Election 2016: What if Justice Scalia Died on November 5, 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:44:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Election 2016: What if Justice Scalia Died on November 5, 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Election 2016: What if Justice Scalia Died on November 5, 2016?  (Read 686 times)
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2017, 08:19:06 PM »
« edited: February 01, 2017, 08:08:28 AM by libertpaulian »

Everything else stays the same.  Trump and Clinton win their respective primaries and get nominated.  Wikileaks still releases the DNC e-mails and shady stuff about Clinton.  Pussygate, Alicia Machado, Nasty Woman, etc. still happen.  Clinton has her pneumonia fainting spell at the 9/11 Memorial.  Most importantly, Comeygate still happens in late October, and he still makes the announcement that there's nothing incriminating on November 6.

However, there's a new twist.

On November 5, the day before Comey announces that there's nothing else to investigate, Justice Scalia dies from the same health condition he did as if he died OTL.

How does that change the dynamics of the election?  Would Trump still win?

Discuss with maps.

ADDENDUM: ExtremeRepublican made a GREAT point in a post below mine.  He asked that another good question would be how the election would go if Scalia were still alive.  You can make points about that too.

Maybe post a map of how the election would be if Scalia died on November 5, and another map if Scalia were still alive.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 10:25:13 PM »

Turnout goes up five to ten percent. NH, MI, and MN flip.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 11:20:36 PM »

I know the court rules on far, far more than social issues, but New Hampshire flipping because of that? Guys, remember, New Hampshire is very socially liberal, and with a STRONG pro-choice tradition (see Warren Rudman, David Souter, etc.). It's not a religious right place at all, and those were the types who were fired up the most by the court. And MI and MN switching places seems kind of strange. One difference is that Trump probably wouldn't have have come up with "the list," since Scalia's death really put the Supreme Court to the center, even though it was clear that it would end up being important.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:03:26 AM »

That would probably have made Trump do better because the Supreme Court would have been more on voters' minds, and voters who listed that as a concern went overwhelmingly for Trump. 

Now, I would ask who would have won if Scalia were still alive today.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 07:50:28 PM »

That would probably have made Trump do better because the Supreme Court would have been more on voters' minds, and voters who listed that as a concern went overwhelmingly for Trump. 

Now, I would ask who would have won if Scalia were still alive today.
Maybe SCOTUS would still have been an issue due to age?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 10:44:14 PM »

I know the court rules on far, far more than social issues, but New Hampshire flipping because of that? Guys, remember, New Hampshire is very socially liberal, and with a STRONG pro-choice tradition (see Warren Rudman, David Souter, etc.). It's not a religious right place at all, and those were the types who were fired up the most by the court. And MI and MN switching places seems kind of strange. One difference is that Trump probably wouldn't have have come up with "the list," since Scalia's death really put the Supreme Court to the center, even though it was clear that it would end up being important.

I presumed Minnesota would get more attention. AA a turnout would go up. Finally, without Garland's non-confirmation dragging her down, Ayotte would probably get another ten thousand votes. Cross-coat tails would pull Trump across. That's why only the three closest states without a Senate race flipped. Maine might flip, but all states won by under five percent, besides MN, ME, and MI, had a Senate race.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies