, IIRC).

Yes, Chattanooga is considered East Tennessee.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 10:11:28 PM »

East Tennessee.  I don't do cities.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 10:14:41 PM »

Neither would be a good fit for me, but I guess NYC.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 10:31:32 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2017, 10:33:29 PM by Delegate OneJ_ »

Chattanooga is a really nice place. Pigeon Forge isn't bad either except for that traffic during Thanksgiving (which does not compare to NYC).

I'd probably fit in in NYC (urban, minority majority, etc.), but the traffic would be too much. A Mississippian would take time getting used to it.

So I guess East TN (Chattanooga) it is! I don't see myself living anywhere rural.

But NYC could be liveable.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 10:46:13 PM »

What are my career aspirations?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 11:02:42 PM »

Then East Tennessee it is! On the condition that I never have to leave the house or talk to any of the locals.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 11:35:47 PM »

Then East Tennessee it is! On the condition that I never have to leave the house or talk to any of the locals.

-There were nearly as many Hillary primary voters as Trump primary voters in Hamilton County, TN. After these, Rubio, then Cruz, then Sanders, then Carson, then Kasich. In November, it went for Trump with 55% of the vote (Hillary got 39%). So some of the locals may be sympathetic to your cause.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 12:08:01 AM »

Don't you live in the Bay Area?

At my parent's house where I grew up, certainly.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 12:19:02 AM »

NYC is great, also have family there which helps. East Tennessee seems like a middle class boredom hell hole.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 12:23:04 AM »

I guess NYC.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 12:47:23 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2017, 12:51:18 AM by ExtremeRepublican »

NYC is great, also have family there which helps. East Tennessee seems like a middle class boredom hell hole.

There is a decent amount of wealth in the Knoxville area of East Tennessee.  The wealthiest county in the South (aka not the DC suburbs) is also in Tennessee, but in Middle Tennessee (Williamson County).  It's both the wealthiest county in the country (when adjusted for cost of living) and the most traditionally conservative county in the country, according to the Daily Caller.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/03/19/americas-most-conservative-friendly-county-is-williamson-county-horse-farms-guitar-shaped-pools-and-low-taxes/
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 01:05:20 AM »

There is a decent amount of wealth in the Knoxville area of East Tennessee.  The wealthiest county in the South (aka not the DC suburbs) is also in Tennessee, but in Middle Tennessee (Williamson County).  It's both the wealthiest county in the country (when adjusted for cost of living) and the most traditionally conservative county in the country, according to the Daily Caller.

http://dailycaller.com/2010/03/19/americas-most-conservative-friendly-county-is-williamson-county-horse-farms-guitar-shaped-pools-and-low-taxes/

In my experience, large cities that are both wealthy and relatively conservative are comprised almost entirely of strip malls and big box stores (See: Houston, TX). How true is this of Knoxville?
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 01:11:18 AM »

In my experience, large cities that are both wealthy and relatively conservative are comprised almost entirely of strip malls and big box stores (See: Houston, TX). How true is this of Knoxville?

I honestly don't have as much experience with Knoxville, but it isn't going to have the level of urbanization as somewhere like New York or Chicago.  There is definitely a business district and a college-town area, but there is certainly a lot of suburbia.  That's pretty common for cities in the South.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2017, 01:15:59 AM »

I honestly don't have as much experience with Knoxville, but it isn't going to have the level of urbanization as somewhere like New York or Chicago.  There is definitely a business district and a college-town area, but there is certainly a lot of suburbia.  That's pretty common for cities in the South.

That's roughly what I remember of it. But c'mon Chicago has lots of burbs too, and all of it is so boringly flat.

Least Knoxville has The Great Smokies not too far away.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2017, 01:17:07 AM »

Outside of academia and certain white collar government or analytical positions, I'd imagine that I'm more apt for work in rural areas than urban areas--unless referred-to urban areas need construction work. My "professional background" is in demolition, electrical work, facilities management, and security. Academically, it is in the behavioral sciences (specifically those pertaining to the state--political science and criminology).
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies